Is the driving experience getting worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I touched upon this in a couple of other threads, one involving the poor interstate driving habits many folks exhibit and the other about my opinion of what I regard as the unacceptable risks involved in riding a street bike.
In developed areas, every green light seems to bring a drag race to the next red. Nobody seems to brake until pretty late in the approach to the red either. Those of us who coast to red lights and often avoid braking entirely are given dirty looks and sometimes honked at.
Put these same drivers on an interstate and they can't figure out that they should yield to faster traffic. In a developed area, there is no time to be made by trying to drive fast. You only waste fuel, tires and brakes. On a rural interstate, you can make real time, but only if those afraid to run 80 mph or so will get out of the left lane. They won't.
Beyond that, how many folks do you see every day in traffic with their eyes glued to a phone?
How often do you see folks who apparently can't leave the house without stopping for a soda or a beer to suck down and without stuffing some thousand calorie fast food snack in their pie-holes, all while pretending to drive competently?
How many people seem to think nothing of turning out in front of you without thinking that you have the right of way?
How many people will tailgate you ruthlessly and without regard to the traffic situation ahead?
How many times have you had to avoid some hapless fool who makes some sort of a move without even looking?
How much more traffic volume do you see today than what you saw twenty years ago?
While I've learned to avoid getting angry or otherwise upset at the stupid driving I see every day, I do have to laugh at what some people regard as competent operation.
Most of these people can't even drive a stick or back up with a trailer, both of which are easily learned and useful skills.
Are drivers really getting worse, or is it just that I'm getting older and less tolerant of the foolishness of others?

This is no joke ... I usually see some idiotic move by a driver at least every 3 minutes while I'm on the road. I can't even drive 1 mile from my house without seeing inept driver's behind the wheel. And it seems to be getting worse with time.

I could put up with everything you mention if we could just get people off their cell phones.
The idea that people can text and drive is so unbelievable stupid it defies reason.

Hopefully as more and more vehicles have Bluetooth support people will be using voice commands and not typing on the phone. There have always been distracted drivers however. I am sure our parents were distracted when we as children acted like PIA creepy children.

Why just yesterday, I braked for yellow light that turned red as I stopped. The SUV behind me swerved around me, through the red light and on down the road he went. The holiday weekend will bring out many folks not used to driving on highways who think they can do 60mph in the left lane and are totally oblivious to everyone going around them and giving them dirty looks.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
This is no joke ... I usually see some idiotic move by a driver at least every 3 minutes while I'm on the road. I can't even drive 1 mile from my house without seeing inept driver's behind the wheel. And it seems to be getting worse with time.

I will say that the general level of driving acumen is lower in the States, as compared to say Europe. It is too easy to get a License here.

Do you still have your 'Busa? Ever talk to Cookie, Twisted, or Joe? I hope things are well with you.

I usually give the benefit of the doubt to teenagers and elderly, Cant stand the rest of the people who drive like jerks. I don't know if it's just me but ive noticed that on fridays people in general drive like [censored].

I have only been driving since 2004, but I do feel that there are more aggressive/anti-social/reckless and mostly distracted drivers out there than there used to be. I did learn to drive in a place that was less populated than the cities I have lived in since about 2006/7, but I don't think it's just big city vs. town. Even in the cities people have gotten worse. There is usually little cooperative driving. And I don't know what's up with the quarter panel riding/speed matching thing either, but that gets old too...It's like some people can't maintain their own speed and must use another car as some kind of reference. I have even slammed on the brakes before to try to break a quarter panel rider, long after putting my signal on, and then they freaking slam on the brakes too...WTH? Just go away, I want to make a left [censored].

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
I could put up with everything you mention if we could just get people off their cell phones.
The idea that people can text and drive is so unbelievable stupid it defies reason.

01.gif

Yes it is getting worse. While cell phones make driving more risky I find the most stressful part of driving is that more drivers are not using turn signals while changing lanes. I see more people purposefully darting between lanes as if to send a message that they are dangerous and for other drivers to keep far behind them.
The South Florida change in culture has created this macho driving style. I actually heard a woman disk jockey on one of the popular station say " I do not use turn signals because it is a sign of weakness".

An excellent example of a really uniformed attitude.
Driving on the street is a cooperative endeavor, not a competitive one.
Even if you have some track time, you know that you're expected to yield the line to faster cars and if you consistently block them you'll get black flagged.
One of these days, some old Florida cracker driving an elderly full-sized pickup or van will decide not to yield to one of this lady's unsignaled lane changes and will simply run into her. A bad day for her might then ensue.
Driving stupid does have its penalties.

The drivers test has gotten easier here in New York, both the written and the road test. I know, I've got 2 newer drivers in my house. You used to have to actually parallel park, do a 3 point turn, stop and start on a hill along with other things. The written test makes you figure out how many drinks you can have safely (even though most start driving still too young to buy booze), but not how to merge, pull over for emergency vehicles, give horses (hey I'm in upstate), pedestrians, dogs, people changing tires and farm vehicles extra room and stay out of funeral processions. Folks here can't figure out turn signals or headlights or driving in snow. I'm making sure my kids know this stuff.

I'd pay extra for a harder test with special lanes for those who can pass it. I'm no great driver, but I know my limits and how to not be a pain in everyone else's neck.

I have an intricate route home with nearly a dozen turns and side streets. In a city it would be called a "rat race" with reference to surface streets.

Sadly, a lot of old people have figured out these same routes, and plod along, making multiple turns in front of me just as I would.

Realistically, this indicates that "my route" should have its own route number, as it's clearly the best way from A to B. It should even have its stop signs removed to give it the right of way.
lol.gif

But, yeah, people who are too self involved to notice that they're impeding those behind, on a multi lane highway etc, need to be flogged.

Same with those who can't tell a green traffic light is getting "ripe" and apply a little more effort to get through before a yellow/red. I swear sometimes they slow down to read the "Red Bull 2/$5" signs at the corner gas station!

I think we should change the laws. If you're caught texting and driving you either lose you license for 5 years or you are forced to drive a manual transmission car for the next 2-3 years. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Yes it is getting worse. While cell phones make driving more risky I find the most stressful part of driving is that more drivers are not using turn signals while changing lanes. I see more people purposefully darting between lanes as if to send a message that they are dangerous and for other drivers to keep far behind them.
The South Florida change in culture has created this macho driving style. I actually heard a woman disk jockey on one of the popular station say " I do not use turn signals because it is a sign of weakness".

Wow this (gangsta) immature woman actually works at a radio station ? She would be really weak when a senior citizen slams into her car. Going out on a radio admitting to breaking traffic laws is real smart.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I touched upon this in a couple of other threads, one involving the poor interstate driving habits many folks exhibit and the other about my opinion of what I regard as the unacceptable risks involved in riding a street bike.
In developed areas, every green light seems to bring a drag race to the next red. Nobody seems to brake until pretty late in the approach to the red either. Those of us who coast to red lights and often avoid braking entirely are given dirty looks and sometimes honked at.
Put these same drivers on an interstate and they can't figure out that they should yield to faster traffic. In a developed area, there is no time to be made by trying to drive fast. You only waste fuel, tires and brakes. On a rural interstate, you can make real time, but only if those afraid to run 80 mph or so will get out of the left lane. They won't.
Beyond that, how many folks do you see every day in traffic with their eyes glued to a phone?
How often do you see folks who apparently can't leave the house without stopping for a soda or a beer to suck down and without stuffing some thousand calorie fast food snack in their pie-holes, all while pretending to drive competently?
How many people seem to think nothing of turning out in front of you without thinking that you have the right of way?
How many people will tailgate you ruthlessly and without regard to the traffic situation ahead?
How many times have you had to avoid some hapless fool who makes some sort of a move without even looking?
How much more traffic volume do you see today than what you saw twenty years ago?
While I've learned to avoid getting angry or otherwise upset at the stupid driving I see every day, I do have to laugh at what some people regard as competent operation.
Most of these people can't even drive a stick or back up with a trailer, both of which are easily learned and useful skills.
Are drivers really getting worse, or is it just that I'm getting older and less tolerant of the foolishness of others?

No it's getting worse. Sounds like things around here. I think a lot of people have the mentality that they are getting back at authority by violating traffic laws. One thing I notice more and more of these days is people coming out driveways that are meant to be one way in, they are angled as right only going in but idiots can't seem to figure that out. Today I got cut off in a parking lot for heaven sake.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back