Vehicles with American contends are shrinking !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
For the second time in as many years, the Toyota Camry once again tops Cars.com's American-Made Index, which tracks cars that are assembled in the US, with a high percentage of US-sourced parts and a high number of US sales. In fact, five of the eight cars on the list this year aren't what you may consider "American" at a glance.

Underneath the Toyota Camry, the list goes as follows: Honda Accord, Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, HondaPilot, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia (pre-2017), Buick Enclave. These eight cars come from just five states: Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Alabama. That's one highly saturated chunk of the country.

Quote:
While the number of cars eligible for the American-Made Index is up this year, the trend is still largely a downward one. Nearly 30 cars were eligible back in 2010, and the number's been dropping ever since.

If you're wondering where the trucks are, you're in for some disappointment -- the F-150, 2014's index-topper, fell below the group's 75-percent threshold for domestic parts content. Further twisting the knife into Detroit Big Three flesh is the fact that the Toyota Camry's assembly by itself supports more workers than all three GM vehicles on the list combined.

Note: To be on the cars.com list a vehicle must have at least 75% US parts.

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/born-i...5e9f?yptr=yahoo

Which one is more American, Chevy Spark imported from South Korea or Toyota Camry ?

Last edited:
Our 2012 Honda Civic had more American parts content than our 2014 Silverado.

My FIL and I argued over this. He claimed it was more advantageous to keep the money in America rather than sending it overseas as far as the parent company is concerned, which is ironic given he retired from a highly unionized workforce which he actively participated in. I'm of the belief that anything we can do to put Americans back to work helps the economy. If you put money in the middle class' pockets, they spend it. Plain and simple.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Which one is more American, Chevy Spark imported from South Korea or Toyota Camry ?

When I toured TMMK, I believe they said the Camry was manufactured with 80% domestic parts.. many of which were locally sourced.

If needed a new truck, it would be either a Tacoma or Tundra, which are made in Texas.

I believe the 4Runner is the only Japanese made Toyota sold in the US market, which I have no issues with.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
which is ironic given he retired from a highly unionized workforce which he actively participated in.

They are only against it if it doesn't put money in the union's pocket.

Somehow an outsourced (UAW) "American" car is still better than a 1st world manufactured foreign car..

Which is exactly the point I was trying to make in my answer in the Chevy Cruze thread.
thumbsup2.gif

My "foreign" Sonata was made in Alabama, and the other vehicle I was considering, the Chevy HHR, was Hencho en Mexico. Why do I have to buy from a foreign company in order to get an American-made car?

According to American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) my Grand Caravan in on par with the top list and shows 75% US/Canadian content and it's assembled in Canada for 2015 model year.
There were 9 models with equal (75% US/Canadian content) on the list from Toyota, Dodge, Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, GMC and Honda but of course, let the biased rags list the Japanese as the winners and bash the US makers.
For 2016 there are 5 models all equal at 80% content. There is Chevy, Buick, GMC and Honda. The best Toyota has 75%.

Again, don't let the facts get in the way of bashing American brands.

Americal Automobile Labeling Act

Last edited:
Quote:
For the second time in as many years, the Toyota Camry once again tops Cars.com's American-Made Index, which tracks cars that are assembled in the US, with a high percentage of US-sourced parts and a high number of US sales. In fact, five of the eight cars on the list this year aren't what you may consider "American" at a glance.

Underneath the Toyota Camry, the list goes as follows: Honda Accord, Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, HondaPilot, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia (pre-2017), Buick Enclave. These eight cars come from just five states: Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Alabama. That's one highly saturated chunk of the country.

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/born-i...5e9f?yptr=yahoo

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
According to American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) my Grand Caravan in on par with the top list and shows 75% US/Canadian content and it's assembled in Canada for 2015 model year.
There were 9 models with equal (75% US/Canadian content) on the list from Toyota, Dodge, Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, GMC and Honda but of course, let the biased rags list the Japanese as the winners and bash the US makers.
For 2016 there are 5 models all equal at 80% content. There is Chevy, Buick, GMC and Honda. The best Toyota has 75%.

Again, don't let the facts get in the way of bashing American brands.

Americal Automobile Labeling Act

When did Canada is a US state ?

Cars.com counts only parts made in US not North America. AALA counts parts made in North America (US/Canadian).

This isn't bashing anyone, this is a fact. As it is now you can't say an American brand is more American than foreign bands, especially when we talk about car.

The one example I had was Chevy Spark imported from South Korea, how much American part is in this car ? Probably close to zero. Toyota is Japanese company but Camry is assemble in US and has much more US parts than Chevy Spark. Also, American labor was used to assemble the Camry and no American labor was used to put Chevy Spark together. Only American labor used is drive the car from boat to shore, to truck to dealer, and some American labor is used to prepare the car before delivery to customer.

Of course, your beloved Toyota is not profiting TEN FOLD (tax breaks, or NO tax at all, positive PR, etc.) with their transplant sales vs. their fully imported models, correct??
crackmeup2.gif
31.gif

Nearly 30 cars were eligible(75% or better) back in 2010 and only 8 now.

The 5 cars with highest American parts in 2015 were Japanese manufacture, while GM and Ford and Chrysler outsourcing car manufacture to outside of country, in some instants import a complete car to sell to unsuspecting consumers, they think that buying a Chevy is buying American car.

What Toyota profits from producing cars in America is their advantage, nothing you and I can do to change that.

What do you like ? Buying a GM car made oversea with no US parts so that GM CEO can pocket some extra profit, or buying a Toyota car made in USA by American workers using majority of parts made in USA too, even when Toyota take the profit to Japan ?

What do you like ? Buying a GM car made oversea with no US parts so that GM CEO can pocket some extra profit, or buying a Toyota car made in USA by American workers using majority of parts made in USA too, even when Toyota take the profit to Japan ?

Look at the list KrisZ posted, it has more GM vehicles listed than any other manufacturer. GM has more US plants and more American employees than any other car manufacturer.

Quote:
General Motors leads the pack at 77,000 employees, then comes Ford at 65,000, then Chrysler at 39,200. Toyota is at 30,000 and Honda has 26,000, while Hyundai-Kia employs 7,800.

KrisZ's list includes parts made in Canada. Cars.com only list cars with at least 75% American parts, Canadian parts are counted as foreign parts.

Of the 8 cars in Cars.com list, 3 GM cars are below 5 Toyota and Honda in term of American parts.

If you think Canada is an United State province or state, then KrisZ's list is correct, but as of now Canada is a sovereign country.

GM employs more Americans than Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Kia combined.

Ford employs more Americans than Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Kia combined.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
GM employs more Americans than Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Kia combined.

Ford employs more Americans than Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Kia combined.

Employment and American made parts are related ? GM and Ford can have more American workers than all those companies combined, but all they do is looking to buy parts made oversea. While Toyota and Honda are looking to buy parts from American companies.

Of all Ford vehicles sold in America none has more than 75% American made part. In which state Ford makes Fiesta ? Last I checked China, South Africa, Brazil, Mexico, and India where Fiesta are made are not part of USA.

Where is Chevy Spark made ? South Korea is in far East, not part of USA.

Where is Chevy Spark made ? South Korea is in far East, not part of USA.

GM and Ford each employ more Americans than all foreign brands combined.

GM is the only manufacturer to assemble a subcompact in the US - the Sonic.

Where is Yaris assembled? Fit? IQ? Accent?

I didn't dispute your claim of GM and Ford each employ more Americans than Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Kia combined, but all they do is looking to buy parts made oversea, that why the top 5 vehicles with the most US made parts are Japanese.

Chevy is an American brand therefore Chevy Spark is an American car made by American workers ?

Toyota is a Japanese manufacture therefore Toyota Camry is a Japanese car made by Japanese workers ?

Why didn't Toyota and Honda parent companies in Japan pressure their subsidiaries to buy more Japanese parts ?

If Japanese companies can buy more parts made in US, but GM and Ford buy more parts made oversea ?

Pars made in US didn't make Toyota and Honda less reliable. Parts made oversea didn't make GM and Ford more reliable.

Don't you see the irony here ? Foreign companies setup plants in US and buy more parts made in US than domestic manufactures. For some reasons domestic manufactures love foreign parts as oppose to foreign companies love US parts.

Now, we must go further and ask; How many of those 'American' plants/companies that your 'god-like' Toyota buy their parts from are FOREIGN (Japan) owned, and profited??

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I believe the 4Runner is the only Japanese made Toyota sold in the US market, which I have no issues with.

There are no Scions and very few, if any Lexus made in USA.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Now, we must go further and ask; How many of those 'American' plants/companies that your 'god-like' Toyota buy their parts from are FOREIGN (Japan) owned, and profited??

That's the big question. In my time working for a supplier, the only parts made there were for the big three. Strange none of the import transplants bought parts there. The reason is that they bring many of their suppliers over here and US violate trade laws to boot giving them no-bid contracts.

KrisZ's list includes parts made in Canada. Cars.com only list cars with at least 75% American parts, Canadian parts are counted as foreign parts.

Of the 8 cars in Cars.com list, 3 GM cars are below 5 Toyota and Honda in term of American parts.

If you think Canada is an United State province or state, then KrisZ's list is correct, but as of now Canada is a sovereign country.

The data I posted shows the actual values and one can judge for themselves how big are the gaps between the automakers. Cars.com only tells us that in order to make the list the content has to be 75%, that's it. Incidentally Camry is at 75% from the data I posted. So are they all at 75% and Cars.com just picked a winner out of a hat? If not, I want to see the actual numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back