Old Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re 99 Avalon XLS V6 w/133K miles. Old girl will be 17 next month. OM calls for coolant change every 2 years or 30k miles. Since new, I have faithfully replaced coolant every two years using only Toyota Red (FF). Since I drive her less than 5k miles per year, was wondering if I can extend time between changes. I realize corrosion inhibitors break down over time independent of miles driven so I am reluctant to extend interval. However, the car can not last forever and changing every three years instead of two seems reasonable.

I could flush the system and replace with Toyota Pink which should last the life of the vehicle but I already have the Red on my shelf.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have Toyota Red in my '03 Sienna, similar 3 liter V-6 that your Avalon has. I have changed the coolent twice. My mechanic said it is good between timing belt changes? My engine has a 90k mile timing belt interval. I bought the van in '99, it had 63k on it then, the coolant was factory fill to my knowledge. I changed the timing belt/coolant (due to water pump replacement) in '13 at 90k. My van is at 119k right now, I don't plan on changing the coolant until the next timing belt at 180k. I believe Toyota Red can go much farther than 2 years/30k. I checked under the radiator cap a few times, no build up that I could see.

My $0.02

DB

I think it depends on how much further you intend to extend your interval, if you plan on going three to four years? I think it'll be ok.

I want to say the Toyota red is an extended life Inorganic hybrid coolant that can handle 5 years and/or 50,000 miles.

The stuff Toyota uses now is a pink coolant that can go 150,000 miles and 10 years (or maybe it's seven). Either way the coolant Toyota uses isn't the old green style IAT (inorganic acid technology), in which the additives would break down quicker and lead to corrosion issues.

Quote:
......I want to say the Toyota red is an extended life Inorganic hybrid coolant that can handle 5 years and/or 50,000 miles......

It's older type Asian PHOAT, which had a shorter service interval life as noted by the OP. Also why it's completely compatible with the SLL pink.

As for the question, in all likelihood OK to go to ~3 years with the Red with no issues. I wouldn't go much past that. I have an 01 Tacoma so have some experience with topic. Running Peak Global Lifetime now for couple/few years after complete exchange. Looking good.

Extend. Use what's on hand. Then switch and extend further
smile.gif

I own a 99 and 98 toyotas that use toyota red. I change every 4-5 years at 60% concentration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back