Toughest Minivan Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: outoforder
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: outoforder
Originally Posted By: racer12306
How heavy is your loaded trailer?

Weight is around 2700 pounds. I am looking to buy used.

you didn't say your budget so let me me the one outside the box:
conversion vans (chevy astro, savannah, etc etc)
probably you can buy them around $3-5k (unless you go for the luxury packages) in relatively good condition but they will be 10-15 years old.
i wonder if you can buy a regular chrysler minivan ( i think 2011 up with HD brakes)and apply (or have applied) the towing package (somebody please tell me if i said something stupid)?

Funny you say that because I was looking at conversion vans the other day. I liked everything about them except for the backseat. I like how the minivan seats will fold into the floor to allow for easy loading of cargo and equipment.

Do Honda's or Toyota's fold into the floor?

I thought it was a Chrysler thing, but that may only be the middle seats that are special. Even the Chrysler built VW Routan didn't get Stow and Go.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: panther427
The ford flex is half minivan half suv. I believe the na 3.5 v6 ones had a tow package

Yes - IIRC it will tow up to 4k lbs. You could also get the Ecoboost Flex that is a haul-butt people mover and can tow as well. You either love or hate the look though.

If you can find one of the Hyundai/Kia models they should come with the 100k powertrain warranty which would help remove any fears.

+1 Ugly as anything but three rows, plenty of cargo space and a solid engine/transmission makes it a great people hauler/tower. My brother in law had one as a work vehicle and loved it. Took some time to get over the quirky looks though.

Also, if you can get a 2014 and up Chrylser those are supposed to be nice vans which will also suite your need. Somebody posted an extensive review of the brand new one and I don't believe there was many changes made between 2014 and 2016. Worth a look.

Originally Posted By: racer12306

Do Honda's or Toyota's fold into the floor?

I thought it was a Chrysler thing, but that may only be the middle seats that are special. Even the Chrysler built VW Routan didn't get Stow and Go.

Dodge/chrysler is the only one that has stow-n-go middle row seating. I think they all have stow away back seats.

Late model Dodge Grand Caravans can tow up to 3600lbs "when properly equipped". ~3500lbs is pretty standard for any later model minivan.

Whatever you get, if it does not have a transmission cooler install one. While installing the cooler replace your trans fluid with a synthetic fluid that is compatible with the trans.

I have an '09 VW Routan, which rolled off the same line as the Chrysler T&C and Dodge Grand Caravan. Identical except for cosmetics. I've never towed with it, but I personally don't think they are well-suited for towing:

The 5th Gen Chrysler minivans (2008-2016 MYs) early years had grossly undersized brakes even when not towing, until some time in 2012-MY when they upgraded to larger brakes (look for dual-piston calipers to identify the larger brakes).

My transmission died around 100k miles, and I never towed with it. From what I've seen on other forums, these transmission failures are not an uncommon occurrence around 100k . AFAIK, except for a very few 2008's with the 3.3L engine, the Chrysler-built 6-speed (62TE) transmission was used for the entire 5th Gen run. Not sure if Chryco is moving the 6th Gen (2017+ MY) to the ZF 8-speed or sticking with the in-house 62TE.

With that said, I believe the 5th gen Chryco vans are rated for 2000#, with the tow prep package raising the limit to 3600#. The tow prep package comes with load leveling rear shocks, trailer tow wiring harness, engine oil cooler, HD transmission oil cooler, HD engine cooling, HD radiator (some of those I think are redundant). The tow prep package was optional on the base and lower option packages, and standard on the higher option packages. (You can get the factory build sheet online from Mopar with the VIN, if you want to confirm the tow prep package was pre-installed.)

Hope that helps some. I can't speak to the Toyota, Honda, Nissan or Kia/Hyundai minivans.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd stay clear of Honda.
27.gif

Honda has no known problems with 6 speed auto in current generation 2011 to present. Some older models had this too.

It's really amazing on BITOG how when one particular model/manufacturer has an issue in a model (mini-van) that issue goes on and on in some people's minds. On another thread a poster said he wouldn't buy a Toyota because of "sludge engines". How many years ago was that?

Last edited:
I had the tow package installed on my Odyssey when I bought it new, and it's then rated for 3500 lbs. The package was the hitch, wiring, and an additional ATF cooler. I've towed my friend's boat a few times and have had no issues, but I did do a ATF D&F at 5k miles and another at 30k miles as a precaution.

Then there is the other half who says that all domestic vehicles are garbage and if you don't buy a Honda or Toyota you might as well be taking a dump on your money. It's what makes us different that makes this fun
43.gif

I have a 2006 Toyota Sienna U151E Aisin transmission . Been towing with it every summer since 2009 (60,000km on the clock at that time). Probably averaging 5,000 towing km per year, pulling a 3,500 lb tent trailer. Didn't add a tranny cooler until 2011 or 2012. The vehicle is now over 230,000 km. Never been rebuilt. Had the vehicle since new. Annual drain and fill using T-IV since I began towing.

Still runs fine, and while it doesn't feel new, it does feel well kept for its age. Fluid is always clean bright red, and smells new. I do watch my temp, monitored in the line just as it comes out of the transmission, and I never do an extended run over 230F and never exceed 240F, which typically only occurs for me climbing very steep mountains (eg Rockies).

I'd say it is a tough minivan transmission.

I know with the 3rd generation Dodge GC the limit is 3500lbs with the towing package and 2000lbs if you add on a hitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back