Colt LE6920 vs. Ruger AR-556

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: totegoat
I don't buy junk if I can help it.

In the context of this discussion, what do you consider to be "junk" and why?

Is there a good website that talks about the differences in the gas systems on these? I'm potentially looking to build an AR, but I know nothing about them yet. I see all sorts of talk about full length vs mid length gas systems, but I can't find much that explains the difference between the two, and the pros and cons of both. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Is there a good website that talks about the differences in the gas systems on these? I'm potentially looking to build an AR, but I know nothing about them yet. I see all sorts of talk about full length vs mid length gas systems, but I can't find much that explains the difference between the two, and the pros and cons of both. Thanks.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2014/9/24/ar-gas-system-lengths-explained/
http://info.stagarms.com/blog/bid/297530...gy-for-an-AR-15

full length Gas is on a 20 inch barrel the softest shooting. then the mid length gas system which is a carbine length barrel with the gas being picked up farther down the barrel than a carbine length barrel. The Carbine legnth gas system has the harshest felt recoil which really isn't that harsh but noticeable. This post gives a great explanation Basically the different is felt how the bolt unlocks and at the time/pressure it unlocks

Originally Posted By: Doog
I built mine from PSA and Magpul. Got exactly what I wanted in every part.Cost: $700. The AR is a Mil.Spec rifle. You can literally buy every part from a different supplier.
Milspec is also the metals used, not just the fit.

Is there a good website that talks about the differences in the gas systems on these?

Ive been into AR's for the past 15 years and have owned a ton of them. If you are buying a 16 inch barrel, in this day and age, it makes almost no sense to buy a carbine gas gun over a mid-length. Mid-length is a much better system. In fact, I have never heard of a mid-length gun breaking a bolt, but carbine bolts break on average every 12K to 15K rounds. Reason being is that the mid-length system has a longer dwell time, and longer gas tube, which decreases the pressure at the bolt by 15-30%. Less pressure = less wear and tear = longer lasting components.

If you are buying a 14.5 or less barrel, go with a carbine gas system. For a 16 inch barrel, get a mid-length. For a 20 inch barrel, obviously go with a rifle length gas system.

And yes a few folks will say, "I have a 16" carbine gassed system and it shoots fine. My Ruger/Colt/Smith & Wesson/PSA/whatever carbine gassed rifle works perfect." I'm sure it does. Carbine length is a fine system, that works. But the mid-length is a BETTER system. Period. And you can get a good mid-length gun for about the same cost as a carbine system, so might as well do it right the first time and get the better system.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Is there a good website that talks about the differences in the gas systems on these?

Ive been into AR's for the past 15 years and have owned a ton of them. If you are buying a 16 inch barrel, in this day and age, it makes almost no sense to buy a carbine gas gun over a mid-length. Mid-length is a much better system. In fact, I have never heard of a mid-length gun breaking a bolt, but carbine bolts break on average every 12K to 15K rounds. Reason being is that the mid-length system has a longer dwell time, and longer gas tube, which decreases the pressure at the bolt by 15-30%. Less pressure = less wear and tear = longer lasting components.

If you are buying a 14.5 or less barrel, go with a carbine gas system. For a 16 inch barrel, get a mid-length. For a 20 inch barrel, obviously go with a rifle length gas system.

And yes a few folks will say, "I have a 16" carbine gassed system and it shoots fine. My Ruger/Colt/Smith & Wesson/PSA/whatever carbine gassed rifle works perfect." I'm sure it does. Carbine length is a fine system, that works. But the mid-length is a BETTER system. Period. And you can get a good mid-length gun for about the same cost as a carbine system, so might as well do it right the first time and get the better system.

It would be foolish to argue your statement but in the same breath I will say shooters of mid-lengths will swap their bolts at the 12k-15k count as a matter of routine maintenance anyway so the point is moot. And yes, carbine length has been working perfectly for decades.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Doog
I built mine from PSA and Magpul. Got exactly what I wanted in every part.Cost: $700. The AR is a Mil.Spec rifle. You can literally buy every part from a different supplier.
Milspec is also the metals used, not just the fit.

Mil-spec means following the TDP, and noone has yet, or ever will, release a M16/M4 type rifle "to the public" that follows the TDP. the closest you can get is an actual Pre-86 M16 on a transferrable Form 4, or a Post '86 Dealer Sample. Everything else is just "a variation thereof".

The composition of 4150 and 4140 actually overlap, as well, at extreme ends of the allowable percentages of the alloy.

I consider mil-spec a minimum standard. That said, it takes a lot of T&E, and some guesswork, to actually "beat" mil-spec, and even then, it is arguable ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GeorgeKaplan
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

It would be foolish to argue your statement but in the same breath I will say shooters of mid-lengths will swap their bolts at the 12k-15k count as a matter of routine maintenance anyway so the point is moot. And yes, carbine length has been working perfectly for decades.

Another point of data is the machinegun place in Nevada that rents guns out to civilians on their range. Battlefield Las Vegas, I believe. They recently fielded some Colt 6920's, and ran the snot out of them. The bolts lasted over 60K rounds (They get several k per week on a gun, constant use).

Then you have NSW who will run suppressed MK18's hard, and the bolt pops at around 7k.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back