My CarQuest premium filter??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if someone can confirm who made my ATV filter. Hoping it's a good one and not the new lower quality Purolator made ones. Previous Car Quest filters I bought said Wix on the box. This one says only made in USA.

It's an 85358 blue label. Filter is black. On the end cap, in yellow lettering, is:

091715AB1 10:25
Product of USA

Also, if someone can give me suggestions on the best replacement of this filter for next years change, that'd be great. The Polaris filter is $13 and I don't have a clue who makes those.

welcome2.gif

That one is a Fram. The yellow dot lettering on top is a telltale sign of Frams made in Albion, IL. September 15, 2015.

The Fram CQ Blue is essentially an M1. Not identical, but very very close.

"091715AB1" is not the typical date code format used by Fram. But it's not to say that they could use a different format for the 'made for' filters.

Probably not a lot of movement on ATV filters, could be stock from 2 or 3 manufacturers ago. Good chance it's made by Wix actually.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Probably not a lot of movement on ATV filters, could be stock from 2 or 3 manufacturers ago. Good chance it's made by Wix actually.
the same filter is used in some cars.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

This particular filter is used on many cars, too, so less of a chance of it being old stock. The yellow date code is the format that Fram uses on M1 and many other Champs. Plus, the date code indicated September 2015. So it's not old or from 2 manufacturers ago. I think it crosses to Purolator's 14612 size. Nissan and Mazda use this size a lot.

Originally Posted By: MNfarmer33

If mine is the Fram is it the extra guard or tough guard?

Neither. The CQ filters use metal end caps, not cardboard.

The CQ Blue is most like M1. The CQ Red is like the old AC Delco Classic, pre-ecore.

So is the Fram tough guard a good filter or no? Just looking for a good quality filter that doesn't cost a fortune. Already paying $11 a quart for the oil. Hate to switch oils as great service in previous machine.

So is the Fram tough guard a good filter or no? Just looking for a good quality filter that doesn't cost a fortune. Already paying $11 a quart for the oil. Hate to switch oils as great service in previous machine.

Yes, the TG is an excellent filter.

The TG is okay but here's what I'd get. These are the same as the Ultra's without the grip paint. These are about 5 bucks a piece but you can get a 3 pack from the same seller for about 6 each.

Fram Pro Synthetic

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

That one is a Fram. The yellow dot lettering on top is a telltale sign of Frams made in Albion, IL. September 15, 2015.

What's an "M1"? I'm new to the various grades of oil filters.

welcome2.gif

M1 refers to Mobil1

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
welcome2.gif

M1 refers to Mobil1

It says it's rated 99.5 percent at 20 microns on the box. Premium filter keeps oil clean longer. If any of this is to be believed.

So you think the Fram ultra XG6607 is a better filter? I can actually get that a buck cheaper than the car quest premium was here with free shipping off amazon. Think I can order my oil off there too so that would save me a little money and give me a good quality filter.

It says it's rated 99.5 percent at 20 microns on the box. Premium filter keeps oil clean longer. If any of this is to be believed.

So you think the Fram ultra XG6607 is a better filter? I can actually get that a buck cheaper than the car quest premium was here with free shipping off amazon. Think I can order my oil off there too so that would save me a little money and give me a good quality filter.

The Ultra and M1 are really close, both good filters. But if you can get the Ultra cheaper and easier then looks more attractive.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The Ultra and M1 are really close, both good filters. But if you can get the Ultra cheaper and easier then looks more attractive.

Yes, they're comparable, but the Fram Ultra is usually 3/4 the price of the M1.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Does the ultra have metal end caps?

welcome2.gif

i thought jay king (aka motorking) explicitly said that the CQ Blues are not reboxed M1's, and that they have different filtering media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back