Any thoughts on the Hersheys attempted buyout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay

I don't remember what OREO's tasted like a decade ago but the current iteration still tastes better than anything else trying to duplicate it. It's just a sad fact that manufacturing is much much cheaper elsewhere and it isn't a trend anymore, just a way of life.

You don't but many are old enough to, I am certain that Mondelez has lost significant sales with their lowering the Oreo product quality.

Sure you can manufacture your food product in Mexico, but considering the outrageous degree of corruption in such countries you just know eventually a lot of people are going to get sick.
Mexico has poor or nonexistent laws regarding the manufacturing of food products and even with some laws they don't enforce them. I wouldn't eat anything produced in Mexico.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I thought Hershey chocolate was made outside of the USA since a few years ago. They are still made in USA? That is awesome. I buy the big jumbo Hershey bars, 7 oz I think. I refrigerate them, better when chilled!!

I remembered something about that.... FOUND IT:

Quote:
The latest arrival is Hershey, which is building a 1,500-employee factory in the northern Mexican city of Monterrey to replace plants it closed in the USA and Canada. It's following the lead of companies ranging from Brach's Confections, famous for its caramels, to Ferrara Pan Candy, the maker of Red Hots and Jawbusters.

Confectioners say they're trying to survive in a difficult business climate, but U.S. unions bemoan the loss of candymaking jobs. "All these companies want to make it cheap overseas somewhere, then bring it back and sell it to our people who don't have any jobs to buy it," said Dennis Bomberger, business manager of Chocolate Workers Local 464 in Hershey, Pa.

The move to Mexico began several years ago with makers of hard candy, said Bernard Pacyniak, editor of Candy Industry magazine. Many of them cited high U.S. sugar prices, which have been propped up for decades by government subsidies. "It's multinationals just trying to contain their costs," Pacyniak said.

Quote:
Moving many of those product lines to Monterrey could save the company about $190 million a year by 2010, Hershey says. It has a plant in Guadalajara that makes candy for the Mexican market. Company spokesman Kirk Saville would not say what the company plans to make in Monterrey and added that the plant would account for only 10% of the chocolate sold in the USA.

Last edited:
Hershey chocolate is not good quality at all.

Breyer's tastes like frozen slime milk sugar.

An oreo cookie is not appealing to me in any form.

There are just too many local companies who make quality product, why buy the walmart style products.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

I don't remember what OREO's tasted like a decade ago but the current iteration still tastes better than anything else trying to duplicate it. It's just a sad fact that manufacturing is much much cheaper elsewhere and it isn't a trend anymore, just a way of life.

You don't but many are old enough to, I am certain that Mondelez has lost significant sales with their lowering the Oreo product quality.

Sure you can manufacture your food product in Mexico, but considering the outrageous degree of corruption in such countries you just know eventually a lot of people are going to get sick.
Mexico has poor or nonexistent laws regarding the manufacturing of food products and even with some laws they don't enforce them. I wouldn't eat anything produced in Mexico.

That's calling the kettle black in all honesty. Most recently in the US...
Cookie dough salmonella
Flint corruption/water issues
Chipotle e-coli
Salmonella poona from cucumbers
Countrywide infrastructure deterioration after billions of works funds missing.
Etc.

That's calling the kettle black in all honesty. Most recently in the US...
Cookie dough salmonella
Flint corruption/water issues
Chipotle e-coli
Salmonella poona from cucumbers
Countrywide infrastructure deterioration after billions of works funds missing.
Etc.

Just imagine what is coming in from Mexico withOUT those laws, and agencies that actually do make some effort to make checks...I can bet plenty of people are getting sick from
dangerous food products from Mexico and don't realize it. Have you checked the labeling on packaged food products lately nowhere can I find that such a product is made in Mexico...strange. What are those companies afraid of by identifying the country of origin?
crazy.gif
crackmeup2.gif
37.gif

Another Mexican food product company is Bimbo Bread.

They have bought up famous brands like Entenmann's Bakery products.

Last edited:
Every store in my area has stacks and stacks of Oreos. Some in more than the regular flavor. They wouldn't be stocking them in those quantities unless they are being bought. So much for the "inferior" taste of yesteryear theory......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Every store in my area has stacks and stacks of Oreos. Some in more than the regular flavor. They wouldn't be stocking them in those quantities unless they are being bought. So much for the "inferior" taste of yesteryear theory......

I see that however, what is interesting is that the store shelves are stocked FULL
(however you see I work in supermarkets and do some inventory, so I get to see store shelves day in and day out...) What I have noticed is that while Mondelez Nabisco Oreo products get lots of shelf space by forcing the store chain to carry all varieties I have seen VERY few purchases over a lot of days as many as a week at a time!!!! Yes, I get to see the stock boys replacing product all the time but I noticed that the Oreo products GENERALLY don't seem to be moving that well. At least at a few major store chains in our area with heavy foot traffic as well. SOMETHING SMELLS. Perhaps
the rancid Oreos that get removed from the shelves after sitting for a couple of months untouched?
You know of course that product that is close to expiring is either trashed or donated to food banks depending on the vendor?

People are noticing the decreasing quality of such iconic products and are NO LONGER BUYING THEM IN GREAT QUANTITIES...perhaps the only thing I was told by a few stock boys was that if it is buy one get one they move a bit more, but ONLY when they are heavily discounted. I agree, why buy something only now passable if it isn't really cheap?

Oh, and nobody in the business has explained, why Mondelez doesn't indicate the country of origin for Oreo products that come from Mexico?

I know that Pillsbury will for example tell you where the refrigerated cookie dough comes from
either the US or Canada for example....it is very easily and clearly seen on the label in decent print...

Why no country of origin on Oreo? Hiding something? I think so. They are worried that consumers will put them back on the shelves if they do it.

I don't believe your experience in your little part of the planet has any relevance to whats happening elsewhere.

You seem to be making gross generalizations based on your knowledge that they are manufactured outside of this country and taste different (in your opinion) and people all over the country are noticing.

Way too many assumptions for me to buy your anecdotal evidence. Please repost when you have evidence other than talking to a few stock boys.

Last edited:
Stuff from Mexico is not all bad. Much of the produce here in Central Texas is grown in Mexico.

I found it to be fresher and overall better tasting then when I lived up in NY and it was all trucked in.

Look at the packaging of what you buy before you buy it. Most people do not.

I was appalled that our local HEB had some frozen shrimp from a farm in China right next to frozen Gulf shrimp.

Cookies in general are not a staple in my home. They are a treat and if I want one, there are a few local places that bake homemade cookies and deliver them to my home or office, still warm.

There is a cupcake place with a similar offering. All made with local product, much better.

GiveMeAVowel employs selective country bashing...
Slamming Mexican companies for being corrupt and exporting dubious products yet defends Volkswagen to the hilt.
crackmeup2.gif

Slamming Mexican companies for being corrupt and exporting dubious products yet defends Volkswagen to the hilt.
crackmeup2.gif

Not only that-but there are a number of Car companies that manufacture certain models in Mexico, it would seem that if you want a target-those are bigger ones than I assume cookies makers. It's a bigger operation to make a vehicle than cookies. I also assume the car manufacturing jobs would be higher pay than the cookies makers. With no disrespect intended for the cookie makers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
It appears as if the reason Oreo's don't taste the same is because the recipe was changed:

" The company changed the recipe in the past couple of years after a 2003 lawsuit tried to stop Nabisco from selling Oreos to children in California because they contained a high level of trans fat."

http://trixieshome.blogspot.com/2006/02/do-your-oreos-taste-different.html

I guess there is no way to find out if the change affected sales, other than "givemeavowels" wild speculation(s). I also agree with another poster-they are still great cookies!

Last edited:

crackmeup2.gif

Nonsense.

I have repeatedly stated that VW must pay the price for cheating our emissions laws, in a serious way, so that it never happens again. A lesson must be learned.

HOWEVER, Nothing in their actions regarding this matter has actually killed anyone at all. Not one single person has been killed, or received even minor physical injuries by their emissions not being in spec. You can't say that about Toyota, Honda, Ford, GM, Chrysler, or others in their serious failings, those issues resulted in the direct deaths, or serious injuries of those motorists.

The bottom line is that what you put in your body if tinged with dangerous bacterial can
kill you easily, or have serious long term health consequences. Mexico is known for
poor or nonexistent food regulations...

THE BIG QUESTION IS WHY MONDELEZ WILL NOT CLEARLY LABEL THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN ON OREO PACKAGES..

Obviously they are afraid consumers will reject those items.

As far as the change in formula, I do know about this and I could DEFINITELY notice the difference when they rolled out the reduced transfat formula, which decreased the quality of the product.

That doesn't explain the past couple of years or so where the quality has plummeted and it is VERY noticeable with regard to taste of the cookie (tasteless no chocolate flavor lack of crispiness, and the creme filling, now wet, slimy, and only tasting of sugar water. My guess is those are
the hecho en mexico Oreos. They are HORRID!

Last edited:

crackmeup2.gif

Nonsense.

I have repeatedly stated that VW must pay the price for cheating our emissions laws, in a serious way, so that it never happens again. A lesson must be learned.

OTOH, nothing VW has done has actually killed anyone at all. Not one single person has been killed or seriously injured by their emissions not being in spec. You can't say that about Toyota, Honda, Ford, GM or others in their serious failings, that issues resulted in the direct deaths of those motorists.

The bottom line is that what you put in your body if tinged with dangerous bacterial can
kill you easily, or have serious long term health consequences. Mexico is known for

THE BIG QUESTION IS WHY MONDELEZ WILL NOT CLEARLY LABEL THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN ON OREO PACKAGES..

As far as the change in formula, I do know about this and I could DEFINITELY notice the difference when they rolled out the reduced transfat formula, which decreased the quality of the product.

That doesn't explain the past couple of years or so where the quality has plummeted and it is VERY noticeable with regard to taste of the cookie (tasteless no chocolate flavor lack of crispiness, and the creme filling, now wet, slimy, and only tasting of sugar water. My guess is those are

What part of PEOPLE DON'T CARE" do you NOT UNDERSTAND?

crackmeup2.gif

Nonsense.

HOWEVER, Nothing in their actions regarding this matter has actually killed anyone at all. Not one single person has been killed, or received even minor physical injuries by their emissions not being in spec. You can't say that about Toyota, Honda, Ford, GM or others in their serious failings, that issues resulted in the direct deaths of those motorists.

Peer reviewed research suggests otherwise.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...ature-us-deaths

Conclusion: Nearly 60 people will die prematurely from the excess air pollution caused by Volkswagen cheating emissions tests in the US, according to a new study.

Originally Posted By: CKN

What part of PEOPLE DON'T CARE" do you NOT UNDERSTAND?

Says YOU.
whistle.gif
I would figure you might have shares of Mondelez?
lol.gif
37.gif

But the consumers DO care...I just related to you how in my posts earlier, I work and see inventory movement and foot traffic at several major supermarket chains in a fairly large busy area, all have the same strange lack of turnover of the Oreo products on the shelves. And I get to see and hear about this first hand.

Mondelez Nabisco Oreo cookies now taste horrible, and people are buying a LOT less of them
because of it. I know how the cookies are supposed to taste because I have been eating them for decades now.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Conclusion: Nearly 60 people will die prematurely from the excess air pollution caused by Volkswagen cheating emissions tests in the US, according to a new study.

"will die"

But those people haven't died or been physically injured at all. Show me the medical proof.
Lets see the medical records. That's right that story is hogwash with no concrete evidence to back it up. They are making predictions they can't prove in the least. All nonsense.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

"will die"

But those people haven't died or been physically injured at all. Show me the medical proof.
Lets see the medical records. That's right that story is hogwash with no concrete evidence to back it up. They are making predictions they can't prove in the least. All nonsense.

yep-kind of like your prediction of people running away from Oreos in droves.....You have no clue if your "perceived perception" is accurate every where else. And to say this as fact is furthering a "hidden agenda" that you seem to have. If you don't like something don't buy it. But when there are so many other companies that manufacture major ticket items in Mexico, and you are not even acknowledge them-it shows your hidden agenda.

We wasted enough time on your anti-Mexico Oreo fetish. It's time to move on.

Last edited:
I agree with vowel,most all of the foods we enjoyed when we were kids were all made with eggs,milk,cream,raw unprocessed sugar,etc. Now it's all changed to high fructose corn syrup and a brew of chemicals you can't even pronounce,and tastes nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back