Camshaft Adjuster Bolts - Replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi @ll

What are you thoughts on this situation ...

some of the M48.02 engines came with Camshaft adjuster bolts made out of aluminium with steel core as reinforcement.

I read about bunch of failures online....

20160110_163735.jpg

Dealer does not offer bolts .. they sell whole new Camshaft Adjuster ... pre assembled with bolts ...

I'm thinking of matching some hardened steel bolts and replacing them one by one ... without removing camshaft adjustors ? There is pretty decent access.

PLUS - no need to for much disassembly .. only covers have to be removed.
PLUS - no need to for setting timing ( tools not required )

Minus - not sure how much torque is applied to those bolts ? Are there any problems with using breaker bar on those bolts ? like straining chain, trowing timing off ...

I know that there couple pro mechanics on forum .. but input from any one is welcomed !

ACCESS to Bolts with cover removed ( note that bolts are missing here )

Porsche-Cayenne-service-Abu-Dhabi-6.jpg

Last edited:
Porsche Cayenne, Panemera... thx

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Whats An m48.02 engine??? I have no clue

Based on the watermark in the bottom-right corner of the 2nd picture, I am going to guess it is a Porsche engine....
21.gif

...W....T....F?

You are going to Jerry rig a Porsche?

Those bolts are *not* made to be removed, (the tamper resistant center pin)

They are meant to be replaced as assemblies.

I would hit those bolts with a impact, they are probably one time use bolts.

The revised part no longer is "tamper resistant"
I think its part of the steel core reinforcement

I don't think that they would care to make it tamper resistant inside engine ...

I'm more concerned that new bolts may throw off the balance of the assembly ...

I might just go ahead and order timing tool set and replace them...
smile.gif

if the exact bolt is available but a normal steel one and a really high grade I would do it. I would also use permanent locktite though.

Originally Posted By: abycat
if the exact bolt is available but a normal steel one and a really high grade I would do it. I would also use permanent locktite though.

There is no exact bolt available from dealer ... but I would either custom order ( There are companies making stuff like this ) or match something...

My concern is, what happens if one ( or more) of the bolts snaps off while you are removing them. My understanding is that they break right where the steel core stops. You could end up with part of the bolt still threaded in. If the back the bolt falls in the engine , will you have to disassemble the head to get the piece out? Is there any chance this will be warranty covered if it breaks vs if it breaks with you removing it?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
My concern is, what happens if one ( or more) of the bolts snaps off while you are removing them. My understanding is that they break right where the steel core stops. You could end up with part of the bolt still threaded in. If the back the bolt falls in the engine , will you have to disassemble the head to get the piece out? Is there any chance this will be warranty covered if it breaks vs if it breaks with you removing it?

Not really concerned about it going in to engine, I can just protect it from happening...
Worst case scenario if it snaps I will replaced whole thing.

Thank's guys for valuable input !

You have any idea what the size of the bolts are ? Diameter, length, and thread pitch ?

For one thing, they're made to fit down into a counterbore, which rules out any hex bolts. They have a Torx tamperproof internal drive. I wonder why they're aluminum with a steel core....

Can you elaborate on type of failure that you are worried about? From your description, it looks like you are trying your best to purchase more headache rather than solving a potential problem.

There has to be a limit where you decide how you can do a better job than Porsche did in building that engine.

They might be torque to yield bolts, that would make them good for one use. That also means that if you were replacing the bolts, they would need the same TTY specification, and generic bolts would never match that specification.

I would much rather replace the cam phaser even if it is expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back