How often should I change my oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FORD BA XR6 Turbo sedan, 141,000kms(115.000miles).

Ford set service intervals at 15,000kms (9000 miles) BTW.

I live in the country and most drives are 50-500kms at 100km/h on bitumen(paved) roads.

The temp here is mild to hot (32*F at a minimum, and 120*F at a max).

I will be using Penrite 10-Tenths Racing 10W-40 for my next oil, and a Royal Purple oil filter.

Should I keep the service intervals at 10,000kms (what I have been doing), or change back to 15,000kms?

10,000km works...

15,000 will almost certainly work as well.

Ford specced 15W40, and presumably dino for those 15,000km OCIs, so pick a weekend that suits you in the middle of those two.

In my unscientific overly cautious recommendation, change the oil somewhere between medium brown and dark brown on the dipstick. Never let it go black!

Fly by the seat of your pants. I write OCI on my windshield sticker. I never abide by them. If I sense anything is off- I change it. I suspect most here do that as well.

Perhaps read my signature. Until and unless you perform a used oil analysis, your oil's condition is complete speculation.

However after saying that (and seeing numerous UOAs) I'm fairly certain your oil will be fine at the 10k interval.

Last edited:
Anyone done a UOA on Penrite before? I tried their semi-syn 5W40 a few years ago & wasn't impressed.

My work mate had a BA XR6T & we ran Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40 in it. Changed it every 15K. Was very smooth. The more common option round here would be M1 0W40. Either one will be far better than Penrite IMO.

Originally Posted By: SXE10
Anyone done a UOA on Penrite before? I tried their semi-syn 5W40 a few years ago & wasn't impressed.

My work mate had a BA XR6T & we ran Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40 in it. Changed it every 15K. Was very smooth. The more common option round here would be M1 0W40. Either one will be far better than Penrite IMO.

Motul is very expensive, at least the prices I've seen. But if it works, why not?

Given that I've "ranted" about Penrite before, all I have to say is I think the market claims made, including MFG approvals, need to be taken with a grain of salt.

These Ford I6's (especially BA and newer) are tough-as-nails, run 10w40 or 15w40 at the recommended interval with complete confidence, especially on the long highway runs you're doing. If you'd prefer to stretch out the interval to the 15K km mark, then maybe a Diesel oil (with Petrol specification) could be the ticket, otherwise a 10w40 (semi-synthetic) could work too...

I would personally lean towards Diesel oil because it should stand up to the Turbo better (perhaps) than a semi-synth 10w40.

Thanks for the replies.

I will keep it at 10,000kms but wont feel too worried if I let one slip out to 12,000kms.

smile.gif

Cheers

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Fly by the seat of your pants. I write OCI on my windshield sticker. I never abide by them. If I sense anything is off- I change it. I suspect most here do that as well.

Are you for Real ?

Or is this for Humor and Off Topic Forum ??

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

Only you and Merk.

Seeing as UOA's are now being posted, here's mined from January:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3997148/

TBN on 7 after 5,442km of mostly highway running, dropped from the quoted cSt of 18 at 100ºC to 16.07, which based on *some* charts on the internet, puts it right on the verge of being a -40 at 100ºC.
Blackstone however, has that lower-limit at about 12.2cSt at 100º for a -50 oil, with the maximum value of 16.3cSt at 100º.

More experienced BITOG'ers may well have to bash some sense into me, but this drop seemed fishy for an oil that supposedly has A3/B4 approval in addition to BMW and other manufacturers.
It may be because the charts I have found do not include the -60 oils, and therefore there are "very thick" and "very thin" oils in that -50 weight category.

Originally Posted By: SR5

Look at the TBN (6.8), there is a lot of life left in the oil.

What is the TBN?
Total base number?

And what is the normal range for other oils?

Last edited:
10,000km intervals are nice and easy to remember. But given your usage, and assuming the Barra isn't modified or running extra boost, 15,000km oil changes would be fine too.

Originally Posted By: hpb
But given your usage, and assuming the Barra isn't modified or running extra boost, 15,000km oil changes would be fine too.

Yep stock engine ATM.

I do about 25-30,000kms a year, if that makes any diff?

Originally Posted By: Greatwhite7

Look at the TBN (6.8), there is a lot of life left in the oil.

What is the TBN?
Total base number?

And what is the normal range for other oils?

Yeah, TBN is total base number and is a measure of the alkaline additive in the oil that is present to neutralise any acids that form.

A typical Euro A3/B4 long life oil has a TBN of 10 or more. Once it is down to say 1, then the oil should be changed.

There is big debate on when the TBN is "spent", and different oils have different starting TBN's, but you get the general idea. I don't think anybody would have a problem with a TBN of 6.8 at 10,000KM. In fact here is a VOA (virgin oil analysis) from Sinclair Dino 5W-30 by PQIA and it's starting TBN is about 6.9
Sinclair 5W30 VOA

The other thing that often happens with an oil is that it shears out of grade, but given Penrite 10-Tenths is 100% PAO & Ester and is designed to be fully shear stable under racing conditions, then that's not a problem for you.

Ford says to change the oil every 15,000KM (and they were saying this distance assuming a lesser oil than Penrite 10-Tenths)
You do long hot drives in the country (50km to 500km at 0C to 50C ouch!)
You do 30,000KM per year.

Change it with Penrite 10-Tenths twice a year and be done with it.

A typical Euro A3/B4 long life oil has a TBN of 10 or more. Once it is down to say 1, then the oil should be changed.

Ford says to change the oil every 15,000KM (and they were saying this distance assuming a lesser oil than Penrite 10-Tenths)
You do long hot drives in the country (50km to 500km at 0C to 50C ouch!)
You do 30,000KM per year.

Change it with Penrite 10-Tenths twice a year and be done with it.

Some interesting info about oil. Something I never thought I would care too much about.
smile.gif

I dont think it hit 50*C this year, only about 48*C. But throw in a dirt road or two, and things get messy.

Emailed a couple of places about getting an oil analysis done, but am yet to hear back.
Still about 2 months until I change over to the 10 tenths, so wont have any feedback for a little bit.

Thanks for the help. Good to know this information I recon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back