Mouse Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the 32 ACP and the .380 were just to cease hostilities and were not really Manstoppers. That being said, my wife has very
small hands and a hand condition that renders her to not be able to absorb recoil. Would a .32 keep a perp away and if not, how about
the .380? Thanks for your opinions

Both are better than throwing rocks, I sure wouldn't want to get shot by one. A lot of guys are going to tell you that the beginning caliber for self defense is going to be a .38 special, myself included. But if she truly cannot take the recoil due to medical conditions then by all means get her a .32. People get killed all the time with a .22. While some take multiple rounds from a 9mm or .45 and still live.

Hornady and Winchester both make good hollow points for the 32 auto.

Originally Posted By: bobbob
I thought the 32 ACP and the .380 were just to cease hostilities and were not really Manstoppers. That being said, my wife has very
small hands and a hand condition that renders her to not be able to absorb recoil. Would a .32 keep a perp away and if not, how about

Would a perp attack your wife?

Who's to say? maybe/maybe not.

can they stop/kill? yes. They can. Are they optimal? No. they are not. Do I think that they can hit harder than your wife's fist, considering her medical conditions? I'd say likely so. Training will be completely key, here. I would get her involved in some courses which teach weapon retention, hand-to-hand with a firearm, and have her become proficient with it. Not just plinking at still targets on a range in some slow boring manner, but moving, shooting, retaining a weapon, simunition courses, etc.

I strongly recommend Shivworks AMIS, and Shivworks ECQC, as well as their MUC course.

Now, before the "She's a woman" "She can't do that" "We don't want to spend money on training" and all that jibberish hits the fan, I'll head it off now. You go and give the average female with tiny hands and a condition that keeps her from shooting a 9mm a pistol, offer her no training but standing in a stall at the local range popping off a round every few seconds at a target that doesn't yell scream and move, and then thrust her into a life and death situation with a guy who;s bent on raping her or stealing her ATM card, and see how her odds of butterfingering it up stand. Then take the same women who has been through good training, knows her limitations and how she can or can't count on herself to move and effect her environment, and imagine how much higher the odds will go up that she will know when/if drawing the weapon at all is best due to time/proximity, etc.

More and more I see people buying firearms and treating them like talismans. They buy a 0.5 MOA capable rifle, put a cheap scope on it with poor tracking and light transmission, and shoot 20 rounds through it, and then proclaim it "good to 800 yards!" Well...the base rifle, maybe... Same thing with handguns. You asked "Will a .32 stop an attacker?" no. it won't. It will just sit there in a magazine while the attacker does whatever. guns and bullets and good intentions don't stop anybody. Good, well-trained or lucky people using tools (whether a knife, or pistol, or whatever) are what stop bad people. Now you have to decide...is your wife going to rely on luck, or training and knowledge? Your call.

*If you get the training and learn, you will figure out her actual limits, and can make the best decision based on that. Train before buying the weapon, if that's your path, as it will save you the money and hassle of buying another weapon, or selling the one you initially bought and replacing it.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Both are better than throwing rocks, I sure wouldn't want to get shot by one. A lot of guys are going to tell you that the beginning caliber for self defense is going to be a .38 special, myself included. But if she truly cannot take the recoil due to medical conditions then by all means get her a .32. People get killed all the time with a .22. While some take multiple rounds from a 9mm or .45 and still live.

Hornady and Winchester both make good hollow points for the 32 auto.

I took care of a GSW in particular that stands out. Multiple gunshots to the limbs and torso with a 9mm or .40 (I don't recall which). They were still fighting right up until intubation. I am not at liberty to discuss that situation further, before asked. If they had a knife or handgun of their own, they could have done legit damage/killed someone.

A light, small caliber handgun is more likely to be in your possession in a situation, and while it may not have a lot of knockdown, sight and sound alone can dissuade many a reluctant assailant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbob

Bob, FWIW, I carry a variety of calibers regularly but when I go out to
the range I find I can rapid fire my 22 auto with a tight group; but I can't
accomplish that with my 380, 9mm or 45. Ten rounds of Stinger 22's is
something to think about.

For many decades the 32ACP is what many European cops carried. It isn't the best, but it can and does work. My mother, a former LEO had such bad arthritis that we can to downgrade from a 357 magnum Ruger Police Service Six to a 32acp Walther PP.

The one thing to note is that with a 380acp or 32acp, most are going to be blowback guns. Make sure the person can rack the slide or get a model with a tip up barrel like many Berettas have. Use good quality ammo and make sure they can shoot it well.

Just never go down to a 25acp...those are honestly just one step up from a pointy stick.

Sounds like revolver time. .22 mag, .32 H&R, light recoiling .38. If it's not to be carried a 4 inch steel .38(S&W model 10/similar, Colt Police Positive, etc) would be perfect.

Why does it have to be a "mouse gun"? Simply carry a slightly larger, more hand filling pistol in 9 MM, loaded with proper self defense ammunition. Proper size, weight, and fit will determine ease of handling far more than a smaller, more ineffective caliber ever will. Most of these miniscule toys are difficult to handle, have very poor to almost non existent sights, and as a direct result are extremely difficult to hit with. Let alone hit in an Adrenalin charged, self defense situation, when your life may very well depend on a successful outcome. Even experienced shooters have difficulty with these tiny guns. What sense does it make to put one in the hands of a recoil sensitive novice?

I get the part about ease of conceal ability and all of that. But a lot of this is getting to the point of being ridiculous, as these guns get so small and more difficult to hit with. The arms makers are going to make what they can sell. Period, end of story. And right now the trend is going to tiny, low capacity pistols in smaller calibers that have never been known for good man stopping power. That in itself does NOT make them the right choice..... And the object is not to "Keep the perp away". That's what Mace or pepper spray is for. The object of going to guns in a self defense shooting scenario IS TO STOP THEM.

Choose her gun based on her ability to shoot well with it.

Not caliber, and certainly not size. I would rather shoot my 10mm G20 (with full pressure 10mm, not the weakened FBI Loads) than some of the "concealed carry" 9mm pistols out there.

The issue for her is perceived recoil, so, yes, caliber, bullet weight, but also weapon weight, grip, fit and ability to operate. No good getting her a soft-shooting 9mm if she can't rack a slide due to hand strength.

I recently shot a Walther CCP in 9mm. With the gas piston system that delays the blowback, it was easier to shoot than a G19 and far easier to shoot than a G42, despite the G42 shooting .380ACP. You're going to have to search for a bit to find a weapon that she shoots well.

In order for a weapon to be effective, she has to be able to hit the target, and I would take a hit with a .22 over a miss with anything else for effectiveness in stopping an attack...

There is a husband and wife that shoot the action pistol at the gun club . This woman is petite [tiny] we were out shooting with what I thought was a Kahr P9 she was dead on just blasting away like a Jerry Miculec video. She is an awesome shooter. Being the man I am I said I have a P9 [9mm] just like that . She looked at the pistol and said .This is a P40.[S@W 40] this petite doll of a women can out `shoot most of the men shooters. Practice makes perfect. Women are wonderful shooters . When doing the 22.lr ARA matches one of the guys daughters would come home from college and shoot a match . I would look into her eyes and say I guess I am not winning my class today she would smile and nod her head.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
For many decades the 32ACP is what many European cops carried. It isn't the best, but it can and does work. My mother, a former LEO had such bad arthritis that we can to downgrade from a 357 magnum Ruger Police Service Six to a 32acp Walther PP.

The one thing to note is that with a 380acp or 32acp, most are going to be blowback guns. Make sure the person can rack the slide or get a model with a tip up barrel like many Berettas have. Use good quality ammo and make sure they can shoot it well.

Just never go down to a 25acp...those are honestly just one step up from a pointy stick.

Had a patient one time who was shot in the head with a .25 at close range (not contact). This was ancient history, and came up during the assessment questions of "previous medical interventions, surgical, etc." He said "I was shot in the head", and I said "Obviously likely with a pistol, since you're still with us." To which he replied loudly and indignantly "It was a gawddamn pimp gun! A little .25!"

Those super light mouse guns have higher recoil because there's no slide mass to absorb the recoil. Get a small 9mm and some of those Hornady critical defense lite loads.

Get her a Ruger LCR in .327 Mag. You can shoot all of the .32 rounds out of it. Can she squeeze a DAO revolver? I got my wife a .380 Ruger LCP. She will actually carry it. So the gun you carry is ALWAYS more effective than the one in your safe at home.

Last edited:
If she is going to carry then get professional training and then train some more. Most people shouldn't carry..they are not safe.
With the proper grip...both strong and weak hand crowded up as far as possible even a small handed petite woman can handle a heavy kicking, ultra light LPC. That person is likely to be able to get 3 fingers of the strong hand around the grip; where a bigger person will only 2 around. Its really not an issue.

I think some of you underestimate just how small some women's hands can be even discounting the injury portion of the equation, the first step is to identify pistols she can comfortably hold and operate... THEN worry about caliber.

A major caliber hand gun is no better than no gun if the perp can cover 50 yards while she's changing hand positions to operate it...

Might want to check out: https://www.corneredcat.com/article/choosing-firearms/gun-store-miss-adventures/

Originally Posted By: Al
If she is going to carry then get professional training and then train some more.

+1000

Find a .22 she is comfortable with. If she wants more horsepower, she can tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back