Tacoma Extended OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm at 50,000 miles on my Tacoma now, and am probably going to be doing an oil change this weekend. I've been doing them on the recommended 5,000 mile OCI per the manual. I've always wanted to extend this to 10,000 miles or 1 year, but I don't know why only my specific engine hasn't been approved by Toyota for this OCI.

Per this link -

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7604/~/what-are-the-oil-change-intervals-using-synthetic-oil%3F

"Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE and 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)"

"*The 2TR-FE (4Runner / Tacoma) and the 3UR-FBE (Flex Fuel Tundra / Sequoia) are the exceptions to this new change interval program; these engines have not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time. A 5,000-mile/6-month oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. Also, the Flex Fuel 3UR-FBE requires a 2,500 mile interval when operated on E85."

Does anyone know if there is a good reason why my engine hasn't been approved for this?

My Tacoma is the 4 cylinder 2TR-FE. Since I am out of warranty now would it be ok to extend the OCI since the engine requires 0w20 anyways? I usually use TGMO 0w20 or M1 AFE 0w20 and an OEM filter.

Thanks,

to be honest i would think it has to do with the duty that the engines are expected to see.

being that the engines are designed for use in towing/trucking/hauling platforms they expect a certain amount of severe duty inherently and as a catch-all might've kept the OCI low (5,000 isnt low by any stretch)

If you're using a top tier synthetic, and a top tier oil filter designed for extended OCI, i would have no problem going 75000-8000. 10k mile OCI is pushing it for any vehicle tho, in my earnest opinion especially those that burn oil too much time can lapse and lead to burning up a motor if its not inspected regularly.

That prob has a lot more to do with it. Perhaps toyota expects those engines to burn some oil and keeps the OCI low so that it MUST have a set of eyes on it at least twice a year, or more.

Like i said, if you're doing long trips and extended mileage, not short stop and go stuff then you should be able to get away with a 7,500 mile OCI but i doubt you'll want to leave it in for 1 whole year... 2 oil changes a year isnt bad by any stretch.

If the engine burns oil, I would actually be more OK with a longer OCI provided that it is kept topped off. The addition of fresh oil in the middle of the OCI will replenish the TBN and additives and allow for a longer interval before a complete oil change is required. Of course, that requires you to keep a close eye on it and top off as needed.

I know all engines burn oil, but to my untrained eye I don't notice any change on the dip stick between my 5,000 mile oil changes. So I would guess every 5,000 miles my engine probably burns 1/2 quart or less? I haven't ever had to add any oil between oil changes yet. I just fill it with 6.1 quarts as recommended and it looks to be in about the same spot on the dip stick right before I change it.

I've been doing 10K OCIs with various M1 oils for 38 years in engines often calling for 3-5K OCIs. I have never had an engine that showed signs of engine wear for the last 38 years. Some engines with well over 300K. Just my story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back