Any thoughts on the Hersheys attempted buyout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
"The company’s(Hershey) Board of Directors, after receiving input from the company’s management and its outside financial and legal advisors, carefully evaluated the indication of interest. Following this review, the Board of Directors of the Company unanimously rejected the indication of interest and determined that it provided no basis for further discussion between Mondelez and the company,"

Quote:
sources said Mondelez said it would protect Pennsylvania jobs, relocate its own headquarters to Dauphin County and adopt Hershey's name for the unified firm.

So they are trying to get the Hershey name? What is the motive here? Mondelez cannot be believed. It gave similar assurances to Cadbury and broke them immediately. Secondly, anti-trust considerations will be invoked.

Sign of desperation about by Mondelez CEO. Needs to go! I really liked how Hershey's said F* you!

It's far less profitable than Mondelez so to believe that they will retain the status quo after the acquisition is naive.

It's great if you're long HSY.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
that company is an entire town. it would be like Penn State moving out of collegetown

Indeed. Hershey is a company town for all intensive purposes, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hershey family still controls most of the company as well. If you remove the production of confections from the town you literally rip the heart of it.

Glad Hershey told this shady and low brow international conglomerate to pound salt.

If you go on a plant tour they give you free samples at the end. You can also take the expedited tour where you go straight to the sampling area. Same thing with the Coors plant in Golden, CO. They probably have twelve different beers on tap. There's a sign that says to limit the samples to about three or so.

I doubt the rejection had anything to do with "feelings or heart". The pot wasn't sweet enough, that's all.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe buy them and move production to Mexico like Oreo cookies ?

What? My Oreo Cookies now made in Mexico!

Originally Posted By: linkbelt

What? My Oreo Cookies now made in Mexico!

Yes, many Nabisco cookies are. Have you noticed the quality of the product is not as good as it was
a decade or so ago....the cookie has become tasteless and the creme filling is
damp, slick and slimy, and has no taste except of excessively sweetness.
I've been eating Oreos for over 40 years and I can tell you the are not what they once were.
They WERE really good decades ago, now they are terrible.

Oreo cookies are still made in the usa, and in 17 other countries around the world.

and it is possible that you may have eaten cookies made in mexico as that production facility supports oreo north american business sales.

“Even once the new investment (which was announced in late July) is fully completed in Mexico (by mid-2016), we will still have significant Oreo production in the US, spanning our three biscuit plants in NJ, VA and OR, with dedicated lines in these facilities focused on Oreo production for the US market.”

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
I doubt the rejection had anything to do with "feelings or heart". The pot wasn't sweet enough, that's all.

The Hershey Family still does control a majority of shares, at least until the past decade, if so I wouldn't be surprised that they still have an interest in keeping their good name in the community, after all they LIVE in Hershey and the surrounding area as well. Not to mention increasingly consumers are becoming more aware of how their choices affect their own immediate communities...

When Nabisco was sold to Mondelez I immediately stopped buying Oreos and other related Nabisco products. Same with Breyers, when the iconic ice cream maker was sold to giant conglomerate Unilever, I stopped buying the product...of course not to long after they were bought the quality of Breyers went WAAAAY DOWN, and now it is no longer ALL NATURAL, but horrid slimy artificial
"frozen dessert."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: wemay

The Hershey Family still does control a majority of shares, at least until the past decade, if so I wouldn't be surprised that they still have an interest in keeping their good name in the community, after all they LIVE in Hershey and the surrounding area as well. Not to mention increasingly consumers are becoming more aware of how their choices affect their own immediate communities...

When Nabisco was sold to Mondelez I immediately stopped buying Oreos and other related Nabisco products. Same with Breyers, when the iconic ice cream maker was sold to giant conglomerate Unilever, I stopped buying the product...of course not to long after they were bought the quality of Breyers went WAAAAY DOWN, and now it is no longer ALL NATURAL, but horrid slimy artificial
"frozen dessert."

You not buying product due to where it is/isn't manufactured is more an exception than the rule. Most consumers could care less. Look how many cars are made in Mexico. People STILL BUY THEM and they cost a lot more than a container of ice cream.

Probably.

I thought Hershey chocolate was made outside of the USA since a few years ago. They are still made in USA? That is awesome. I buy the big jumbo Hershey bars, 7 oz I think. I refrigerate them, better when chilled!!

Originally Posted By: CKN

You not buying product due to where it is/isn't manufactured is more an exception than the rule. Most consumers could care less. Look how many cars are made in Mexico. People STILL BUY THEM and they cost a lot more than a container of ice cream.

Of course I am the exception. However for the masses you claim, the bottom line is that the cost cutting has made the iconic product quality poor, and most folks won't buy a bad tasting
product for long, even if Mondelez is trading on Oreo's good name. Like Unilever has with
Breyers' good name. Eventually the consumer doesn't like the quality and they go elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: CKN

Of course I am the exception. However for the masses you claim, the bottom line is that the cost cutting has made the iconic product quality poor, and most folks won't buy a bad tasting
product for long, even if Mondelez is trading on Oreo's good name. Like Unilever has with
Breyers' good name. Eventually the consumer doesn't like the quality and they go elsewhere.

I don't remember what OREO's tasted like a decade ago but the current iteration still tastes better than anything else trying to duplicate it. It's just a sad fact that manufacturing is much much cheaper elsewhere and it isn't a trend anymore, just a way of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back