Amsoil announces 6% price hike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw on their site today that prices will be going up 6% as of August 1. They cited higher costs for base oils in the last 6 months, as well as additives and production costs for the last 5 years.

Seems like another of the many changes in the company since the Founder retired.

I was already on the fence and now I'm past it. Amsoil is very good oil but with them having scaled back to non synthetic bases for the lower tiers (insert discussion about how Group III is just as good as synthetic bases nowadays) and charging more for their products, I'm glad I've made the move to Schaeffer Oil.

(I did buy a case of filters for the F150 though, THAT quality and price hasn't changed)

Last edited:
I believe that for many people such as yourself, "on the fence", the decision will be the same. Amsoil is a great product but we know there are many other excellent choices. Being a niche' product, I would guess that market fluctuations affect them more than the major brands. I wonder how Royal Purple will react, if at all.

When was the last time they increased prices? If it was 2+ years ago then a 6% increase does not seem unreasonable.

I still plan on using their gear oils for the diffs in my Suburban. I guess I will just have to place my order before August 1!

Last edited:
I like to use the best products for my car that I can afford, and I've never heard anything but praise for their products, but I've never seen my way clear to pay >$11.00 for a quart of oil, so they haven't lost me as a customer with this price hike.

My vehicles seem to be thriving on $5 quarts of highly refined group IIVs from Mobil, Pennzoil or Valvoline, depending on what sales or website mistakes I stumble across.

Unfortunate--especially since oil prices are still lower than they were two years ago and the Amsoil prices were not lowered when the price of oil dropped. I use them for UOAs, gear oil, and transmission fluid. Guess I need to place an order before it goes up and my preferred membership expires.

To those concerened about " pocket change" Re-configure your cable tv package to reduce expense so you can buy some good oil for a change
smile.gif
Or skip that DD coffee run altogether and save some real cash.

For me, this news is like a tree falling in the forest with no one to hear it.

I never see Amsoil at retail so I don't keep up with their pricing.

I did notice Castrol Magnatec was down to $17.XX/5 quarts at Walmart the other night. Pennzoil Ultra and Castrol Edge were $22.XX there too.

Now that, coupled with $2.84 Super Tech filters, is something to get excited about.

I used it and have no issue with the company-product-service.
But to be honest unless I had a third party lab test it I have to agree with kschachn.
Unlike yesteryear there are so many great oils on the market and junk oil and Top tier oil are
within pennies of each other. I think the days of Amsoil being something special are gone.
Just my 2 cents.

I go for just their ATF and gear oil. The motor oil is from Walmart.

Diesel pickups take 12 to 15 QTs. Buying Amsoil at even current prices makes for expensive oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I go for just their ATF and gear oil. The motor oil is from Walmart.

Diesel pickups take 12 to 15 QTs. Buying Amsoil at even current prices makes for expensive oil changes.

How so?

I will always use Amsoil's gear oil. Looking through uoas,Severe Gear always has the least amount of wear metals.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
To those concerened about " pocket change" Re-configure your cable tv package to reduce expense so you can buy some good oil for a change
smile.gif
Or skip that DD coffee run altogether and save some real cash.

I can buy XOM, Sopus, and a few other others and have some good oil for an oil change and not have to mess with the TV packages or the morning Joe.
wink.gif
Shop wisely grasshopper.

to be honest because of the way amsoil is MLM or nearly pyramid scheme, it precludes me from ever purchasing it again.

Meanwhile, with the global shift in supply of oil, petroleum prices everywhere are falling, yet only amsoil is paying higher costs? (doubtful, they're reeling from the oil and gas downturn just like everyone else and passing the buck to the customer)

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I will always use Amsoil's gear oil. Looking through uoas,Severe Gear always has the least amount of wear metals.

They are the best, since we don't change gear fluid very often, their price may be few dollar more doesn't effect anyone pocket much.

Originally Posted By: TexasTea
to be honest because of the way amsoil is MLM or nearly pyramid scheme, it precludes me from ever purchasing it again.

Meanwhile, with the global shift in supply of oil, petroleum prices everywhere are falling, yet only amsoil is paying higher costs? (doubtful, they're reeling from the oil and gas downturn just like everyone else and passing the buck to the customer)

I don't need a boutique oil that isn't any better than the top end stuff I can get at Wal-Mart or Advance Auto. I also do not like the MLM scheme that they run.

After going 5 years with NO price increase, I think its admirable they held on this long without increasing prices. Cars, homes, bread, milk, other oil company lubes, nearly everything you buy has had price increases if not yearly, every other year. Their Corp. team has done a great job of keeping costs down.
I find it sad that some people keep referring to their marketing as 'pyramid' and use of the word 'scheme' which implies something illegal. MLM is NOT a pyramid (which is illegal) and MLM is perfectly legal in all 50 states. If you dont like it, dont buy it but at least AMSOIL lets you buy as a PC - wholesale. Can you buy other lubes at wholesale? Nothing wrong with that either is there?
FYI they have a locator and their products are found on retail shelves in cities all around the country but NEVER in big box stores.

So I was in Walmart yesterday and I couldn't help but notice all the oils on sale...Mobil 1, PP, Valvoline and Castrol...don't think I've ever seen that before. And I said...wow, these are some good deals. Remind me never to say something like that again...

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Donald
I go for just their ATF and gear oil. The motor oil is from Walmart.Diesel pickups take 12 to 15 QTs. Buying Amsoil at even current prices makes for expensive oil changes.
How so?
Think he means he buys his motor oil at WM, not that Amsoil is sold there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back