Best canned Mandarins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope it's ok to post a food item question here,I figure this forum gets way more traffic than the food subform. Here's my question. I LOVE Mandarin oranges. I always buy them fresh. My favorites are the ones called Halos. They're so good that they're addicting!! Problem is that they're always hard to find. It's a hit or miss if the stores here will have them,they always sell out really fast. I'll buy canned ones when the Halos are out of stock. Which canned Mandarins are the best and taste closest to fresh ones?

I thought it is Tangerines not Mandarins.

We have plenty of Halos and Cuties in So Cal, regular price is $5 3-lbs bag, and $7-8 5-lbs bag. My wife bought it on sale $3-4 5-lbs bag few time a month.

There is no canned Mandarins as good as fresh. All of them are too sweet.

You should look into a Satsuma tree. Very similar to Mandarin oranges and Tangerines. They are native to my climate so I'm sure they will do well in Texas. Don't get me wrong I'm not big into gardening but the time spent digging the hole to plant it is very much worth the years of fresh fruit they provide.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
You should look into a Satsuma tree. Very similar to Mandarin oranges and Tangerines. They are native to my climate so I'm sure they will do well in Texas. Don't get me wrong I'm not big into gardening but the time spent digging the hole to plant it is very much worth the years of fresh fruit they provide.

I don't think I've ever had a tangerine. How do they taste compared to Mandarins?

I work for the company that makes the machines that keep Halos and Cuties seedless. They put netting over the trees to keep the bees from cross-pollinating seeded varieties.

Most of the canned citrus I've seen comes from China.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: 3800Series

I don't think I've ever had a tangerine. How do they taste compared to Mandarins?

Pretty much the same thing, just the outer skin is a little different. I was looking up how Satumas do in Texas and they seem to do pretty well. Also ran across a post that said most canned Mandarin oranges are Satumas.

Only a few climates treat Satumas well and apparently they don't ship well so most are canned. In the end tho they are all virtually the same exact thing. If I was say down with all 3 I would be hard pressed to figure out which one is what.

Last edited:
Should you come to Europe someday, try the one from Corsica
smile.gif

(they are often full of seeds, but it's worth it)

China produces, and consumes more mandarin oranges than every other country combined. This is probably one instance where you shouldn't look at the can and say ewwwww.... Made in China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back