Car stereo choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CorvairGeek
Originally Posted By: 007

Back in 1984 when I bought my first new vehicle a 1984 S10 Blazer I spent $1500 for a complete Kenwood system installed which included a pure pull out tuner unit, separate amp and four speakers. It sounded REAL nice. Boy have I gotten cheap in my old age!

I can relate to that a lot. I removed the Mitsubishi component system (yes, they really made aftermarket radios at one time) that I installed in this car when it was new (my first new car too) for this project. 1984 was the last year of the awful, dual shaft radios in B-bodies, so I bought a loaded, no radio car.

Since I planned to keep my S2000 for more than 15-20 years(if not forever), I figured that $50-100 a year isn't bad for a good stereo. Specially I need good amp and speakers to overcome the car noise of around 80-85 dB on highway.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Here's a thread on another forum with lots of talk about head units that aren't so gaudy.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.ph...its-ugly/page28

Awesome thread, and it started back in 2010! It's a shame, as the electronics and features have come so far, but I really don't like the appearance. Good to see I'm not the only one.

I had trouble reading the 3.5" display on the 'cool' unit I put in our motorhome 2 or 3 years ago. Not a chance I can read it now without glasses!

Originally Posted By: grampi
I'm surprised no one is recommending Alpines...

You should read the thread.
Several recommended them, including me.

I actually really like Sony head units. I find they're very intuitive and easy to use. However, when I bought a head unit for my Bronco, Sony wasn't offering anything with the features I wanted, so I bought a JVC instead and have been happy with it.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Originally Posted By: grampi
I'm surprised no one is recommending Alpines...

You should read the thread.
Several recommended them, including me.

Okay, maybe "no one" wasn't right choice of words...I would've thought most people would've recommended Alpine...most seem to be recommending Pioneer...

Does your Nakamachi do Bluetooth streaming and/or play BP3 CDs or USB stick?

If not, how do you plan on using it for 15-20 years?

Originally Posted By: Vikas

You can burn an audio cd. Blank cds are still available.

Or you can use the aux input to connect your phone or mp3 player.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

What are these for ?

I just insert a CD then change to another CD ... It took me less than 10 second to change CD, no biggies.

Alpines are nice units however they do not come in the layout I prefer which includes the single button presets.

I have decided I am keeping my radio and will pull it out, get it serviced and upgraded if possible. I just do not like the way the newer units looking in the dash even if they do have many more features! My biggest issues with the unit are that it seems to cut out sometimes when raising the volume and the EQ contacts need to be cleaned. That and my wonderful pwr antennae still stuck in the up position.

Don't know if there are any in Orlando, but I'm certain there are service that service still available that can repair and 'upgrade' old radios. Haven't had any personal experience to recommend one. Many are suffering capacitor failures now because of age too,

The biggie now seems to be blue tooth, I was just happy to add an aux in to our '96.

Before:

After

The power Off/On is fully CCW by this era, so I added the power switch (unlabeled) from an older unit to turn the Aux input On and Off. No need to unplug, everything it still fully functional.

I hear you on the power antenna. Our '96 has it, which I didn't want. I could never train the wife to not crank the engine with the radio on, but it did last about 16 years. I disassembled and cut the broken drive cable out. Now it can stay up, less than a foot is all we need in our local, but can be pushed down if the car sits out and to wash it.

Originally Posted By: 007
I have decided I am keeping my radio and will pull it out, get it serviced and upgraded if possible. I just do not like the way the newer units looking in the dash even if they do have many more features! My biggest issues with the unit are that it seems to cut out sometimes when raising the volume and the EQ contacts need to be cleaned. That and my wonderful pwr antennae still stuck in the up position.

Techni-Car down in Tampa will be your best bet to fix your GM radio:

http://techni-car.com/

There are places that say they can add aux in and USB ports to old OEM radios, I have no idea how good or bad they might be. I have seen modified GM and Chrysler radios advertised on ebay, but have no idea on their quality either. I do know Techni-Car does a great job and has been in business for a very long time.

As for the power antenna, it is difficult but not impossible to replace with another power antenna. Sonic Electronix has the best selection of replacements:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/search?keyword=power+antenna

It would be best to get the universal fit because it will include the narrow base mounts you need on a front fender GM installation. If your antenna still works and you just have a bad power antenna output from the radio, a good repair guy can fix that for you as well.

So now that I have decided to keep my 1986 Buick T Type factory concert system with EQ I have arrived at my next dilemma. The car currently calls for 6 speakers 2 on the rear deck (4 x 10) 2 in the doors (5.25) and smaller ones in the dash deck. When I first bought the car the rear was totally dead and I swapped out the 4 x 10's for some Kenwood KRC 6 x 9's. I also bought the same brand and model 5.25"s for the doors although they were never installed. Bottom line is that I do not like the way the rears sound as they seem muffled and too heavy on the bass. I was thinking of either going back to a better quality 4 x 10 speaker brand and would consider buying the companion front 5.25's. Any recommendations as to a particular brand and/or part number?

The 4x10 is/was a terrible speaker design and the 6x9 adapters were not much better. The best thing I could say about that is go back with an aftermarket 4x10, I think Pioneer still makes one and you may find other brands as well. If you want a brighter sound out of the 4x10's try to find one with a hard dome tweeter like titanium or mylar. Also be sure the jute padding between the rear deck and the metal underneath is not obscuring the speaker cone area. You are better off using better sounding speakers up front and just getting rear fill from the rears. If you still have the cardboard/jute baffles that were on the OEM 4x10s you might try adding those back in on the new 4x10s to see if it improves the sound. You could also add a small amplifier to the system and improve the sound. Planet Audio makes a good amp and are very reasonably priced on Amazon.

When the stereo in my mom's '88 MR2 gave out, I went and bought her one as an early Christmas present.

I looked at the brand names, I looked on Crutchfield, etc...

.. and ultimately based on features, reviews, looks, and bang for the buck, I ended up buying her this one:

91ze5mPGC4L._SL1500_.jpg

CD player, MP3, USB, Bluetooth, radio.. detachable face. And it actually has decent power and sounds good.

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-870DBI-Double-DIN-Bluetooth-Detachable/dp/B0072LB27U/

You didn'ts ay if your stereo was double DIN, but based on the year, I'm guessing it is. Give that one a look

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
When the stereo in my mom's '88 MR2 gave out, I went and bought her one as an early Christmas present.

I looked at the brand names, I looked on Crutchfield, etc...

.. and ultimately based on features, reviews, looks, and bang for the buck, I ended up buying her this one:

91ze5mPGC4L._SL1500_.jpg

CD player, MP3, USB, Bluetooth, radio.. detachable face. And it actually has decent power and sounds good.

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-870DBI-Double-DIN-Bluetooth-Detachable/dp/B0072LB27U/

You didn'ts ay if your stereo was double DIN, but based on the year, I'm guessing it is. Give that one a look

Mine is 1.5 DIN. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back