Sedan or SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Once you drive an SUV there is no going back to sedans, I prefer to drive my Highlander compared to Lexus

I prefer to drive my 530i compared to my wife's Q5.

My old 528e had a functioning LSD. I drove to work in 6-8 of heavy snow. I slithered some, but I made it. There is a technique to driving in snow. That said, I carry a real D handle flat shovel come winter. MDW,all 5'3" of her, liked the view from a Grand Wagoneer in her soccer mom yrs. Now she is driven around in air conditioned, easy to step into, Camry.

Sedans are out for me except as sports cars.

I much prefer wagons or SUV. We own a 2005 legacy turbo wagon with manual and love it. However deep snow the 5" clearance is an issue. Our MDX simply can get through deep stuff and clear stuff a lot easier with wonderful balance of cargo, comfort and capability to get to ski slope.

We have 3 kids so reality is minivan or SUV is our future till one leaves the house....

I would by an RX in a heartbeat vs a ES.
Once you drive an SUV there is no going back to sedans, I prefer to drive my Highlander compared to Lexus (the $3K extra cost and 3MPG less is well worth an RX compared to an ES)

I drove my friend 2012-2013 Explorer few times and I hate it, I also hate driving my BIL Honda Odyssey. I hate sitting too high on any vehicle, I don't feel safe taking a corner at speed my E430 can easily do.

Actually, I like sitting low close to the ground and Honda S2000 is a much better driving car than E430 or Explorer.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would by an RX in a heartbeat vs a ES.
Once you drive an SUV there is no going back to sedans, I prefer to drive my Highlander compared to Lexus (the $3K extra cost and 3MPG less is well worth an RX compared to an ES)

I drove my friend 2012-2013 Explorer few times and I hate it, I also hate driving my BIL Honda Odyssey. I hate sitting too high on any vehicle, I don't feel safe taking a corner at speed my E430 can easily do.

Actually, I like sitting low close to the ground and Honda S2000 is a much better driving car than E430 or Explorer.

The ride height means nothing to me, what I don't like about SUVs is their terrible utilization of interior space. When I approach an SUV to get in, from the outside they look huge, but when I get in, they all seem to have cramped interiors...the only ones I've been in that have a decent amount of interior space are the Suburbans and Excursions, and then you're stuck with something that gets 10 MPG...no thanks, I'll take a minivan with more interior space and over double the MPGs...

Originally Posted By: grampi
....what I don't like about SUVs is their terrible utilization of interior space. When I approach an SUV to get in, from the outside they look huge, but when I get in, they all seem to have cramped interiors...the only ones I've been in that have a decent amount of interior space are the Suburbans and Excursions, and then you're stuck with something that gets 10 MPG...no thanks, I'll take a minivan with more interior space and over double the MPGs...

Yep...that's what I've noticed as well. When stuck behind them in traffic, you can see their size is magnified externally: Wide fender flares, mouldings, big tires, etc. But if you stripped that off to the actual vertical walls, there's not much there, there. It's all show.

The sled has more rear cargo room than most SUV's. It also doesn't "porpoise" on freeways or knock my head around constantly.

SEDANS for Sixty years. Forgot to mention the POS VW Rabbit I purchased because CU thought it was such a good vehicle. CU apparently didn't drive the Rabbit down a snow rutted road. I did, from Dinosaur,CO to Craig,Colorado.*&@#!%&**POS

The correct answer is minivan. Much more interior room, easy to get in-out of, better handling and MPGs than a truck/SUV.

I have a Focus wagon. My 76 year old dad has a rough time getting in and out. His minivan is much better. He has a bit of trouble getting into my truck as well, but out is very easy, gravity always works.

My wife's mobility scooter won't fit in the wagon, so a minivan is required.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Aren't CUV's suppose to be the best of both worlds between a car and a SUV?
Is that the answer?

but to what question?

Pretty sure no CUV can handle as well as say a Miata. But a Miata is a bit hard-pressed in snow conditions (so would be the typical CUV on all seasons, but I digress). It also doesn't seat 4; then again, a CUV won't seat 6+ either.

I still toy with the idea of a CUV for the next vehicle, but I likely won't. Wrong sorts of compromises.

1* Sedans, with the exception of a few high end makes, lack the swagger of an SUV, for those of us who wish our vehicles to make a statement about ourselves – and doesn’t that include everyone who buys a new car?

Laughable.

Is that the answer?
Not really. They are more like the tools in a Swiss Army knife. It can do many things but none as good as a specific tool. My Grand Wagoneers did many things well. Its soft spots were MPG and reliability. My solution was a 3rd vehicle for utility purposes.
grin2.gif

SUVs have never made much sense to me. You can see a lot, but I'd rather be able to maneuver with confidence, especially in a sudden critical situations like when someone left that wheel and tire combo in middle of a busy Wisconsin freeway when traffic is moving at 80 mph. The space is sort of a myth; wagons do a better job and are actually usable. You can tow, but 99% of people don't and you pay a huge fuel penalty just to "be cool". You can rent a lot of trucks with the money you spend in depreciation if you really need to. And snow tires make nearly any car just as useful in the snow, especially since nearly everything has AWD available.

But I've been driving RWD BMWs for 20 years, exceeding 40k miles per year. I got stuck once in about 2000, when I was drifting in 10" of snow and hit one of my own moguls, sending me off the road. (And I was able to drive out after the K5 Blazer gave up on pulling me.) Aside from that error in judgement, there hasn't really been a winter day in MN that I really thought I needed an SUV. Certainly not on the spring, summer, or fall days.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Neither.

Wagons and hatchbacks are much better. Same size as a sedan, with almost as much room as an SUV

The Opel Insignia wagon is by all accounts set to come to the US as the Buick Sport Wagon: http://buickforums.com/forums/threads/43333-The-2018-Buick-Regal-Tour-X-Wagon-Discussion As I said there, about the only time I'd need that kind of space is if Linda, her cat, and my two feline thugs (all in carriers) were bugging out for a hurricane. But if I did need it, a wagon sounds like a good bet.

Originally Posted By: supton
Is that the answer?

but to what question?

Pretty sure no CUV can handle as well as say a Miata. But a Miata is a bit hard-pressed in snow conditions (so would be the typical CUV on all seasons, but I digress). It also doesn't seat 4; then again, a CUV won't seat 6+ either.

I still toy with the idea of a CUV for the next vehicle, but I likely won't. Wrong sorts of compromises.

CUV...Jack of all, Master of none.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Neither.

Wagons and hatchbacks are much better. Same size as a sedan, with almost as much room as an SUV

The Opel Insignia wagon is by all accounts set to come to the US as the Buick Sport Wagon: http://buickforums.com/forums/threads/43333-The-2018-Buick-Regal-Tour-X-Wagon-Discussion As I said there, about the only time I'd need that kind of space is if Linda, her cat, and my two feline thugs (all in carriers) were bugging out for a hurricane. But if I did need it, a wagon sounds like a good bet.

Not bad.

I wish Ford offered the Fusion wagon here like they do in Europe (Mondeo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back