How little ZDDP is safe for a -98 Lada engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ladaman,

Originally Posted By: ladaman

I don't think I'll be willing to pay the extra $$$ for the 0w-40, but the 5w-40 is right up my alley. 15w-40 HDEO in winter, with temps reaching -30c? Ah, you live in florida
laugh.gif

Did you try to search this information in russian language? I understand some russian, so I did the search and I found an official spec from the factory in the following links:

1. https://etlib.ru/qa/kakoe-maslo-zalivat-v-vaz-2109-8476

2. http://www.autolub.info/dopuski/vaz2.shtml

Now, if you stick to the most important part, the following table appears:

967a3d253c50e4b360321ca812a20d51.jpg

This table provides three charts of viscosity for different driving seasons, and if you look for 1998 you got the following specs:

Oil requirements: API SJ, CH
Viscosity preference:

- During normal season from -25 C to +25 C: 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-30, 15W-40
- During winter from -35 to 0 C: 5W-30, 5W-40, 0W-30
- During summer from 0 C to +35 C: 20W-40, 20W-30, 25W-30, 25W-40

I'm Finnish and there are still plenty of old Ladas about and as long as you put oil in it it will run fine :), don't worry too much about zddp i used to be paranoid about it , use the Mobil 2000 i used it in my Ford Capri for years with no trouble which also has a flat tappet cam and a more aggressive cam than your lada, what part of Sweden do you live in ?

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I'm Finnish and there are still plenty of old Ladas about and as long as you put oil in it it will run fine :), don't worry too much about zddp i used to be paranoid about it , use the Mobil 2000 i used it in my Ford Capri for years with no trouble which also has a flat tappet cam and a more aggressive cam than your lada, what part of Sweden do you live in ?
My wife is Finnish . I don't know what that has to do with anything. My neighbor 4 houses up is Finnish as well and never hears the end if it from me,,, with the wife being Finnish and all.
15.gif

Last edited:
Anything above 800 ppm will suffice for OEM valve spring pressures. This is the floor established by the MFG's in consultation with the refiners when they were making comment to the EPA and the CARB (Calif Air Resources Board). Of course it's collective opinion. But seems that it has been born out by the fact that there are literally millions of old flat tappet V8's running around on modern oils that barely make 800 ppm...

Personally, I'd run a HDEO in that car as it's much closer to what the designers had in mind ...

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
My wife is Finnish . I don't know what that has to do with anything. My neighbor 4 houses up is Finnish as well and never hears the end if it from me,,, with the wife being Finnish and all.
15.gif

I meant that in Finland there are still plenty of ladas about and i was making a point that most of these people who own them have no clue what the heck zddp is and that since the engine is likely well worn in it's not really an issue and Ladas are not picky about what oil you put in them.

Originally Posted By: cluster5
Interesting post revived from the past.

It seems to be me answering to an old message and thus reviving the thread. However, when I answered the message this thread was on the first page of the "Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs" forum.

Question to moderators: could it be a bug of the forum that an old thread was moved to a first page of the forum? I am sure I saw this one on the first page ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back