Espiration date for free windows 10 upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Download the ISO onto a flash drive or burn it to a DVD. Then, you can do the "upgrade" after the expiration date without having to pony up.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Download the ISO onto a flash drive or burn it to a DVD. Then, you can do the "upgrade" after the expiration date without having to pony up.

Link to the said ISO?

I am running 81., I see NO REASON to upgrade. I buy new PC's every ten years so by the time 8.1 is done, I'll just move to a new OS with new machine.

Paid serious money and features for use on Windows 8.1 to be automated and productive.. I am **not** upgrading just for the sake of *free* or coolness.

Last edited:
Downloading before the 29th won't work. The expiration date is to have the installation activated.

There is a way around it if tedious. If you install windows 10 and have it activated before the 29th you can take it off again then reinstall later than the 29th and it will still work because Microsoft's servers will remember that your computer has already activated.

I've just done several clean usb installs of win 10 and it works a treat.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I am running 81., I see NO REASON to upgrade. I buy new PC's every ten years so by the time 8.1 is done, I'll just move to a new OS with new machine.

Paid serious money and features for use on Windows 8.1 to be automated and productive.. I am **not** upgrading just for the sake of *free* or coolness.

I've just replaced 8.1 for 10 and while I like 10 I saw no performance improvement other than a smaller footprint on the drive because 10 does away with the recovery partition. If you are happy with 8.1 I'd stick with it.

Originally Posted By: barryh
Downloading before the 29th won't work. The expiration date is to have the installation activated.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

I don't see anything compelling reason to update. The promise of 30% more graphics performance for gamers has not materialized. And the new IE replacement browser "Edge" does not support JAVA and has issues with many web portals we use at work. Maybe when 4K monitors become mainstream Win10 will have something to offer but not today. Windows 7 is still leaner, meaner and very stable.

This is the last windows before it turns from purchased ownership into subscription based revenue engine.

Mine was activated because I did install Windows 10 last year. I found a number of annoyances using it and it actually took longer to boot than Windows 7. As "luck" would have it I had an SSD failure and had to do a clean OS install. I decided to stick with Windows 7 for now. So, I guess I may be able to "upgrade" to 10 after the deadline. I'm honestly not too concerned about it.

One good thing about Windows 10 is they designed it to be used across all sorts of platforms so it has a small footprint and low hardware requirements. For a laugh I tried a clean usb install on a 7 year old laptop half expecting it to fail on hardware compatibility. It went on no problenm and even found all the drivers. On such low spec hardware the performance was a revelation compared to WIN 7. I reckon if I was to put in an SSD it would be perfectly usable.

"Edge" in Windows 10 will be a good browser if they ever finish developing it to have a proper set of features. You have to admit it's very fast.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I have Win 7. Nothing happens if I don't upgrade? I really like this one and don't want to relearn the desktop and other stuff.

Nothing should happen if you don't allow the Window 10 upgrade. I plan on keeping Windows 7 until it's not supported anymore.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I think there are some people that would pay to go back to the previous system.

That would be dumb. It's free.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I have Win 7. Nothing happens if I don't upgrade? I really like this one and don't want to relearn the desktop and other stuff.

What's to relearn? If you weren't told it was upgraded and aren't tech savvy, you might not even notice, it's that similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back