Grease for gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone

I recently purchased my first rifle. An American made AKM pattern rifle. and have been watching lots of videos on it and from what i can tell I can tell it looks like lots of guys like to put grease on the rails and bolt carrier/bolt.

So here is my question to you guys? the grease that was recommended to me was Walmart EP grease. I have some AMSOIL water resistant synthetic grease, Can I use this? is there any reason why this grease would not be just as good as the Walmart EP grease?

Thanks

Many people will agree that gun grease is largely ordinary grease with "gun" in front of it and a higher price. The main function of such is lubrication and rust prevention. That being said, you probably don't want a lubricant with an offensive odor, or one that stains clothing for a carry gun. You should try the Amsoil grease and report back how well it works. AK type guns were made to function with even mud as a lubricant. Should not do any damage.

Agree on this as an excellent grease. Bought mine at Harbor Freight.

For gun oil, you want one that doesn't harden / stick or gum in the cold and not runny in the summer. All the name brands lubricate properly. Many shooters prefer CLPs. I won't choose a product that stinks...... like motor oil or trans fluid

Last edited:
Grease: Tetra grease
Oil: Slip 2000 EWL
Solvent: Bore Tech Eliminator
I have Super Lube grease (both white & grayish tubes) but haven't tried it.

All greases lubricate, and all of them are better than what your average Iraqi or Afghani insurgent is using.

Wal-Mart or AMSOIL grease will be fine. They will stain clothes and smell bad, so dont slather it on. Just a little dab will do.

Or buy a tube of TW25B or Tetra Gun grease and they will last several years. They are low smell and won't stain clothes too.

I use TW25B on every gun I own except my AR pattern rifles, which get Slip 2000 EWL.

On my AK, I use Ballistol for the general purpose cleaning and oiling. I use Superlube grease on the rails and bolt cam. If I fire corrosive ammo, I clean the gun using a solution of about 80% water to 20% Ballistol. When I am done cleaning, I thoroughly wipe everything dry and finish by applying more ballistol and superlube. I have never had a spec of rust and everyone who sees my AK asks if it is new, even though it is almost 30 years old and has at least 10,000 rounds through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back