Another good low/mid saps choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumbled upon Kendall euro 5w40 today. Saps around .7 and TBN of 7.5. $6/qt shipped. Maybe so,e are scratching their heads, but seems like a good choice for us VW DI guys concerned about saps levels. Probably good for 5-7.5k, imo.

Anyone use it?

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I stumbled upon Kendall euro 5w40 today. Saps around .7 and TBN of 7.5. $6/qt shipped. Maybe so,e are scratching their heads, but seems like a good choice for us VW DI guys concerned about saps levels. Probably good for 5-7.5k, imo.

Anyone use it?

I would rather go with Valvoline 5W40 MST. NAPA had it on sale for $4.99. Got 25qt, has all approvals. Kendall as far as I know does not carry some, like Porsche A40.

Good option as well, thanks. I also spotted M1 Ow30 ESP, while it doesnt have the official VW approval, it looks to be similar in weight to M1 0w40, but with lower SAPS. That's what I am looking for. Nice to see that US gas is going to 10 PPM on sulfur in 2017, so these low saps oils should be more usable in the US.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Good option as well, thanks. I also spotted M1 Ow30 ESP, while it doesnt have the official VW approval, it looks to be similar in weight to M1 0w40, but with lower SAPS. That's what I am looking for. Nice to see that US gas is going to 10 PPM on sulfur in 2017, so these low saps oils should be more usable in the US.

M1 5W30 ESP will be closer to M1 0W40. Except 0W, 5W30 ESP has HTHS of 3.58 and 0W40 FS has HTHS 3.6.
Unless it is ungodly cold 5W30 will do fine.

When I saw Kendall GT-1 at Firestone it took me back to the days of Peter Gregg and Brumos Porsche so of course I had to special order some. It has served me well. However it is no longer green nor made in Bradford PA which were part of the draw. So, given the difficulty in finding it and given that it is not the formulation it once was and given that there are easier to obtain equal or better spec oils out there, I don't think it is worth the trouble. I don't criticize it in any way performance wise; it is just that to me it is not worth the bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back