mixing gear oil for manual tran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a 2013 GLI.. 6spd. been using Amsoil MTG fluid for past two drains. However, last fluid change I mixed 2L Amsoil MTG and the rest with OEM fluid

now 30k miles later its getting notchy and more feel.. I know its time for a change, its not as smooth

I'm planning to go back to 100% Amsoil MTG fill. Or was thinking of mixing...

Whats takes on mixing:

Amsoil MTG fluid

with Motul gear 300?

I was thinking trying Motul gear 300 in the car, although I feel it'll be too notchy during winter here in central florida. I do not track the car, but it does take a beating.

What are you hoping to accomplish by mixing them? I would tend to agree with the others and run Redline as I have done with a few cars. However, I cant see why the Amsoil wouldnt work also.

You might try the Redline MT-85 for winter.

The Motul 300 75W90 is slightly thicker than Amsoil MTG or Redline MT-85.

Last edited:
Good info guys

I see there is Redline MT90 and also Redline MTL. Some folks were mixing it at 50/50 to have a slightly less Viscosity. Winters here we sometimes get down to freezing. Ofcourse, with a manual vehicle in cold; it'll be notchy. With Amsoil it hasnt been too bad... but typically 2nd gear is like going into a box of rocks and have to work it. Long as better wear protection and shear stability over OEM. etc.

Normally drain every 20-30k...

Originally Posted By: ntoxicator
Good info guys

I see there is Redline MT90 and also Redline MTL. Some folks were mixing it at 50/50 to have a slightly less Viscosity. Winters here we sometimes get down to freezing. Ofcourse, with a manual vehicle in cold; it'll be notchy. With Amsoil it hasnt been too bad... but typically 2nd gear is like going into a box of rocks and have to work it. Long as better wear protection and shear stability over OEM. etc.

Normally drain every 20-30k...

The MTL worked flawlessly in below zero temps in my Mini the last few years.

Thanks everyone...

MTL looks great. However, I think i'll do a mix of MTL and MT90. or talk me out of that? Florida heat, car does get flogged nearly daily basis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back