choice between reciprocating corded saws

Status
Not open for further replies.
lowes locally, $79 dewalt, assembled in US but made in mexico I think
makita from amazon, $89 with free shipping, made in china but with Japanese oversight (odd that japanese companies can get good quality out of the Chinese and some US companies can not.

which to buy?

Last edited:
Your probably splitting hairs thinking one is better than the other. I'd get the Dewalt as it's a tad cheaper, made in north America and its at a brick & mortar. I'm a semi mechanic at UPS, we don't need anymore business, but brick & mortars do.

Which one has more/better features like easy tool less blade change, orbital action, easy to grip, length of cord, nice case, multi speed range and variable speed trigger, blade clamp that allows blade to be inserted either way, OA length. Go to a store and handle them both then decide...but either will give you good service.

I've had my Makita for over a decade. It's always done what I've asked it to do.

I also own some Dewalt products and I've never had any trouble from them.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Dewalt you can have tonight, the parts are screwed together in the USA, and it's yellow. What other choice is there?

I'm not sure the mikwaukee ones are us made any more, so I'd consider going dewalt. A lot of makita stuff is made in the USA. This isn't. I think I'd pass.

I have a DeWalt and a Makita. The DeWalt has tool-less blade changes. The Makita replaces one that died after being used for demo work. I have also had a Milwaukee. It ran a long time, but died too.

If I was to go out and do it right now, I'd just get another DeWalt. I'd spend the money on good bi-metal blades in a wide assortment of tooth counts and lengths... That's where the work gets done
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Which one has more/better features like easy tool less blade change, orbital action, easy to grip, length of cord, nice case, multi speed range and variable speed trigger, blade clamp that allows blade to be inserted either way, OA length. Go to a store and handle them both then decide...but either will give you good service.

I have the dewalt corded one. Tool less blade changes and the ability to put the blade in 4 directions make it an easy descision.

Either would probably be OK, I have 30 year old Milwaukee that I cannot kill, Brushes, Trigger, & a Cord are all it's ever needed. I have a 9 year old 18volt battery powered Dewalt that has been good but I don't put it through hard core task.

A new Milwaukee would probably be Chinese made, My Portable Band Saw is made in China.....But is a VERY good saw.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Either would probably be OK, I have 30 year old Milwaukee that I cannot kill, Brushes, Trigger, & a Cord are all it's ever needed. I have a 9 year old 18volt battery powered Dewalt that has been good but I don't put it through hard core task.

A new Milwaukee would probably be Chinese made, My Portable Band Saw is made in China.....But is a VERY good saw.

Milwaukee was the first to make the sawzall, and they build the best one. OP find a Home Depot and for $99 everyday you can have a Milwaukee corded unit. As a tradesman I can tell you that the Milwaukee sawzall is hands down the best IMO. Stop and ask any plumber or electrician to show you their power tools. I bet they are mostly Milwaukee
thumbsup2.gif

The DeWalt sawzalls are not as fast or as powerful. They are fairly durable tho. The Makita is a decent saw. If you are lowes shopping the Hitatchi is a very good and tough unit for around $80.

From my professional opinion the Milwaukee at $99 at Home Depot is your Best Buy. Second choice for a sub $100 unit would be the $80 Hitatchi unit at lowes.

If you want a monster the 15amp Milwaukee super sawzall at Home Depot can be had for less than $200.

Last edited:

No it isn't, its made in the USA. The Chicom made Makita and the under powered Black&Decker Dewalt dont even come close.
Quote:
12A SAWZALL 1-1/8"STROKE W/CASE. The product is easy to use. The product is durable. The product is manufactured in United States.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6519-31-Amp-Sawzall-Reciprocating/dp/B003FXD6L4

My Milwaukee has done more duty with a pruning blade than anything else. And it just eats the work up. Take care of a Milwaukee saw and it will probably outlast the owner. I know mine will.

Originally Posted By: Trav

No it isn't, its made in the USA. The Chicom made Makita and the under powered Black&Decker Dewalt dont even come close.
Quote:
12A SAWZALL 1-1/8"STROKE W/CASE. The product is easy to use. The product is durable. The product is manufactured in United States.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6519-31-Amp-Sawzall-Reciprocating/dp/B003FXD6L4

Did you read your link you posted?

Part Number 6519-31
Item Weight 12 pounds
Product Dimensions 22.3 x 11.2 x 5.2 inches
Origin China

Milwaukee IS Chinese owned by the same company that owns Ryobi, Techtronic industries.

Oh so the fact the manufacturers description says USA means nothing?
The specs on a 1/2" air impact gun had it as 120v so the spec sheet means nothing, the review's also say made in USA.
Easy go to HD and look at one, mine is USA.

Last edited:

Quote:

That's great to know. I wonder if the models sold at HD are USA made, or if its an offshore model to hit a price point. HD carries US and non-US DeWalt stuff on their shelf space, which even if one isn't a DeWalt fan, still is a nice move on DeWalt and HD's part (and B&D pays taxes to the USA, not sure if the Milwaukee holding company does). I have been more and more disappointed as Milwaukee takes more and more of their classic US made items to China to satisfy their Chinese owners masters.

Quote:

It sucks my Deep Cut Portable Band Saw is made in China, It cost over 3 times what a Sawzall cost.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back