Car&Driver opinion on Toyota weird styling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Looking just as extreme as any of the C-HR concept cars that previewed it, the production C-HR will attempt to snatch contrarian customers from the Nissan Juke and Kia Soul, seemingly by out-weirding them in the looks department. But in the C-HR, how deep does weird run? Were the interior designers smoking the same stuff as the exterior designers?

Quote:
Happily, the cabin appears to offer a retinal reprieve from the tortured bodywork. While most of the interior panels and trim pieces visible in these images are expressively styled, the aesthetic is more BMW i3 than lunar rover. The dashboard consists of multiple horizontal design elements, each highly three-dimensional, and the infotainment screen stands proudly atop the dash in a trapezoidal frame. Perhaps the most interesting item is the ribbon-like blue trim, which appears to have been draped from the middle of one door across the dashboard to the other door.

Given the exterior’s insane styling, we expected more interesting designs for the steering wheel and the gauge cluster, but those are small nits to pick.

2016-Toyota-C-HR-110-876x535.jpg

2016-Toyota-C-HR-114-876x535.jpg

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-toyota-c-hr-interior-does-the-craziness-continue-inside/

I had a new BMW x5 as a courtesy car this year, the interior dash features are almost identical, blue light highlites

It wasnt winning me overy quickly so maybe with time I would warm to that design trick.

The interior isn't bad. Looks like a RAV4 and a Murano had a child. That is bad, although it isn't horrible. Now the person who designed the Prius inside and out, THEY are smoking the same things.

I'm generally not a Toyota fan, but I like that one. Not a fan of the display protruding from the top of the dash.

I don't like it at all, not from the outside and not from the inside.
I also don't like - and never liked the Nissan Juke.
Same story on the Lexus RX or NX, too much design going on.

There's just too much going on, to much curves....

I prefer my automobile to look more classical, more timeless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: exranger06
The exterior doesn't look bad at all, although everything from the rear doors back is a total Nissan Juke ripoff.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Looks good, too bad they compared it to a Nissan, which has made some of the ugliest car ever IMO.

Originally Posted By: alex_at
I don't like it at all, not from the outside and not from the inside.
I also don't like - and never liked the Nissan Juke.
Same story on the Lexus RX or NX, too much design going on.

There's just too much going on, to much curves....

I prefer my automobile to look more classical, more timeless.

One of the better Toyota exterior stylings was 1982 Supra.

I saw few of them in So Cal, not red-on-black, the paint condition is a little rough after 30 years, but it still is a good looking car.

1982_Toyota_Supra_resize.jpg

A lot of crossovers/cars are starting to take that basic shape. I don't find it aesthetically pleasing, but that general shape probably does produce the best aerodynamics for a crossover/hatch bodied vehicle.

I think the C-HR interior looks nice except for the mega screen.

I dont mind the exterior. The interior of this looks as stupid as the current model corolla. Faux stitching, five different color LCD screens, and a big vertical expanse just below eye level on the passenger side.

Probably a decent ride though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back