Toughest Minivan Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 dogs that I transport regularly and was considering a minivan to make it easier for them to get in and out of the vehicle. I also tow an 18 foot bass boat 5-8 times a year 30 miles round trip to the lake. Are all transmissions in these vehicles about the same or is one more robust than the others? I understand that minivan and towing should not be used in the same sentence However, I feel the platform is "good enough" to meet my all around needs.

Chrysler has a towing package available for their minivans. On many years, it was standard. No upgrade needed. Are you buying new or used?

Check the weight. I can't imagine a minivan is up to pulling much of a load. Some minivans have transmission trouble without towing anything.

The Transit Connect?

Are you looking for a newer minivan or an older one?

The Sienna will probably hold up the best since it's Toyota. DO NOT buy an Odyssey or a Chrysler minivan!

I'd stay clear of Honda.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: racer12306
How heavy is your loaded trailer?

Weight is around 2700 pounds. I am looking to buy used.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Transit Connect?

Are you looking for a newer minivan or an older one?

The Sienna will probably hold up the best since it's Toyota. DO NOT buy an Odyssey or a Chrysler minivan!

I was actually interested in a Chrysler for several reasons:
1. Lower purchase price
2. Cheaper to repair
3. 4 speed transmission has option to manually shift to 3rd to keep out of OD
4. 6 speed transmission has auto-stick feature

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd stay clear of Honda.
27.gif

Honda has no known problems with 6 speed auto in current generation 2011 to present. Some older models had this too.

Originally Posted By: panther427
The ford flex is half minivan half suv. I believe the na 3.5 v6 ones had a tow package

Yes - IIRC it will tow up to 4k lbs. You could also get the Ecoboost Flex that is a haul-butt people mover and can tow as well. You either love or hate the look though.

If you can find one of the Hyundai/Kia models they should come with the 100k powertrain warranty which would help remove any fears.

Last edited:
from my research it "appears" there are less issues with the latest dodge/chrysler transmission than the others. I think they released it in 2014 and newer models.

I know of one newer Odyssey that's been towing a ~3k popup trailer for many 1000's of miles with no problems so far.
I imagine any of them would be fine for a few trips a year.

Kia Sedona? 100000mile transmission warranty.

Can tow upto 3500lb if it has trailer brakes.

Originally Posted By: outoforder

you didn't say your budget so let me me the one outside the box:
conversion vans (chevy astro, savannah, etc etc)
probably you can buy them around $3-5k (unless you go for the luxury packages) in relatively good condition but they will be 10-15 years old.
i wonder if you can buy a regular chrysler minivan ( i think 2011 up with HD brakes)and apply (or have applied) the towing package (somebody please tell me if i said something stupid)?

I'm pretty sure that Dodge/Chrysler vans can tow 3500, but you should double check my memory on that one.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: outoforder

you didn't say your budget so let me me the one outside the box:
conversion vans (chevy astro, savannah, etc etc)
probably you can buy them around $3-5k (unless you go for the luxury packages) in relatively good condition but they will be 10-15 years old.
i wonder if you can buy a regular chrysler minivan ( i think 2011 up with HD brakes)and apply (or have applied) the towing package (somebody please tell me if i said something stupid)?

Funny you say that because I was looking at conversion vans the other day. I liked everything about them except for the backseat. I like how the minivan seats will fold into the floor to allow for easy loading of cargo and equipment.

I towed a 2500' pop-up with the infamously-ragged 41TE found in the chrysler minivans. I towed without the towing package, and just did regular fluid changes. Never had problems with it and the vehicle itself was a much more stable tow platform than the nissan pathfinder sitting next to it with 2x the supposed rating. You get to control the load on the AT with your right foot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back