2ZR-FE Oil filter Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosch 3313-$3 on clearance 42 pleats (USA)
Fram CH 10358 - $6, 53 pleats (USA)
AC Delco PF 1768- $8.50, 43 pleats (China)
Toyota 04152-yzza6 $6, 41 pleats (comes with a new washer)-Thailand
Carquest red R84064, $3.25 43 pleats (China)

The Carquest and AC Delco look identical. The Fram was made in the USA but it looks like the any new ones are made in China.

The Bosch is about 1/8" taller then the others which.

Thanks for the pics.
Fram CH10358 is made in three countries, USA, China and Korea. The China version looks identical to your AC and CQ. Out of all three, the USA seem to be the worst, hit and miss quality. I guess "made in USA" isn't what it used to be.

Here's a USA and China comparison. Not a good pic from my phone, sorry.
Note how the USA made(left)looks like the leaning tower. Since I saw this, I like to check them out whenever I can and have found about 10-15% tend to be poor quality like this one.
2ldfxhh.jpg

osyjyq.jpg

And the Korea version. Haven't seen one in person but looks good. I'd like to get one just to test the glue quality. Might be the best of the Fram bunch.
ux1n6.jpg

Last edited:
You should've gotten Wix. probably the best widely-available filter for that engine. Made in Poland.

The AC and CQ are the same because both are made by Fram/Champ.

Purolator makes Bosch filters. In fact, any US-made Bosch filter is a Purolator. Mahle makes a really good filter for the 2ZR. OX416D1. Made in Austria. If you can get it, the Mann HU 6006z is most likely made in Germany or Spain.

My first choice would be Mahle, with Wix being my second choice. If there was a sale on the Wix XP, I'd take that too.

In another thread someone noticed that the fram ultra cartridges (and a number of others) were a little larger than the toyota OEM filter for a 3.5L 2GR-FE. I hate the toyota has moved from the canister filters to the cartridges. The consistency of sizing is a problem that is widespread for cartridges. If the canister is a little bigger, it doesn't really matter.

eek.gif

Are the depths of the pleats about the same? On canister filters makers seem to be making very wide center tubes where there could be media instead.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
In another thread someone noticed that the fram ultra cartridges (and a number of others) were a little larger than the toyota OEM filter for a 3.5L 2GR-FE. I hate the toyota has moved from the canister filters to the cartridges. The consistency of sizing is a problem that is widespread for cartridges. If the canister is a little bigger, it doesn't really matter.

eek.gif

Larger as in longer? or wider?

Originally Posted By: funflyer

eek.gif

I found they were longer.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
Originally Posted By: funflyer

eek.gif

I found they were longer.

I believe the housings can accommodate a slightly longer or shorter cartridge. How much? Next time I pull the Toyota's filter I will take some measurements and find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back