Weird problem with laptop. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lenovo T460 laptop w/ Intel HD Graphics 520. Two identical external monitors: one on the HDMI output, one on the Mini-DisplayPort output with an MDP-to-HDMI dongle.

Problem: When I try to use all three displays (2x external + laptop), it works, but at least one of the externals will flicker intermittently (usually the one on the HDMI output). It's like there's noise on a sync signal or something. Parts of the screen will distort for like a fraction of a second at a time. Sometimes the monitor will blink off and on as though I've selected a different input (e.g. the OSD will show "HDMI" when the image comes back). Sometimes, when it's in a really bad mood, the flickering monitor will throw an error message saying it's being asked for a refresh rate that isn't what's set in software (e.g. 62 Hz instead of 60 Hz). Turning the affected monitor off and on again makes it okay for a moment, and then the problem resumes. Hugely disruptive.

The problem gets worse with sustained heavy HD access, or when there's an external USB HD attached. It also got slightly worse after we added RAM to the system.

When I only use two displays, the problem becomes almost nonexistent -- still there, but rare enough not to hurt my work. However, I did have one incident where the picture suddenly became all washed out and grainy until I rebooted.

Troubleshooting steps we've tried, in no particular order:

- Different monitors
- Every combo of output, cable, and monitor
- Different MDP-to-HDMI dongle
- MDP-to-VGA instead of MDP-to-HDMI
- Lower res on the laptop monitor
- Lower refresh rates on all monitors
- Different display scaling settings
- Different power outlets
- Different surge protectors
- Disabling unused system devices (WiFi, card reader, HDMI audio)
- Un-jumbling cables (to try to reduce EMI)
- Different laptop (exact same model)

No change from any of the above.

Any ideas? I have a couple more but I feel like I'm grasping at straws at this point.

Are you running the latest Video drivers?
It looks like there was a recent video driver update (at least for Windoze 10 64bit) for both the Nvidia and Intel video chipsets.
There is also a Windoze 10 monitor INF file update.

This may not apply for other Windoze versions. You could go to the web support site and have it detect your laptop and check for updates.
Check the readme links for the updates to see it any of the changes may apply to your issue.

Leveno T460 updates

You could also check the Intel or Nvidia web site for an updated video driver.

Does the video use shared ram from the laptop? You said it is worse after adding memory, maybe you have a RAM issue.

Last edited:
Its probably some kind of power issue.. uses too much power/signal to run 3 displays with an adapter.

I would try running the 2 external monitors off a DP Daisychain.
or an active powered adapter(uses usb or transformer for power)

This doesn't have a dock right?

If it has a dock update its firmware there are issues with it currently.

Originally Posted By: Rand
are they active or passive adapters?
what monitor model.

Passive adapters.

Current monitors are LG 23MP57HQ-P. Had the same issue with other monitors, though.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
Are you running the latest Video drivers?
It looks like there was a recent video driver update (at least for Windoze 10 64bit) for both the Nvidia and Intel video chipsets.
There is also a Windoze 10 monitor INF file update.

This may not apply for other Windoze versions. You could go to the web support site and have it detect your laptop and check for updates.
Check the readme links for the updates to see it any of the changes may apply to your issue.

Leveno T460 updates

You could also check the Intel or Nvidia web site for an updated video driver.

Does the video use shared ram from the laptop? You said it is worse after adding memory, maybe you have a RAM issue.

Yes, all drivers are updated. Forgot to mention this is Windows 7.

The GPU does share system RAM. Currently set to 128 MB; I tried setting it to 256 MB but there was no change.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Its probably some kind of power issue.. uses too much power/signal to run 3 displays with an adapter.

I would try running the 2 external monitors off a DP Daisychain.
or an active powered adapter(uses usb or transformer for power)

This doesn't have a dock right?

If it has a dock update its firmware there are issues with it currently.

I suspect you're right about the power issue.

Would love to try an active adapter or daisy-chain. Would also have loved a dock. No dice on any of that, sadly.
frown.gif

Ok - looks like I ran out of time for editing my previous post

- - - - - - -

Honestly with just a quick glance over your gear, to me it just seems like you're pushing the internal video card too far with 2 extra 23" monitors on HD resolutions and the laptop display.
(even though I know by the tech specs it states it can support up to 3 max)
Although many other issues could be going on.

I would just turn off the laptop display and run the externals.
Curious if the laptop is actually having issues with the external monitors/adapter OR if it is just pushing out too much resolution/refresh rate.

Just sounds like it's bottle-necking somewhere to me.

As others said before, a docking station would be the way to go.

- - - - - - -
Standard stuff:

Make sure the graphics driver is up-to-date directly with intel rather than the lenovo website or even try an intel beta driver, wouldn't hurt.
Looks like the intel website is more up-to-date with recent releases anyway.

Intel Main Download:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Latest Intel HD 520 Drivers
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=intel+hd+520

Last edited:
Here is something to try that I did not see listed, but maybe you already tried it.

"Every combo of output, cable, and monitor"

Hdmi-to-DVI cable for your HDMI output port?

Anyways, best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I think it would probably work with a pair of true DP displays. It probably just isnt able to handle all the different syncs.

The sync hypothesis was the other thing I was suspecting.

What is it about DisplayPort that makes you think it'd work better?

Originally Posted By: Kwuality
Ok - looks like I ran out of time for editing my previous post

- - - - - - -

Honestly with just a quick glance over your gear, to me it just seems like you're pushing the internal video card too far with 2 extra 23" monitors on HD resolutions and the laptop display.
(even though I know by the tech specs it states it can support up to 3 max)
Although many other issues could be going on.

I would just turn off the laptop display and run the externals.
Curious if the laptop is actually having issues with the external monitors/adapter OR if it is just pushing out too much resolution/refresh rate.

Just sounds like it's bottle-necking somewhere to me.

As others said before, a docking station would be the way to go.

- - - - - - -
Standard stuff:

Make sure the graphics driver is up-to-date directly with intel rather than the lenovo website or even try an intel beta driver, wouldn't hurt.
Looks like the intel website is more up-to-date with recent releases anyway.

Intel Main Download:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Latest Intel HD 520 Drivers
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=intel+hd+520

Thanks for the tip on going directly to Intel. Should have thought of that earlier. Looks like there may have been at least one release since I last updated.

Originally Posted By: Kwuality
Here is something to try that I did not see listed, but maybe you already tried it.

"Every combo of output, cable, and monitor"

Hdmi-to-DVI cable for your HDMI output port?

Anyways, best of luck to you!

Haven't tried that. I remember there was a reason we concluded it wasn't worth trying, but I can't remember what that reason was, lol. Might as well give it a shot, I guess!

A guy at the office had a similar problem. He bought a USB 3.0 "Video Card" with a HDMI out on it. I did not think it would work but it did.

I think it was like 40 bucks.

Adapter may be bad also, many are flakey.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Haven't tried that. I remember there was a reason we concluded it wasn't worth trying, but I can't remember what that reason was, lol. Might as well give it a shot, I guess!

I think it's worth giving it a shot honestly to use an hdmi-to-dvi cable through the hdmi port.
I would think downgrading to a legacy connection when having display issues on that port is never something to write off when troubleshooting.
Especially if the issue is mostly from your HDMI port.
Even though based off everything you've been through it does not look like it will work, but still something I would personally try if it was me just to exhaust that possibility.

Honestly the sync issue sounds more probable, but I would still try the cable if it's something you have not done yet - worst case scenario it doesn't work you just return it (if you dont have one)

This is an older article for T430 laptops (utilizing a mini dock), but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some type of correlating issue with your T460.
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht074304

meh, just some additional information to go off of at least.

Keep us informed
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I think it would probably work with a pair of true DP displays. It probably just isnt able to handle all the different syncs.

The sync hypothesis was the other thing I was suspecting.

What is it about DisplayPort that makes you think it'd work better?

Displayport is capable of having the monitor change its sync so they all fall at the same time (provided they are running the same refresh rate)

I had a problem a few years back with a HD5870 where one of my monitors would flicker at times. I finally figured out it was happening each time the card changed its clock rate due to load.
I sent a trouble ticket to AMD and a engineer got back to me. Basically what was happening is when the card wants to change its memory clock, it does so on a sync. If it does, its invisible. But since I had two DVI monitors on it, their syncs were not lined up. So it would change the clock on the sync of one monitor, but the other was out of phase and it would flicker or distort for a split second. They sent me a beta driver that basically locked the memory clock at maximum if you have more than one Non-DP monitor attached, and that got around the issue. Drivers to this day will still do that, at the loss of power efficiency.

With DP, the card can tell the monitor to wait for the next sync, and so then they are all in phase. So when it changes clock rate its invisible.

Last edited:
Interesting! Thanks for the explanation.

Looks like these monitors don't have DP ins. Is there a splitter or something that'll plug into one DP port and give me two DP or HDMI outs?

Interesting story about the driver, too. Wonder if there's a similar problem in Intel's drivers.

Yes, it is possible to run two Monitors off one DP port. Newer DP monitors even have a DP out so you can daisy chain them. Its called multi stream. It wont work with adapters though, only native DP screen AFAIK. You can get MST hubs for older DP devices with no output.

Here is a page with a Thinkpad laptop driving three external monitors in daisy chain from a single DP out.
http://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back