Amsoil announces 6% price hike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preferred customer here. Won't be renewing it. Oil has been falling for several years with no price drop. Now as oil increases, low and behold a price increase. I understand that all the other major manufacturers and blenders may have in increase as well, but they don't withhold OEM certifications claiming to give the savings back to the customer. The gimmicky changes to the PC accounts was disappointing as well. Shipping pricing is still the worst aspect. I was on the fence anyway.

Castrol Magnatec is $17 for 5 quarts, $22 for Mobil 1.

The big selling thing for Amsoil was the extended drains.

I remember dealers with their car in vinyl wraps saying ask me how I only change my oil once a year..

With the quality and cheapness of oil, I won't extend drains.

Originally Posted By: Click
I find it sad that some people keep referring to their marketing as 'pyramid' and use of the word 'scheme' which implies something illegal. MLM is NOT a pyramid (which is illegal) and MLM is perfectly legal in all 50 states. If you dont like it, dont buy it but at least AMSOIL lets you buy as a PC - wholesale. Can you buy other lubes at wholesale? Nothing wrong with that either is there?

"Wholesale price" is whatever the seller wishes to define it as, the term has no meaning. Just because you can buy it cheaper because you are part of the MLM pyramid structure at a different level than someone else means nothing.

And I don't need to buy other lubes at wholesale. I can buy them for far less at Walmart.

A few months ago, my Schaeffer rep gave me a call and said most of their stuff was dropping in price. Now we see Amsoil hiking theirs. Schaeffer uses many of the same base oil and additive suppliers as Amsoil. I smell a rat.

This wont affect me,as I've got stores locally that sell it.

With that said,I dont really have the desire to run Amsoil anymore,as I'll eventually move everything over to Schaeffers oil.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Unfortunate--especially since oil prices are still lower than they were two years ago and the Amsoil prices were not lowered when the price of oil dropped. I use them for UOAs, gear oil, and transmission fluid. Guess I need to place an order before it goes up and my preferred membership expires.

plus

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
A few months ago, my Schaeffer rep gave me a call and said most of their stuff was dropping in price. Now we see Amsoil hiking theirs. Schaeffer uses many of the same base oil and additive suppliers as Amsoil. I smell a rat.

equals

Very interesting....

I was thinking about getting the Amsoil 75W140 when I upgrade the clutch pack in my LSD, but it looks like I will go 2 blocks down the street and get some Schaeffers instead.

It sounds like to me that the new guy in charge wants to increase his profits i.e. raising prices & cheapening the products.

Originally Posted By: Click
FYI they have a locator and their products are found on retail shelves in cities all around the country but NEVER in big box stores.

That's gotta hurt. I bet they wish they were, like Royal Purple is available at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
Preferred customer here. Won't be renewing it. Oil has been falling for several years with no price drop. Now as oil increases, low and behold a price increase. I understand that all the other major manufacturers and blenders may have in increase as well, but they don't withhold OEM certifications claiming to give the savings back to the customer. The gimmicky changes to the PC accounts was disappointing as well. Shipping pricing is still the worst aspect. I was on the fence anyway.

Same here.

I finally came to the conclusion that it just doesn't make sense to pay the Preferred Customer fee, shipping fee and then the actual cost of the oil when I can go to Wally World or even Amazon and buy premium oil for less.

I've run a little bit of everything, but as of this weekend, I'm switching to Castrol.

Originally Posted By: BlindBaby
Originally Posted By: zuluplus30

Same here.

I finally came to the conclusion that it just doesn't make sense to pay the Preferred Customer fee, shipping fee and then the actual cost of the oil when I can go to Wally World or even Amazon and buy premium oil for less.

I've run a little bit of everything, but as of this weekend, I'm switching to Castrol.

I, too am a PC and will be letting my "membership" expire.

Schaeffer's has free shipping (albeit at $375 and over, easy to make the new stash LOL) and when working through a rep it is about $2 less per quart than Amsoil, for what I've come to see as a better product.

Last edited:
The thing is, Amsoil does have some very good products in their lineup. I have used some of their stuff over the years. But their way of marketing and such really tacks on the price one has to pay. I can remember when I used to get the Amsoil magazines occasionally. It would show who was the top sellers of the month. It was always the same folks, and usually little old ladies that probably never sold a quart of the stuff in their life. Their husband was one of the early reps to get on board, had built up a serious downline of sales folks and now the wife is raking it in every month and getting credit for being one of the top sales folks for the month. Half the folks in the top monthly lineup on sales were that way. And they sure had the look of opulence. It is what it is. Folks can either deal with it or avoid the stuff. I still will get a few items from them now and then, but most of my oil and greases I get from Schaeffer.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
For me, this news is like a tree falling in the forest with no one to hear it.

I never see Amsoil at retail so I don't keep up with their pricing.

Same here ... This news means nothing to me as I never see it in a store anywhere. I have no interest in Amsoil.

Hastings Engine Air Filter #AF1511

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L
Castrol GTX Conventional 5W-30
FRAM Tough Guard Oil Filter #TG3614
Motorcraft Engine Air Filter #FA-1890

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
To those concerened about " pocket change" Re-configure your cable tv package to reduce expense so you can buy some good oil for a change
smile.gif
Or skip that DD coffee run altogether and save some real cash.

OR, keep all your movie and sports channels the same and just buy SuperTech from Walmart. Your motor will not blow up from using it.

You can't blame Amsoil. The fact is the major brands are so good and the boutique brands are becoming increasingly irrelevant, unless it's a very specific niche product.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
To those concerened about " pocket change" Re-configure your cable tv package to reduce expense so you can buy some good oil for a change
smile.gif
Or skip that DD coffee run altogether and save some real cash.

OR, keep all your movie and sports channels the same and just buy SuperTech from Walmart. Your motor will not blow up from using it.

I have noticed that folks use the term" motor will not blow up" often when speaking of different wts of oil, or different brands of oil. Kinda funny.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back