Firestone TF2876 C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firestone TF2876 from a 2008 Altima 2.5L. Kendall GT-1, about 5.5k miles. Nothing special about the filter. The can was thin and everything looked like, well, an oil filter. There was, however, a very obvious tear at the endcaps 3 pleats in from the seam.

Question is, who makes these? Is this a puro or wix or...?

IMAG2312_zpskf4ezfwe.jpg

IMAG2311_zpsivnzec8c.jpg

IMAG2313_zpssve2ay3h.jpg

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
That's a bad one, Champ Labs/(Fram) made jobber filter. Same filter line as the Fram Core used at WM.

Thanks for pics.

I thought Fram doesn't use louvers.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
That's a bad one, Champ Labs/(Fram) made jobber filter. Same filter line as the Fram Core used at WM.

Thanks for pics.

I thought Fram doesn't use louvers.
21.gif

Well, traditional Fram labeled filters, fiber endcap types (EG, TG) and the Ultra don't.... yet.
grin.gif

However, now that Champ labs falls under the Fram/(Rank) umbrella, the Champ Labs made but named 'Fram Core' WM TLE filters use louvers (those that aren't ecores). Even the high end M1 filter made by Champ but under now Fram uses louvers. All that said, it's a non issue either way.

The tear seemed to happen right at the edge where it met the glue, but the potting glue all seemed firmly in place. The media was very brittle and the tear was easy to replicate by pushing sideways on other pleats.

Actually, this looks like the CQ Red but with a Fram relief valve. I did a virgin cut of a CQ Red and it had wide pleat spacing. Because of that, I decided to avoid them. Couple weak/brittle media with wide pleat spacing and this is the result. Champion Labs did a bad job on this one. Champion Labs eCores do better than this. But user paranoia causes users to choose filters with metal end caps.

Thanks for the informative cut and post.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It has the Fram bypass...guess it's a Tear-a-Fram?

As noted it's a Champ made filter now proudly claimed as under the 'Fram Filtration' banner. Also why when used at WM TLE it's named 'Fram Core', difference FCs have texture coating. 'Champ now Fram' has long used the 'blue button' bypass as shown and discussed HERE , old Super tech line a good example. Fram Cores are really just the old ST line moved to the TLE. For whatever reason the smallest of this line of filters have always been non ecore. The big plus there imo is they don't use combo valves, they have a separate dome end bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back