Stupid ? 20hp Intek b&s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accqured a mower with this engine about a month ago. It had only 40hrs on it. I was told that the first owner only used it to pull his leaf sweeper and he used his big zero turn Kubota diesel for actual mowing.

My question is since I didn't have a oil filter on hand at the time when I changed the oil. 48ozs. Can I change the oil filter now without having to drain the oil and put what I changed the oil a few weeks ago back in?

Or will it gush out too much to do a quick removal and screw a new oil filter back on. I had no idea when or if the original oil filter was changed after the break-in period when the mower was new or that it was and I should just wait and change it when it gets a 100hrs?

You see a stupid question. Not a stupid person. Ha.
I would figure it would drain just a little and I can just go fast with the switch and just wipe up the small mess. Thanks.

Change the filter on the next oil change, with only 40 hrs on it, should be good.

It will leak quite a bit of oil if you change the filter. Don't waste your time. If it really bothers you, do a shortened interval of 10-15 hours and then change the oil/filter again.

You'd probably loose 8oz or so of oil just swapping the filter. They're messy. Gotta have rags under it.

Assuming this is a Sears or MTD machine, if the filter swap is a dilemma for you, wait 'till you fiddle with the plastic "quick drain" to drain the engine oil. I threw mine right in the garbage and replaced it with a 4" 3/8" pipe nipple, elbow and plug on mine.

Last edited:
It's a McCulloch. 2011model.

Yeah, thanks I won't bother with changing the filter then. I'll wait til closer to 75 or the 100hr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back