Is the driving experience getting worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed it being much worse probably over the past 3 years or so. I have to say driver dependence (or distraction) on smartphones is the main cause. If I have to make a harder stop than usual, for any reason, I am now usually much more cautious about the driver behind me. I say there's a 50/50 shot they're on their phone. It's bad. My driving defense methods have certainly changed over the years.

I used to enjoy my commute to work, now i'm contemplating getting a dash cam just because of all the stupid s**t I see everyday now. There is constantly wrecks on the street my shop is on because of people going 15- 20 over and tailgating / cutting each other off and then slamming on their brakes to turn into one of the many driveways.

Also on the topic of people on cell phones, a couple weeks ago I saw a guy going 75-80 down the interstate while reading a newspaper. Lol

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Same with those who can't tell a green traffic light is getting "ripe" and apply a little more effort to get through before a yellow/red. I swear sometimes they slow down to read the "Red Bull 2/$5" signs at the corner gas station!

Some slow down and brake on green for 2-5 seconds at every intersection. This truly drove me nut.

Quote:
I think we should change the laws. If you're caught texting and driving you either lose you license for 5 years or you are forced to drive a manual transmission car for the next 2-3 years. Problem solved.

Good one JC. My kids tell me they don't text and drive. Nonetheless, the cars they drive are manual transmission for this very reason.

Anything mentioned above can be applied to the lake on the weekend.

Originally Posted By: jigen
I've noticed it being much worse probably over the past 3 years or so. I have to say driver dependence (or distraction) on smartphones is the main cause. If I have to make a harder stop than usual, for any reason, I am now usually much more cautious about the driver behind me. I say there's a 50/50 shot they're on their phone. It's bad. My driving defense methods have certainly changed over the years.

I tow a lawn care trailer around and since I can't stop as fast as everyone else I give extra space than I normally wood, also so I don't have to waste a bunch of fuel getting back up to speed, People don't understand this and frequently I have people cutting in front of me and taking up the extra 20 feet I need to stop without rear ending someone. Idiots. It generally helps if I don't have an $8,000 dollar mower slamming around on the trailer, not that it does, but the parking brake only holds so well. It's enclosed, so it won't go anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: JC1
I think we should change the laws. If you're caught texting and driving you either lose you license for 5 years or you are forced to drive a manual transmission car for the next 2-3 years. Problem solved.

I didn't text or even change radio station while driving my manual transmission S2000.

Come to Michigan...we'll probably kill you with our cars here......

Feel like I have a near miss now nearly once a week. I had two this week....one today where someone pulled out of a gas station right in front of me.....ended up hopping the curb to get out of the way! It's turning into a free for all here. Seen a NASCAR like accident on both I-696 and I-69. Red lights tend to be optional. I tend to be easier on my car...get honked at now quite a bit (not lighting the tires at the light or slamming on my brakes like everyone else) Here, the people aren't just dumb, more are now plain nasty.

Kinda sad...love the state, but the people are going to drive me out.

And yes, the test to drive is way too easy....

Whatever happened to having a heart when driving? If someone is on the entrance ramp trying to get on, how about accommodating them instead of trying to run them off the road? Little courtesies do a lot toward making someone's day.

Last night I had a driver in front of me go left and right- brake and do that same deal for several minutes.
At a intersection I pulled up to her and found out why- texting.
In the dark on a bad road. And the woman was in her late 60's.... stupid!

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
This is no joke ... I usually see some idiotic move by a driver at least every 3 minutes while I'm on the road. I can't even drive 1 mile from my house without seeing inept driver's behind the wheel. And it seems to be getting worse with time.

I will say that the general level of driving acumen is lower in the States, as compared to say Europe. It is too easy to get a License here.

Do you still have your 'Busa? Ever talk to Cookie, Twisted, or Joe? I hope things are well with you.

I figured that was the 02SE from the SH.org days gone by. I still do have the Busa, but have lost touch with those guys a long time ago. Hope you're doing well!

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Whatever happened to having a heart when driving? If someone is on the entrance ramp trying to get on, how about accommodating them instead of trying to run them off the road? Little courtesies do a lot toward making someone's day.

I try to do that as much as possible. But the problem most of the time is that people don't know how to get on or off freeways anymore. What I see a lot of the time is that most drivers will be courteous back if they receive courtesy from others as well. Some maniac trying to cut people off at the last second to get on or off the freeway usually don't get much courtesy from others. If they use blinkers correctly and do it right, others will open up and let them on or off without any problems.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
This is no joke ... I usually see some idiotic move by a driver at least every 3 minutes while I'm on the road. I can't even drive 1 mile from my house without seeing inept driver's behind the wheel. And it seems to be getting worse with time.

I will say that the general level of driving acumen is lower in the States, as compared to say Europe. It is too easy to get a License here.

Do you still have your 'Busa? Ever talk to Cookie, Twisted, or Joe? I hope things are well with you.

I figured that was the 02SE from the SH.org days gone by. I still do have the Busa, but have lost touch with those guys a long time ago. Hope you're doing well!

Yep, it is I. When Dennis lost the plot, I lost interest in that board. I guess we both did.
wink.gif

It's probably been four years since I last talked to Chris. Joe, I only talked to online. And Dwayne... I never figured him out.

The old Bus has been heavily modded with an eye towards Rad Greaves old AMA Formula Extreme 'Busa. All-motor, and much larger displacement. I took a lot of advice from DaveO (RIP), when modding it. I also added a '15 S1000RR to the stable. It's a great touring bike with heated grips, and cruise control.
grin.gif

I am doing well.

I try to do that as much as possible. But the problem most of the time is that people don't know how to get on or off freeways anymore.

Exactly. Even here, with little traffic and the weird hours I travel, no one knows how to merge onto the Ring Road! Most of the ramps are long enough to get up to some semblance of speed, and when I'm the only person who's actually on the Ring Road, with a mile gap ahead of me and behind me, and they're trying to merge on, I'm not exactly sure why they feel it's necessary to shadow me exactly as they go on the onramp parallel to me on the main road, and then slam on their brakes and bail at the last second, or hit the gas and cut me off. In some instances, they even have their own lane and don't bother using it.

If the morons around here would achieve a speed of more than 40 mph at the top of an entrance ramp merges would work a lot better. On top of that, getting into the right lane to pass traffic while approaching an entrance ramp has to be one of the dumbest things I see on a daily basis. Traffic problems are caused by behaviors, not by traffic density.

You can't fix stupid. It is the constant for humanity.

I try to do that as much as possible. But the problem most of the time is that people don't know how to get on or off freeways anymore. What I see a lot of the time is that most drivers will be courteous back if they receive courtesy from others as well. Some maniac trying to cut people off at the last second to get on or off the freeway usually don't get much courtesy from others. If they use blinkers correctly and do it right, others will open up and let them on or off without any problems.

I see people trying to merge onto a highway all the time doing like 35-40 MPH, AND they expect people traveling in the right lane of the highway to move over a lane to let them in. They either don't know how to properly merge, or they just don't care...unfortunately for most, I think it's the latter...

Add to all of the OP's problems noted in his original post, the drivers who seem to think their time is more valuable than anyone else's, so they speed, tailgate, and basically do whatever they have to to get in front of every other driver on the road...much, if not most of today's bad driving is intentional...

Nicely written, fdcg27. The driving IS getting worse. We live in a time where kids are the result of a dire "education" system where the intellect is praised and the general level of intelligence is going down and down. There's a great lack of caring out there too. society is moving away from printed word to images on screen that are everywhere....hence its become the spectacle of the self...me, me, me. This all plays out on the roads.

Here in South Florida there's little pleasure in driving anymore. I grew up in England and do remember there being actual pleasure to drive. I did a 30 min commute that had me indulge in a 50/50 split of fabulous winding country roads and faster "A" roads where I'd hit 80mph. Its easy to compare but learning to drive with roundabouts and a driving population that understood how to use them was far, far better than having to loose 100% of momentum to stop for a red light. These stop lights are dumb. wasteful of gas/brakes/time, So badly thought out, but there is simply not the discipline or intelligence to use a 3, 4, or even 5 lane roundabout without it turning into a junk yard, here. There are so many little methods of driving courtesy that I have forgotten since ive lived here, I stopped doing them since when I did, other drivers didnt even understand what I was doing or offering them. When I first lived here and had to drive, I was AMAZED, floored at what people do on I95. It was scary and getting used to the style was daunting for a good while. By the way, im not doing an "england is better" thing. I gave up on patriotism years ago.

From behind them, Ive got to know the signs when someone is messing with the phone. I change lanes and get away from them...if not, im NOT shy to honk at them to let them know that there IS someone behind them that needs to be somewhere!...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
An excellent example of a really uniformed attitude.
Driving on the street is a cooperative endeavor, not a competitive one.

One of these days, some old Florida cracker driving an elderly full-sized pickup or van will decide not to yield to one of this lady's unsignaled lane changes and will simply run into her. A bad day for her might then ensue.
Driving stupid does have its penalties.

Your example would fine except if the mean idiots dart in front of you and you hit them in the rear it will be your fault.

". . . more drivers are not using turn signals while changing lanes."

Drivers in Da Swamp are terribly confused by all those weird stalks sticking out from the steering column. They respond by ignoring them -- as they ignore red lights, right-turn-on-red-after-stop, and speed limits.

What I see are more drivers turning on the turn signals and leaving them on. Nine times out of ten they are looking in their laps at their phones or using one hand to have the phone plastered against an ear. I see this daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back