Castrol High mileage or Valvoline Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer 122300 miles on it and and I currently have Valvoline Full Synthetic with Maxlife, made it leak more so and I just add using maxlife. I saw Castrol GTX High mileage at Advance is have a good sale and I was wondering if that would good to switch to that? Or stick to Maxlife. Vehicle recommend 5w30 or 10w30 above 0 degrees. Should I switch to 10w30 or stick to 5w30. Would a 10w30 synthetic blend be like conventional 5w30?

Use the regular maxlife and switch to 10w30 if its using a fair amount to see if that helps.

Originally Posted By: NH73
I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer 122300 miles on it and and I currently have Valvoline Full Synthetic with Maxlife, made it leak more so and I just add using maxlife. I saw Castrol GTX High mileage at Advance is have a good sale and I was wondering if that would good to switch to that? Or stick to Maxlife. Vehicle recommend 5w30 or 10w30 above 0 degrees. Should I switch to 10w30 or stick to 5w30. Would a 10w30 synthetic blend be like conventional 5w30?
Where is it leaking, main seals, valve covers, oil pan................I fixed my 2005 L3800 buick engine from using oil,,after 3 years of over looking the darn PCV valve, 4 dollar fix,,,,go figure, no more nuance oil usage.

Oil cooler lines are leaking. I have seen on the blazer forum that some people just replaced there rubber hose and crimps with another hose and hose clamps. I don't know if the timing chain cover is leaking or not. If it is, too expensive of a job. High Mileage oil seemed to help. I have been losing a half a quart a month.

MaxLife because there is a $10 rebate available plus it's on rollback at Walmart for $15.88. I used a Kmart $3 off coupon that Walmart accepted, so my total cost after rebate and coupon is about $3 and some change. I have used the Castrol GTX HM, and my 3.1 engine does sound quieter on it. When Dollar General has another BOGO sale on the Castrol GTX HM, I am going to stock up.

I like the Pennzoil High Mileage that always worked well for me to help stop leaks in engines and stop oil burning.. I wish Pennzoil would find a way to fix their leaky jugs and i would still be using it.. My second choice is max life their jugs have a safety seal under the cap for double the protection.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
MaxLife because there is a $10 rebate available plus it's on rollback at Walmart for $15.88. I used a Kmart $3 off coupon that Walmart accepted, so my total cost after rebate and coupon is about $3 and some change. I have used the Castrol GTX HM, and my 3.1 engine does sound quieter on it. When Dollar General has another BOGO sale on the Castrol GTX HM, I am going to stock up.

Where is the $10 rebate?

I really feel, only from my experience, that all the high mileage oils perform the same when it comes to oil leaks. I also noticed it may take a few oil changes to see the full benefit -if any - from the oil in regards to stopping or slowing leaks. With that being said, I personally like Mobil Super HM (syn blend), Mobil 1 HM (full syn) and the Valvoline Maxlife products.

Ok, thanks everyone for there advice. I decided to stay with the Valvoline Maxlife. Got at Walmart and the deal was better than the Advance Auto's Castrol deal. It wasn't what I thought. They put a different twist to it unlike there other deal. The price didn't included the oil filter. Just filled out the rebate form. I also decided to stay with the 5w30. I really couldn't hardly see an advantage of going with 10w30 as they both are the same viscosity at operating temperature. As for the oil filter, I couldn't decide so I went with the ACDelco. I didn't think it was worthwhile paying for the Fram Tough Guard. I think the Fram Extra Guard is the one that wasn't good. The Supertech filter has almost the same numbers as Fram, so I bet there Fram filters. What your thought on filters, god buy or not?

There is nothing wrong with the orange Fram for an appropriate length OCI, it actually offers a high efficiency and syn blend media not usually found at that filter level. But yes the Tough Guard is better.

The new SuperTechs are Wix made jobber type filters. Well made but mostly around 80% efficiency being all paper cellulose media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back