Chevy 6.2 Silverado, Shaffer's or Mobile 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Crobinson16
Just because a oil meets or dosent meet spec, dosent mean it's a good or bad oil. I come here to read information and make my own decisions on what I read and peoples advice. I'm not up to all the oil specs terms and what not.
I feel that there are some oils that don't meet spec and are better than ones that do. I feel dexos is a certification used to meet emissions standards and let's something on the table that maby a non dexos oil still has, I don't care wether it meets spec or not of it is a better oil for application.

I didn't ask you about specifications, I'm not sure where that came from. But if I had an expensive truck like you have I'd want to know what the manufacturer requires. But maybe that's just me.

I'm not under any warranty coverage even though it's low mileage it's out on time. I'll admit I'm a over thicker but that's me. I just feel there is a better option than dexos approved oil.

Just because a oil meets or dosent meet spec, dosent mean it's a good or bad oil.

Actually, that (it meets the spec) does in fact mean it is a good oil for the applications that spec/approval is applicable. That's the primary reason the oil you mentioned, M1 0w-40 (and GC 0w-40 as well) is so well regarded, it has a laundry list of OEM approvals which guarantee an extremely good minimum level of performance.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Just because a oil meets or dosent meet spec, dosent mean it's a good or bad oil.

Actually, that (it meets the spec) does in fact mean it is a good oil for the applications that spec/approval is applicable. That's the primary reason the oil you mentioned, M1 0w-40 (and GC 0w-40 as well) is so well regarded, it has a laundry list of OEM approvals which guarantee an extremely good minimum level of performance.

" Guarantee an extremely good minimum level of performance" that's confusing to me lol?

Last edited:

" Guarantee an extremely good minimum level of performance" that's confusing to me lol?

Basically, the approvals guarantee, at the minimum, that the oil meets the performance specifications regarding wear, deposit control, life expectancy/TBN retention, viscosity.....etc for the various approvals that it has. An oil can do BETTER than what is required, but at bare minimum, you know it meets the limits. Some of these protocols are rather demanding (like Porsche A40, the new BMW LL-01 approval, the Mercedes and VW approvals, just to name a few) and so for an oil to meet them, even just guaranteeing that minimum level of performance means that the protection provided is exceptional.

Basically, the approvals guarantee, at the minimum, that the oil meets the performance specifications regarding wear, deposit control, life expectancy/TBN retention, viscosity.....etc for the various approvals that it has. An oil can do BETTER than what is required, but at bare minimum, you know it meets the limits. Some of these protocols are rather demanding (like Porsche A40, the new BMW LL-01 approval, the Mercedes and VW approvals, just to name a few) and so for an oil to meet them, even just guaranteeing that minimum level of performance means that the protection provided is exceptional.

I got it now, I just wasn't reading it that way. I guess that's what I'm saying if Mobil 1 fs 0w 40 or Schaeffer's advanced European or castrol German, do a better job or provide better protection, than a dexos oil, why not use it?

I got it now, I just wasn't reading it that way. I guess that's what I'm saying if Mobil 1 fs 0w 40 or Schaeffer's advanced European or castrol German, do a better job or provide better protection, than a dexos oil, why not use it?

What is your definition of better protection?

Just because a oil meets or dosent meet spec, dosent mean it's a good or bad oil. I come here to read information and make my own decisions on what I read and peoples advice. I'm not up to all the oil specs terms and what not.
I feel that there are some oils that don't meet spec and are better than ones that do. I feel dexos is a certification used to meet emissions standards and let's something on the table that maby a non dexos oil still has, I don't care wether it meets spec or not of it is a better oil for application.
DEXO isn't for emissions exactly.

They (the Euro oils) may meet more stringent specs, but if your engine doesn't require anything provided by those improvements, you are really providing yourself with no additional benefit. Don't get me wrong, it isn't going to hurt anything (and if you find yourself where it is -30C or colder, it will pump better and crank easier) but it isn't likely to help anything either if the benefits aren't realized in your particular application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back