Done with Sandisk USB Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little info
For those metal samsungs I posted this is the 16GB version.
Plenty fast for some file copying.. use as a boot drive.. not so hot.
Tests performed on a z68 mobo with usb 3.0

I ran them several times .. similar results.

Samsung 16gb currently $6.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013CCPFAW/ref=twister_B0148N153A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I'm guessing the bigger drive would be faster writing due to parallelism.

samsungusb.JPG

An older(2yr old?)
16GB Adata s102pro which was a good value in usb3 sticks.
adata.JPG

For comparison my somewhat old 240GB intel 730 boot drive half full.
intel730ssd.JPG

Found some USB sticks today to avoid.
Sandisk ULTRA USB 3 in 32GB
2pk at bestbuy for 30$

SAYS ALL OVER IN GIANT LETTERS 100MB/s

Has a tiny number 2 next to it..
which goes to an invisible footer that says max read speed.

They were being used for Security DVR backup. A 5.5GB backup was taking 8 hours.

I speed tested one on my laptop and got write speeds between 1.2MB/s-5MB/s

Even those average samsung alum. case ones were hitting 13-23MB/s

AVOID:
https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/ultra-usb

crandisk.JPG

Yep all that and 1.5MB/s to 5MB/s

My 16 year old PNY attache 1GB drive will knock out a solid 3.5MB/s under same test.

PNY rocks. I have a 128 GB PNY USB stick and it's nice to have that much storage at a great price.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm guessing the bigger drive would be faster writing due to parallelism.

If they use the same controller and same NAND chips only.

A lot of the newer memories that uses TLC / 3 bit per cell are very slow, and the parallelism and new controller speed advantage is used up to compensate for the slowness.

Older MLC / 2 bit per cell chips are faster and easier to work with, and SLC / 1 bit per cell chips are of course super fast relatively speaking.

Personally if I want speed I'd buy an old inventory SLC flash drive (usually "professional" drive from Lexar or SanDisk Extreme) of smaller volume. Look for description that says lots of duty cycle or super high performance, etc. Heck, even used SLC cards will be more reliable than new TLC cards, by 100x in duty cycle.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Personally if I want speed I'd buy an old inventory SLC flash drive (usually "professional" drive from Lexar or SanDisk Extreme)

Yup. The Extreme USB drives handle small files quite well (in comparison to other USB flash drives). I'm using one as a portable Ubuntu OS drive.

CDM502_Sandisk_Extreme_32GB_FAT32_1000MB_USB3.0.png

so I picked up some sandisk POP drives 16gb

they were 2.49$ each so I didnt expect too much..

seems plenty fast for basic use... at that price.
They are usb 2.0 drives.
The first thing to do is format them and remove the garbage software that comes on them.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: wwillson
I have a couple of these 240GB USB drives that have had terabytes written to them without a single problem.

http://www.poweredbymushkin.com/catalog/33-ventura-ultra

Holy mackerel. Two hundred and forty gigabytes! I guess it's basically an SSD in a USB-stick body.

Remember when 4GB on a DVD was considered massive?

How long ago were terabytes science fiction...

In 1997 I paid almost 400$ for an 8GB hdd(from WVCCSI.com) which was fairly massive at that time.. similar to a 6TB drive today..

So basically drives have gotten 1000x bigger in less than 20 years.

I use the metal body Kingston 32GB on my keychain. It goes with me everywhere and I've never once had an issue with it. It also won't ever break like the cheap plastic ones always do (especially when used on a keychain)

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Still bitter about getting one of the bad batch SSDs that SanDisk put out this year. I'm fluent in Indian now.

Can you elaborate on this please? It's the first I heard of it.

I just bought two SanDisk SSD Plus drives for my parents' computers that I'm installing tomorrow...

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I use the metal body Kingston 32GB on my keychain. It goes with me everywhere and I've never once had an issue with it. It also won't ever break like the cheap plastic ones always do (especially when used on a keychain)

I have one of those on my keychain as well. It died on my sometime last year. Computer wouldn't recognize it. To their credit, I contacted Kingston and they sent me a warranty replacement. I don't keep any important data on it, just temporary file transfers, so it wasn't a big deal to me. I won't trust anything critical to a USB flash drive, especially one that gets knocked around on my keychain.

Originally Posted By: Rand
The 16GB for comparison
samsungusb.JPG

That's a pretty good performance, considering its price, if these numbers hold up in real world use. The reason I say 'if' is that I found CrystalDiskMark exagerrating speeds on some drives. I recently picked up a 16GB Transcend JetFlash 710S. Realistically, write speed on large files in Windows7 is about 12-13 MB/s, but if you looked at CDM test results, you would have thought it's much faster.

CDM512_Transcend_JetFlash_710S_16GB_FAT32_1000MB_USB3.0.png

ATTO disk bench seems to be more accurate:
ATTO_Transcend_JetFlash_710S_16GB_FAT32_USB3.0.png

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Trying to recover data now.. UGH. Yes, I have backups but they are not the most recent...

The microSD card in my phone died recently, went to RAW mode and could not be re-partitioned to FAT/FAT32. It was a Samsung 32 GB EVO. I was able to at least recover my photos using that EaseUS software (Testdisk didn't work). But if you still need to recover data, give that tool a try.

I also have one of the Samsung 850 SSDs in my desktop PC.. hope that one holds up as it is one of the top selling SSDs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR20DE

The microSD card in my phone died recently, went to RAW mode and could not be re-partitioned to FAT/FAT32. It was a Samsung 32 GB EVO. I was able to at least recover my photos using that EaseUS software (Testdisk didn't work). But if you still need to recover data, give that tool a try.

I also have one of the Samsung 850 SSDs in my desktop PC.. hope that one holds up as it is one of the top selling SSDs.

Samsung's VNAND / 3D NAND is made with a larger cell despite being cheaper than Toshiba's 2D NAND at smaller cell, while still being cheaper. In flash memory bigger means more reliable but more expensive, so at least at the moment Samsung is ahead of everyone else in reliability and speed and I was told they have an almost 2 year lead ahead of SanDisk / Toshiba, with Intel / Micron being a 3rd. Hynix is so far behind they might not be able to catch up.

Samsung knows that too, and they are not selling VNAND to anyone else making SSD. They are charging a premium on it and making a killing on the 850 series SSD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Samsung's VNAND / 3D NAND is made with a larger cell despite being cheaper than Toshiba's 2D NAND at smaller cell, while still being cheaper. In flash memory bigger means more reliable but more expensive...

Thanks for the insight. Makes me feel a little better about having the 850 despite the SD card going.

Originally Posted By: Rand
This is the same model of samsung with the Cast metal housing but 64GB vs 16GB in the earlier benchmark

$17.99
samsung64GB.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Flash-Dri...+64gb+usb+stick

I am growing more and more skeptical of CrystalDiskMark test results. I picked up the same 64GB drive recently, and on the first test I got similar results to yours, but on subsequent tests the write speed particularly was a lot lower. Try it with 5 tests, 1GB file size. The actual real life Win7 write speed is even lower. From what I've read, it starts out fast, but within a few seconds it gets throttled down in order to prevent the drive from overheating. But for $16, I guess you can't expect a ton...

Initial test:
CDM_512_Samsung_USB_Flash_Drive_64GB_FAT32_initial.png

Subsequent test:
CDM_512_Samsung_USB_Flash_Drive_64GB_FAT32.png

Windows7 write speed:
CDM_512_Samsung_USB_Flash_Drive_64GB_FAT32_win7_write.png

I've noticed the same recently.
Esp with the cheaper flash drives.

I might have to switch it up.

This Lexar S75 64GB drive is $14.99. The below CDM results are repeatable, no matter how many times you run the test. Sustainable write speed in Win7 is almost double that of the Samsung. But physically the Lexar just does not look as cool and feels a little flimsy.
smile.gif

CDM_512_Lexar_JumpDrive_S75_USB_Flash_Drive_64GB_FAT32.png

CDM_512_Lexar_JumpDrive_S75_USB_Flash_Drive_64GB_FAT32_win7_write.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back