GM LS 6.0 Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning All

Been reading for the last few days on different options of oil for my 2 LQ4 GM 6.0 engines. Both are in 2500 vehicles with over 125K miles.

For the past 5 years all I ran was Mobil1 5W-30 for 5K miles. Both motors tend to burn a quart over this time period.

Lately I've been thinking of changing it up to see if I can stop the oil burn. Here is what I was looking at:

Mobil1 5W-10 HM or 10W-30 HM

Delo 400 XLE 10W-30

Rotella T6 5W-40

Delvac 1300 15W40

What are is y'alls thoughts and suggestions?

Valvoline MaxLife 10w30 all the way.
laugh.gif

As a LQ4 owner myself...none of the above.

Step #1: Order 1qt. Kreen. http://www.kanolabs.com/engCle.html

This will not only take care of the rings, but the problematic PCV as well; half a can in the gas tank, half a can in the oil. Run for 500-1000 miles, then drain.

Step #2: Get whatever cheap dexos1 5w-30 you'd like. Magnatec is available at Walmart for $17/5qts. and it's what I've been using.

Step #3: Change according to the oil life monitor.

This strategy has resulted in excellent results for me, with no oil consumption/no oil added during the drain interval.

Ramblejam hit it on the head.

Kreen is the bomb for a nice thorough cleaning. We have used it in many different vehicles and the results can be amazing.

Then run whatever 5w-30 dexos approved oil you like. Expect extremely long engine life. The OLM on GM V8's is excellent...

Originally Posted By: akcooper9
Morning All

Been reading for the last few days on different options of oil for my 2 LQ4 GM 6.0 engines. Both are in 2500 vehicles with over 125K miles.

For the past 5 years all I ran was Mobil1 5W-30 for 5K miles. Both motors tend to burn a quart over this time period.

Lately I've been thinking of changing it up to see if I can stop the oil burn. Here is what I was looking at:

Delo 400 XLE 10W-30

Rotella T6 5W-40

Delvac 1300 15W40

Using one qt per 5K is very normal. Thicker oils may slow it down a little, but there may be negatives along with it.

First off -
welcome2.gif

In my 6.0 , I had good results with Castrol GTX HM 5w30 - it didn't use a drop, where before I'd add at least a qt between changes.
Using Amsoil it will use - .5 to 1 qt off the bat , then stop using oil all the way until changing it.
Next oil change I'm using 5w40 PU (old formula) - we'll see how that goes.

Thanks all. Reason I included HDEO in the search was due to being able to get two oil changes for the price of one PCMO.

I also read that M1 is on the thinner side of 30W. How do the HM oils compare to the HDEO?

I've got the LQ9 high output 6.0L in a Sierra Denali. 145k miles. Only Mobil 1 5W/30 its whole life with the last 70k miles using the Extended performance version. I run 5500-6500 mile intervals. Mine Does NOT use any oil....do the kreen treatment the guys above were talking about or (whhat I do every oil change) spray a can of intake cleaner thru with motor running.You may possibly want to switch to Mobil 1 High Mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Morning All

Delo 400 XLE 10W-30

Rotella T6 5W-40

Delvac 1300 15W40

Using one qt per 5K is very normal. Thicker oils may slow it down a little, but there may be negatives along with it.

I kind of agree with Tig, although he doesnt burn oil in 10k OCIs. If you are towing or running brisk through the gears I agree and think some burning is healthy for proper operation.

I think you want to be careful introducing anything foreign into the throttle butterfly or gas tank. I consider doing things like that (as well as stop leak products) a last ditch effort.

I put about 2500 miles on my 2500 (non-HD) with a 6094M oil and the level did drop in just under a year. But the previous owner, I think, claimed no burning or leaks and the level was spot on when I took delivery. Thanks for bringing up the subject as I may 'work my way upthe scales' and try a Dexos1 oil next and maybe even a full synthetic one day.

Using any kind of cleaner or (whatever system it's designed to treat) "restorer" in an effort to correct a mechanical problem is a poor idea, but I've had too good a result with Seafoam through induction and fuel system not to disagree that it's good for more than a "last ditch" effort. One must be careful what they soak down the intake passages with, as it can harm sensors, etc. but some products are a good maintenance habit when used in moderation.

Last edited:
How do the HM oils compare to the HDEO?

It depends. In the case of a 30 Grade some are your basic PCMO ILSAC (3.0 HTHS) oil with seal sweller. Others are more like an HDEO or ACEA A3 (3.5 HTHS) type oil with a seal sweller. Some have the reduced additive levels required by ILSAC some have levels similar to a HDEO.

Mobil 1 HM 10W30 is an example of an HM that resembles an HDEO. I believe Maxlife 5W30 is more PCMO ILSAC type.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
How do the HM oils compare to the HDEO?

It depends. In the case of a 30 Grade some are your basic PCMO ILSAC (3.0 HTHS) oil with seal sweller. Others are more like an HDEO or ACEA A3 (3.5 HTHS) type oil with a seal sweller. Some have the reduced additive levels required by ILSAC some have levels similar to a HDEO.

Mobil 1 HM 10W30 is an example of an HM that resembles an HDEO. I believe Maxlife 5W30 is more PCMO ILSAC type.

That is some great information. Thank you for this!

If you're towing heavy stuff, a quart in 5k isn't bad. You could try M1 10-40 HM or M1 15W-50 (which is what I used to run in my big block Suburban when I towed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back