Tracin oil leak - need feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck has developed a fairly significant oil leak that seems to be towards the back of the engine. I have ruled out oil pressure sending unit and distributor. Can't seem to find any leaks at valve covers either.

My mechanic friend suggested it is most likely rear main seal (he has not seen the truck "in person"). I tried removing the flywheel cover to have a closer look, but this seems not possible without removing the exhaust that runs across right underneath.

I was however able to sneak in my cell phone to snap some pictures.

There is a bit of oil at the bottom of the cover, but to my untrained eyes it does otherwise look pretty dry in there, especially considering that the leak is big enough to leave a pool on the ground every day.

Should I still assume that the leak could be from the rear main seal, or can I rule it out?

You can see the oil all around the outside perimeter of the cover.

IF the leak was from somewhere else, i.e. oil filter adapter, is it possibly that the oil could get inside the cover and leave that small pool on the bottom?

20160612_150003_zps0cp2uaoa.jpg

20160612_150741_zpsofyxar5u.jpg

20160612_151230_zps1daqdv25.jpg

20160612_150024_zpso8onpwr7.jpg

Here is the same problem someone posted last Week.
The best advise he was given was to add Dye and use an Ultra-violet Flashlight.

I see my Link does not come up as to click on it.
Maybe if you Cut & Paste it will get you there.
I'm sure others here will suggest the Dye / your Mechanic would probably do the same thing.
Good luck.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4118752/Re:_Using_dye_to_trace_oil_lea#Post4118752

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Here is the same problem someone posted last Week.
The best advise he was given was to add Dye and use an Ultra-violet Flashlight.

I see my Link does not come up as to click on it.
Maybe if you Cut & Paste it will get you there.
I'm sure others here will suggest the Dye / your Mechanic would probably do the same thing.
Good luck.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4118752/Re:_Using_dye_to_trace_oil_lea#Post4118752

Larry, that is actually my thread about using dye - it has not worked for me. Based on the favorable results that you and many others have had, I am sure using dye is a good idea.
Not sure if my problem is that the dye I got from the local store is not good, or if it is the UV light that is too weak.

Are you sure you got dye for the oil not for the A/C? The dye kits sold in local stores are usually for A/C systems.
Try a drop of the dye on a piece of cardboard and see if it glows with the light.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Are you sure you got dye for the oil not for the A/C? The dye kits sold in local stores are usually for A/C systems.
Try a drop of the dye on a piece of cardboard and see if it glows with the light.

Trav, the dye failed that test miserably - it is not glowing at all! The packaging says it is for engine oil. Stuff appears to be reddish in color.

sr17,

Possibly the dye by itself won't work (at least not as well).
Take a shot-glass (1 oz.) with oil and put in 2 drops of dye, then mix.
You check this in the dark (not in daylight).
Also, they have 'yellow' tinted eye-glasses to wear (and they do help).

If it still does not glow, it's either the dye or the Ultra-violet flashlight.
I would guess their fine. Follow the Instructions.

Another thing: If you add the dye to your motor oil and it does not glow,
possible your Transmission is leaking.
The dye is 'oil base' so you could also add it to the Transmission.

But: If you add it to the transmission, first completely eliminate the engine as being the source of the leak.

Report back when you find the problem.
Good luck.

P.S. I believe the 'reddish' color of dye is normal.

Last edited:
Are there any ancillaries on the block in that area, and are they sealed? If not I'd guess at the sump gasket, the rear main, the torque conv. or the input shaft seal..

Could you hit the whole area with gunk or similar, then lay under it with a torch and a mirror while it idles?

Ok, so finding and fixing this oil leak has been quite the ordeal.

I spent way too much time underneath the truck, cleaning and looking, with and without UV light - yet never able to figure out where in the world all this oil was coming from.

In the end I threw the towel and took it to a shop - my trusted mechanic has unfortunately been forced in to retirement due to poor health, so I had to find a new place. Based on Google reviews it seemed I had found a good replacement.

Dropped off the truck and a couple of hours later they phoned me to tell me I had not just one leak, but several:

Front main seal - I had cleaned there and did not see any oil reappearing over a couple of days of driving. Although there probably was a tiny leak there since I did have to clean originally.

Valve covers - I had looked at them a lot - there was oil, the area was dirty with black oily dirt - but nothing that looked like a flesh leak to me.

Distributor - same story as the valve covers, but I went along with it since I had pulled the distributor when replacing the oil pressure sending unit and thought I might have damaged the gasket.

I just said "fix it all", I am fed up with leaks. 700 and some odd dollars later I got the truck back and thought everything was dandy.

Next day found the exact same size puddle underneath the truck, appearing to come from the exact same location.

Took it back and now they tell me it is actually the lower intake manifold gasket.

They offered to do that repair at a discounted price, and although I feel that I should not have to pay any part of it, I felt I had no choice but to have them do it.

I am picking up the truck this afternoon and hoping that the issue is finally dealt with!

Leaves one question that I am hoping someone here can answer in a simple enough way for my uneducated mind to grasp:

Why does the intake manifold leak oil? Why not coolant? Should it not just appear as a vacuum leak?

sr17,

I don't know enough to answer your last question.
If you really want to get the Answer, repost a NEW question asking about it.
Titled: Does an Intake Manifold leak oil ? ? ?

I try to do all my own small and medium repairs myself, also all P.M. work.
Recently I had a Timing Chain Cover leaking 'coolant'
I took it to a Mechanic to get it fixed, but then it was leaking 'oil'
This is when I poured the dye into the oil and determined it was leaking at the Timing Cover.
The Mechanic could not dispute it and changed the Oil Pan Gasket.
I only had to pay for the Gasket ($50.00)
Seemed more than fair to me.

I was glad when I found this Mechanic and will give him the benefit of the doubt, just because it good to have one you can trust.

Last edited:
If they will do it for the price of parts only, then go for it.

You've already paid for fruitless labor. Tell them you'll pay for the parts, but they should eat the labor since they didn't get it right.

Or they could refund the labor portion of the previous work...

You are paying for expertise, not guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back