MaxLife Semi Syn 5w-20 vs Castrol HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone out there answer why Valvoline MaxLife SemiSyn 5w-20 is Dexos approved while Castrol SemiSyn High Mileage 5w-20 is not? Do you think it's just a question of whether Castrol didn't want to go through the certification process and expense? Or, is there something about the Castrol that wouldn't allow it to get certified? Seems strange that both are semisynthetics, same weight and resource conserving and yet one is dexos approved and one isn't. Thanks for your help!

Just did not pay for it maybe?

I use both of them based on which ever is cheaper. Both are good.

My guess is that Castrol already pays for several more dexos certs than Valvoline does. They probably figured it wasn't worth it.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I heard Maxlife is rebottle Durablend. I don't know how true that is.

It's not. Just look at the pds for each.

The Castrol HM is one of my pet oils but it is thick for grade and as far as being a syn blend it appears to be on the low side for a blend as far as I can tell. Some of the Dexos oils are 50 percent or more. I'm guessing it wouldn't pass for one and for two would be money poorly spent for Castrol regarding that particular product as they have other competitive Dexos offerings like Magnatec.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Just did not pay for it maybe?

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
They probably figured it wasn't worth it.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
would be money poorly spent for Castrol

Do any of you have info on what it actually costs for dexos1 approval?

It was originally $1000 + $0.36 per gallon sold.

Shortly after introduction they changed to a flat $4000 fee due to refusal of many of the majors to license due to the ongoing cost.

Originally Posted By: dpaldino
Can anyone out there answer why Valvoline MaxLife SemiSyn 5w-20 is Dexos approved while Castrol SemiSyn High Mileage 5w-20 is not? Do you think it's just a question of whether Castrol didn't want to go through the certification process and expense? Or, is there something about the Castrol that wouldn't allow it to get certified? Seems strange that both are semisynthetics, same weight and resource conserving and yet one is dexos approved and one isn't. Thanks for your help!

It takes a GII+ and high level GIII to meet 13% Dexos NOACK in a 5W20 most likely. Motorcraft is 15%.

Thanks for the info, Gene. Some additional -

ahv8EO5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back