Citgo Supergard 0W-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
KCJeep,
IMO, the new 0W16 grade, from what's been delivered by Ravenol, Citgo, and Penrite are (nearly) monogrades in their behaviour between low shear and high shear.

While I said that the 10W could REALLY (nearly) be labelled a 10W16, I wasn't joking that hard, it could be.

I think that the Japanese in pushing for these grades have lost the need for the stratospheric VIs, and poor high shear performance.

As to 10W, back in the early 1970s, the Bathurst race was won by a Holden Monaro with an SBC, running 10W with Bardhall additive.

Mobil's SpectraSyn 8 PAO base (8cSt) has a CCS visc of 4,800cP @ -30C and an MRV of 16,200cP @ -40C. There's a straight 5w-20, LOL! Perhaps even a 0w-20.

In addition, the SpectraSyn 6 PAO base (5.8cSt) has a CCS of 2,260cP @ -30C and an MRV of 6,500cP. Add a touch of something to thicken it up and you have your 0w-16.

I wonder if my local Fleet Farm will be carrying this anytime soon? I'll get pictures if they do.

Anyone read the PI spec sheet? Applications: turbocharged engines. Really? I think that would be considered premeditated turbo murder!

When cold, is still a thich oil. Maybe using a 10 gallon sump, won't get above 70C, will lube a Cummins. Not in my car.

Last edited:
Citgo 10W, Delo 400 10W and other SAE10Ws, look like perfect SAE 10W12s, while other mono-grade 10W examples may be labeled SAE 5W12.
High VI XW20 grades may display a slight fuel economy improvement in some ambient and short trip applications over low VI examples.
When XW16 and XW12 grades become common use, I can't see a high VI being a desired or marketable specification.
There may be no performance advantage, but possible disadvantages to lower VI engine oils of the same grade.
High VI may bring with it; higher NOACK, lower oxidation resistance, lower HTHS, slower warm-up to activate AW additives and a higher price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I suspect aults will make their way into the numbering system.

Say,
You want better cold start up than German Castrol 0w-30 then you would reach for 00w-30.

Where would you be that you needed the CCS at -40C, and the MRV at -45C

We had those temperatures this past winter.

Even my group III Syntec in the jug was lookin' like syrup.
shocked.gif

At -45C you wouldn't get me out of bed, so the oil doesn't matter.

However I use to work in an outback mine and I would happily labour all day at +45 C. I was running Penrite HPR 20W-60 back then.

As if 0w-20 wasn't already thin enough. I've heard Royal Purple has a 0w-5 already, nuts! Probably has the same viscosity of WD-40.

The Royal Purple 0W-5 is a racing oil only and is different than the PCMO being talked about here, it carries no certifications whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
The Royal Purple 0W-5 is a racing oil only and is different than the PCMO being talked about here, it carries no certifications whatsoever.

And since that grade (and 0w-10) don't exist, they don't list the actual viscosity for the product that I can find. It is probably about as thin as a 0w-16.

There is a 2WT racing oil as well.

Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER

There is a 2WT racing oil as well.

It's Redline and is for drag racing.

Unlike Royal Purple, Redline actually lists viscosity:

Their 2WT reads:
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 3.0
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 11.0
Viscosity Index 136
NOACK Loss 65% (holy bat poo!!!)

Their 0w5 reads:
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 4.6
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 21.8
Viscosity Index 134
NOACK Loss 12%

Which, according to the latest J300 table (thanks Widman):

Means that the 2WT doesn't exist as an official grade for motor oil and the 0w5 is actually a 0w-8 under the new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back