Dealer says 07 Highlander has strainer. Nope!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to get trans filter from Toyota for my moms 07 Highlander. Dealer says "we never change those, its a washable strainer.". What a crock. I ordered a new OEM Toyota one online and it was, of course, a non-washable standard, replaceable trans filter. They push these flushes so hard now they lie about it even having a trans filter. I guess they never clean magnets in bottom of pan either? Another reason to DIY.

All of my Toyotas had strainers in there from the factory. 2004 - 2016. You can replace them with a filter or just clean the strainer. But for all 4 of my 2GR-FE V6 models...never cleaned just flush with the cooler line every 50k. They run fine until traded at 200k. I am doing my 2011 ES350 this weekend. Never drop a trans pan on a Toyota if you do the cooler line.

Last edited:
If it's got a removable pan, I can't see not dropping it at least once in the ATs life to remove the pile of crud in the pan and on the catch magnet.

Originally Posted By: Doog
All of my Toyotas had strainers in there from the factory. 2004 - 2016. You can replace them with a filter or just clean the strainer. But for all 4 of my 2GR-FE V6 models...never cleaned just flush with the cooler line every 50k. They run fine until traded at 200k. I am doing my 2011 ES350 this weekend. Never drop a trans pan on a Toyota if you do the cooler line.

The OEM factory replacement is a filter. It is totally not cleanable. We'll see what comes out when I drop the pan this weekend. Having trash in the filter can't be a good thing. Again, we'll see.

Toyota usually wont change out filters just drain and fills. I have never bothered changing the filter either, so far no issues.

i'm surprised it has a filter. Aisin transmissions I've known have all been a strainer. That tends to get them all to 100k, but after that it seems to vary in how they age depending on the vehicle it's mated to.

I took filter out today, it's a Filtran brand filter, just like the OEM replacement that I bought. It is not cleanable under any circumstances. I put the new one in with no major hiccups. Had to raise tranny unit off the frame a little to get enough clearance to get to some of the pan bolts. Magnets were nearly completely clean. Not bad for 164k miles. All the parts diagrams refer to it as a strainer, but it is not.

http://www.filtranllc.com/home/index.asp

Last edited:
Probably an honest mistake by a naive advisor. They could make more doing a complete service versus a quickie flush job.

They don't stock the filters. That's how insane it is. They do the flushes and charge the same as pan/filter. However, upon examination of Toyota maintenance recommendations, even for this Highlander they don't mandate a filter change. There's also a sticker on the dipstick that advises no fluid change is necessary. I obviously didn't buy into any of that. It was a bear, but the thing runs great and I can sleep soundly knowing the tranny has a clean tranny filter and clean magnets in the bottom of the pan. I don't buy into this lifetime tranny fluid stuff.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
.....I can sleep soundly knowing the tranny has a clean tranny filter and clean magnets in the bottom of the pan.

This ^^^^

I've made it my mantra to do something myself because I KNOW it will be done right!!

Went to get trans filter from Toyota for my moms 07 Highlander. Dealer says "we never change those, its a washable strainer.". What a crock. I ordered a new OEM Toyota one online and it was, of course, a non-washable standard, replaceable trans filter. They push these flushes so hard now they lie about it even having a trans filter. I guess they never clean magnets in bottom of pan either? Another reason to DIY.

It doesn't look something like this? That opening at the bottom has a metal strainer in it, at least every factory Toyota one I've seen does. They also have magnets in the pan. I've never seen one that doesn't.

How is it a crock? I've gotten over 350,000 miles out of mine, I can't believe it makes much of a difference if it's that strainer or something else. When they say cleanable, I think that just means scraping anything off that screen. But to be honest I've never seen anything on mine so I think your dealer is correct, unless your transmission is different.

-font-b-FILTER-b-font-TRANSMISION-AUTO-MATICA-OEM-35330-52010-for-font-b-Toyota.jpg

Originally Posted By: kschachn

It doesn't look something like this? That opening at the bottom has a metal strainer in it, at least every factory Toyota one I've seen does. They also have magnets in the pan. I've never seen one that doesn't.

How is it a crock? I've gotten over 350,000 miles out of mine, I can't believe it makes much of a difference if it's that strainer or something else. When they say cleanable, I think that just means scraping anything off that screen. But to be honest I've never seen anything on mine so I think your dealer is correct, unless your transmission is different.

-font-b-FILTER-b-font-TRANSMISION-AUTO-MATICA-OEM-35330-52010-for-font-b-Toyota.jpg

Toyota's ditched the fine mesh strainer for the last 10-15 years or so - they've been using the Filtran Microfelt filter like the Americans have been. I did it once on my parent's Sienna and it's not getting touched ever again, and while I would feel better taking their other car to the shop since it's a "sealed" unit that is filled from underneath, I think having the filter changed isn't too bad of an ordeal. Their other car also uses a Filtran filter.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Toyota's ditched the fine mesh strainer for the last 10-15 years or so - they've been using the Filtran Microfelt filter like the Americans have been. I did it once on my parent's Sienna and it's not getting touched ever again, and while I would feel better taking their other car to the shop since it's a "sealed" unit that is filled from underneath, I think having the filter changed isn't too bad of an ordeal. Their other car also uses a Filtran filter.

Thanks for the update, I'm a bit behind of course. It's not surprising that the dealer would not have a filter in stock, my local dealers have very minimal stock.

Hi OP, I have a 04 toyota Sienna and was told the filter was a mesh type as well. Can you post the part number? I want to replace the filter.

Also do you have more info on how to drop the pan? What size bolts and ive never jacked up my transmission before, any info on that? Thank you.

They are cleanable . No dismount required. Would I tolerate this ? Nha . You did good changing oil filter. . It's a drag but now you are sure only filter is full of it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Hi OP, I have a 04 toyota Sienna and was told the filter was a mesh type as well. Can you post the part number? I want to replace the filter.

Also do you have more info on how to drop the pan? What size bolts and ive never jacked up my transmission before, any info on that? Thank you.

The 2004-on Siennas use a SPX Filtran felt filter. AFAIK, the filter itself is an easy swap, 2-3 bolts and an O-ring(don't lose it or the car will shift funny!). The pan is a PITA, there's a few bolts hidden by the subframe. A 10mm socket will work on the rest - for those bolts, a 10mm box wrench and attack them from the driver's side wheelhouse. Be careful - it's easy to strip those threads if the bolts aren't perfectly square when you start them in.

While it's a good practice to change the filter, none of my dealer tech friends (including myself) change them. Why? If the filter is plugged/restricted, the transmission already has issues. Toyota does not require fluid changes anyway under normal service so any work you do is already above and beyond the requirement.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Toyota usually wont change out filters just drain and fills. I have never bothered changing the filter either, so far no issues.

I have yet to find any dealership that will do a drain & fill. They will only do the flush.

The whole no change tranny fluid thing is a total crock. You aren't going to get a tranny to 200k without doing it. Especially with a life with a lot of stop and go traffic. I am still a firm believer in drop the pan, clean the magnets, change the filter, refill. Every 40k keeps the transmission devils at bay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back