Long commute, OCI and synthetic vs blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, new member here. These are my specs:

1. What kind of vehicle you have: 2014 Ford Focus (DCT; automatic)
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well: Motorcraft SAE 5w-20 WSS-M2C945–A*. Intervals notated are 7500-10000 miles for "normal" driving, 5000-7499m for "severe" use, and 3000-4999 for "extreme" use.
3. Where you live: Bay Area (ambient temps fluctuate from approximately 60F-105F)
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?): I don't push the engine too much, freeway driving is set to cruise control at 68-70mph unless it's stop and go traffic.
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?): On a regular day, commute is about 75 miles (90% freeway, 10% city streets). However, there are decent stretches of stop and go traffic.
6. Whether your car has any known problems: Occasional DCT shuddering (known DCT issue), worse in hot temperatures.

I'm probably around 8500 miles on my last change (synthetic blend), so I'll be doing a change soon. I was wondering whether it's worth upgrading to the Motorcraft synthetic instead of the synthetic blend as mentioned in the owner's manual. I think I would average around 300-400 miles driving per week. However, this number is subject to increase when I have to go off site (several times per month).

I don't intend on eclipsing 10k OCI as my manual says that should be the maximum. Current mileage on the car is around 33k and was purchased new.

I've done two Blackstone lab analyses (I did not do the analysis for the first oil change nor will I be doing the current upcoming oil change):

rbrnrwA.png
http://i.imgur.com/rbrnrwA.png

* (from above)

"Hot climate oil change intervals: Vehicles operating in the Middle
East, North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa or locations with similar climates
using an American Petroleum Institute (API) Certified for Gasoline
Engines (Certification mark) oil of SM or SN quality, the normal oil
change interval is 5000 miles (8000 kilometers).
If the available API “SM” or “SN” oils are not available, then the oil
change service interval is 3000 miles (4800 kilometers)."

Apparently, I am only allowed to use oils certified by API.

"The design of your engine allows for the use of Motorcraft engine oils or equivalent oils that
meet Ford specifications. It is also acceptable to use an engine oil of recommended viscosity
grade that meets API SN requirements and displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline
engines.

Do not use API S category oils labeled as SN, SM, SL or lower category unless the label also
displays the API certification mark. These oils do not meet the requirements of the engine and
emission system."

Your UOA of the last change looks fine. 10k miles on the Motorcraft oil looks to be no problem. I wouldn't change anything if staying within warranty requirements is your thing. No sense in spending more money if this oil gets you to the limit as it is.

You have one of those commutes where you could use a synth and do 15 or 20k miles on a change, though.

Last edited:
It looks to me like the Motorcraft synthetic blend is doing an awesome job for you. Just follow the oil life monitor with it, I see no reason to do otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Is there a reason not to follow the IOLM?

Looks like MC is doing the job.

From what I understand, the IOLM isn't actually "intelligent." It merely detects that you've driven a certain amount of mileage that can be preset and then warns you to change your oil at that point.

Originally Posted By: rebelx
Originally Posted By: Gene K
Is there a reason not to follow the IOLM?

Looks like MC is doing the job.

From what I understand, the IOLM isn't actually "intelligent." It merely detects that you've driven a certain amount of mileage that can be preset and then warns you to change your oil at that point.

Number of starts
Average load
Hours in operation
Hours of idle
Average RPM
Average Coolant temperature
Average Torque Output

...are just some of the parameters although with your drive cycle I suspect it will default to its 10,000 mi/ 1 year max.

At least that's how the F150 and Mustang work.

Last edited:
MC oils do a good job, but there are better option easily available. UOAs really are only good for identifying the condition of the oil. Like excessive fuel, dirt, or coolant contamination. IMO and others as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back