Good News About The Fram Ultras.. No Louvers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pm'ed Jay from fram and asked him if Fram was going to start using louvers and he got back to me saying they won't be going to louvers he said there is no technical benefit to doing so which in my opinion is a good thing!

Yay!
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
What's wrong with louvers?

Nothing, IF they are formed correctly. There have been some reports of ill formed louvers, or louvers not even opened up at all. If you plan on using filters with a louvered center tube, best to give it a good look to make sure the louvers are opened up a decent amount.

Absolutely nothing wrong with louvers as long as they are not installed on anything i own or service.. For around 90 years or so the oil holes on the center tube were round and pretty large now someone decided to change that.. If Motorcraft filters are going with those tiny louvers im not going to be using them. I will tell you Fram never looked so good!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I pm'ed Jay from fram and asked him if Fram was going to start using louvers and he got back to me saying they won't be going to louvers he said there is no technical benefit to doing so which in my opinion is a good thing!

I agree ... there is no technical benefit to changing to louvers. Properly formed louvers that are opened up like they should be are perfectly okay, but whether or not they are properly formed is the issue. I use Hastings and Baldwin filters, and each one I have used has had correctly formed louvers. But like I said above, there would be no good reason to change from a center tube with holes to a louvered design and then run the risk of the louvers not being opened up properly.

Hastings Engine Air Filter #AF1511

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L
Castrol GTX Conventional 5W-30
FRAM Tough Guard Oil Filter #TG3614
Motorcraft Engine Air Filter #FA-1890

What's wrong with louvers?

Nothing. I put no exceptions or exclusions on that because like any product, if not manufactured correctly, function could be compromised. And recently three virgin Nissan application filters were cut open and posted HERE, all from different manufacturers and all using a louvered design including the OEM. And somewhat ironically one is the high end M1 filter, now from the same company that makes the topic Ultra.
55.gif

Really all one needs to do is source the thread starter to understand lack of seriousness of the topic, ie., silly 'imo'. It's the same source that a few years back said " I Only Buy Filters Wrapped in Plastic Now."
lol.gif

Not wanting to sound like a wise guy to the nice guy but Both works fine??? And you know this how?? Can you tell when your filters go into bypass and if you can please let me know how you do that.. Those louvers are too small for say a 10w30 to easily get through at 5 degrees F. Actually use what you want we all have our own beliefs so who am i to argue.. Just because i have 35 plus years around engines does not make me know everything about everything engine related maybe im wrong..

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
It doesn't matter , both work fine.

You are correct sir, and thankfully the greatest majority of those frequenting this board well understand that. It's the less sophisticated that read here and need to be informed that anything to the contrary is nothing but hearsay and hysteria.

Why does anyone think that oil filters with louvers hasn't been proven in testing(if they do that sort of thing) that they perform up to snuff? I guess there has to be something here to debate, even if it's a non issue.

The point isn't they don't work when made as designed, they do. The point is they aren't making some of them right. So each one should be checked. This doesn't seem hard to grasp.

Why does anyone think that oil filters with louvers hasn't been proven in testing(if they do that sort of thing) that they perform up to snuff? I guess there has to be something here to debate, even if it's a non issue.

I don't think they haven't been proven. I think it's a matter of being consistantly manufactured properly. Out of three new filters I purchased, which had the same date code, only one had louvers that might perform as designed. The other two were unacceptable.

Unacceptable Louvers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back