new restriction gauge results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
$32 for a filter minder? I get mine for free from GM trucks at the junkyard. Forget that nonsense.

You didn't pay for it ? Just remove a part from a salvage yard and walk out ?

Just remove a part from a salvage yard, bring it up to the front with the rest of my stuff, they decline to charge for them, and then I walk out.
thumbsup2.gif

So if I did my math right it has been 20k miles and the restriction gauge is showing 11" of water. Looks like a good time to replace it. Wouldn't have guessed it was due on looks alone.

Will probably get a pure one this go-round and see what happens.

Top (clean) side:

Bottom (dirty) side:

How much restriction was there when the filter was new?
I have the same gauge and with 32k miles on the filter it's still between 8 and 11"
I got the gauge when the filter had ~20k miles so I don't know what the reading would be with a new filter.

Mine read zero for a short time, then quickly came up to 8. It hung out at 8 for better than half of the 20k miles.

I don't lean on it very often, and I'm guessing the higher reading came after getting after it to get up to 60-65 mph with my 7,000 lbs camper in tow. But even at that it wasn't full throttle and it shifted out of first at 5,000 rpm.

Last edited:
So now that your at 11" have you seen a decrease in mpg. Don't forget you only get that restriction at WOT near redline. At anything less than WOT it won't get to 11" and how often do you run WOT?

I change mine out at 15" and I have not found that I lose any gas mileage in my vehicles exept my S2000. I do run my S up to redline to often, but it is fun.

ROD

Sorry, I missed your post.

I never run to redline and I never put the pedal to the floor. Never need to, has more than enough power.

Mileage? It's an expedition.

Best ever is 17.8. Worst ever is 8.5
Usually I'm in the 13s and 14s

When you go for a drive and everything is up to temp. just step on it getting on the freeway or climbing a steep hill. You don't have to drive fast, you just want to see if the engine can get enough air if it needed it. If you don't want to take it to red line go 3/4 the way to red line with a WOT, that will still get you a better reading than just light footing it. If you have 11" or 15" at low throttle input and for what ever reason you go WOT you could collapse the air filter when the engine wants more air than a dirty air filter can flow.

I can reset my gauge and not get it to move even though I have over 75k miles on this filter if I don't step on it to hard. That is why you have to put the motor under load(like WOT) to see just how much restriction the air filter is generating.

ROD

I think that's how I got it up to 11". I was pulling the camper and I hit it about 3/4 or 7/8 throttle on an interstate on ramp.

It shifted about 5,000 rpm and I hit the interstate at about 62mph. This is why I say I never go WOT. There is simply never a need. Even with nearly 7,000 lbs behind me, i can still merge at 60+ on an uphill interstate ramp.

I reset the gauge today, so ill see what it does pussyfooting around town tomorrow.

Maybe on Monday ill try to give'er the goose again.

$32 for a filter minder? I get mine for free from GM trucks at the junkyard. Forget that nonsense.

You didn't pay for it ? Just remove a part from a salvage yard and walk out ?

Just remove a part from a salvage yard, bring it up to the front with the rest of my stuff, they decline to charge for them, and then I walk out.
thumbsup2.gif

I wish we have some yards like yours.

Some years ago I went to local yard to get some parts for LS400, they charged 2 small heaters $3-4 each. They charged everything in the bag I had with me at that time. They even charged admission fee of $2 per person.

Probably because the land the yard sits on is too expensive, and environmental cost is so high they need to cover those fixed costs with fees and things.

Well, as expected tooling around all day showed next to nothing on the restriction gauge. Of course it never saw more than 2500 rpm, so thats not real surprising.

I did get a new FRAM extra guard air filter at WalMart though. For $10.50 its hard to beat. UOA confirms that it I working well enough, so I'm fine using one. Just wish they made a tough guard for my truck.

I'll change it tomorrow night after leaning on it once tomorrow to see what it reads again after resetting.

Not in a huge hurry since it only gets better with age
smile.gif

so, yesterday I ran it up to about 4500 rpm and checked the restriction.
came in at about 8" restriction

today I gave'er the full onion and passed a guy on the 2-lane. I kept my foot into it until I was fully around him and spun it up a tick over 5,000 rpm in 2nd gear.
checked the gauge this morning and it is back up to 11" restriction.

the bad part about doing this is I was going 85 in a 65.

I doubt "I was checking my air filter restriction" would have been an acceptable excuse
smile.gif

You can go 85 mph in 2nd gear? And in a truck too. That has to be one long greared truck, whats the rpm going down the road at 65 mph in high gear? Should be good on gas when M/T.

ROD

3.73 gears with 265/70r17 tires.
1.55:1 second gear

80mph is about 5,000 rpm
85 mph is about 5,400 rpm

Thats why it never sees full throttle and high rpm. It shifts into second before I can get into the gas to make it rev in first. Shifts too early in all gears. Under light throttle I'm in overdrive between 35 and 40 mph and it just rides the converter until I'm up to whatever speed I want to go.

65mph in OD is about 1800 rpm
At 80 in OD is about 2300 rpm

If I could get it to use 1st gear, it would wind out to 45mph before a shift at full throttle.

I wish we have some yards like yours.

Some years ago I went to local yard to get some parts for LS400, they charged 2 small heaters $3-4 each. They charged everything in the bag I had with me at that time. They even charged admission fee of $2 per person.

Probably because the land the yard sits on is too expensive, and environmental cost is so high they need to cover those fixed costs with fees and things.

This one else is owned by LKQ now. When it was still privately owned, the prices and nickeling were ridiculous. People stopped coming completely. I used to go there on the weekend and nobody was there.

LKQ decided to play things smarter.

This place does their own auto recycling on-site with a big shredder in the back, so they are cleaning up whether or not they sell the parts anyway.

This one else is owned by LKQ now. When it was still privately owned, the prices and nickeling were ridiculous. People stopped coming completely. I used to go there on the weekend and nobody was there.

LKQ decided to play things smarter.

This place does their own auto recycling on-site with a big shredder in the back, so they are cleaning up whether or not they sell the parts anyway.

You're lucky to have a good yard nearby take advantage of it while you can, because it may not lasted forever when someone else bought it or a new manager may change the fees and price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back