Old house woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You cant just re-screen?

We have a 36" door. Beautiful, but big. Another side utility door is 30"... Undersized I guess.

Andersen made new storm doors for about $500 each, top of the line, custom size... Maybe 5 years ago?

We can swap the storm window and screen. If something went through the screen, we could roll in a new screen.

I recall that 30" is a closet door. (Also seems common in older apartments.)

I'm glad I never had to replace the front door on my old house. I do not even want to THINK about what it would cost...the door is a 7' high, ~40" wide, 3" thick slab of New England maple, and about 1000lbs.

I can't think of anything that would damage that door other than letting it soak up water... Also its about 70 bdft so closer to 300lbs, but still a solid door that you don't want to pinch a finger in!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You cant just re-screen?

We have a 36" door. Beautiful, but big. Another side utility door is 30"... Undersized I guess.

Andersen made new storm doors for about $500 each, top of the line, custom size... Maybe 5 years ago?

We can swap the storm window and screen. If something went through the screen, we could roll in a new screen.

I recall that 30" is a closet door. (Also seems common in older apartments.)

I'm glad I never had to replace the front door on my old house. I do not even want to THINK about what it would cost...the door is a 7' high, ~40" wide, 3" thick slab of New England maple, and about 1000lbs.

I can't think of anything that would damage that door other than letting it soak up water... Also its about 70 bdft so closer to 300lbs, but still a solid door that you don't want to pinch a finger in!

Yup, I think you are right on the weight, I just found a door weight calculator and for maple, using those dimensions, you are just under 300lbs.

Don't forget the weight of the wrought iron bands and the 4 hinges. And I mean "wrought" in the literal way: a blacksmith's hammer and anvil!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The opening is 85" tall by 34" wide. Apparently that's very large. The standard size seems to max out at 80" tall.
Easy...shim the opening so the standard screendoor frame will fit.

Ask this old house has several videos on hanging doors. A screen door is even easier.

Don't forget the weight of the wrought iron bands and the 4 hinges. And I mean "wrought" in the literal way: a blacksmith's hammer and anvil!

Sounds pretty imposing. Must be fun on Halloween...
45.gif

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
The opening is 85" tall by 34" wide. Apparently that's very large. The standard size seems to max out at 80" tall.

Ask this old house has several videos on hanging doors. A screen door is even easier.

Why would I want to shrink the opening? That would look like poop, since the big door that's behind the screen door is full sized
21.gif

The local building code mandates a 36" x 80" exterior door. Look for a local door and window company and give them a call.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Why would I want to shrink the opening? That would look like poop, since the big door that's behind the screen door is full sized
21.gif

OK..I thought you were complaining about a high, custom replacement cost. If not, no worries.

You may never notice it though, if done correctly & painted to match. Don't have the benefit of a photo, so I'm flying IFR here....

Well, after much discussion with the wife we are going to try and overhaul the present door, since getting a proper replacement appears to be problematic. I picked up a new handle and lock assembly and replaced it yesterday, and it actually looks quite nice. We'll be pulling the screens this week for replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back