M1-EP vs vanilla M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doublebase
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: doublebase
after 5,000 miles the car starts to use oil. So I'm keeping my intervals between 5-7k, tops.

Your engine uses oil uniformly throughout the OCI, even when oil is completely fresh, not after 5,000 miles. It appears that way because the oil dipsticks are nonlinear.

All I know is that when I check it at 1,000 miles the oil level is right on the "full" line. When I check it at 2,000 miles it's right at the "full" line. When I check it at 3,000 miles it's right at the "full" line. When I check it at 4,000 miles it's right at the "full" line.

Then when I check it at 5,000 miles it's about halfway between full and add. I add half a quart. I check it at 6,000 miles and it's halfway between full and add. I add half a quart. I check it between 6,000-7,000 miles more often and I'm adding a little here, a little there.

So for the first 4,000 miles the car doesn't lose anything based on the readings of the dipstick...measured on the same level surface and a cold engine every single time. After that? It needs to be topped off consistently.

I'm 2,500 miles in on an oil change right now, I've pulled the dipstick 3 times and the level hasn't moved one single bit...dead on level full. And I'll keep checking it as I always do - I'm fully expecting it to do what it usually does - start using oil after 4,000 miles. It seems to either thin out, shear...I don't know?? After that number, but whatever it is, it doesn't do it the first 4,000 miles. I know that sounds funny, but perhaps the oil loses its NOACK properties over that range and evaporate a little? I do basically the same commute everyday...80 miles, all highway....another 100 on country roads during the weekend. Very little stop and go driving. Easy driving all the time. This oil thing never changes...there's threads a mile long on clublexus.com about others experiencing the same thing.

You can easily check the linearity of your dipstick next time you change oil. Instead of dumping the entire fill spec in at once, fill a quart less. Check the dipstick level. Then fill the remaining quart in 1/4 quart increments, while checking the dipstick level every time. This will show you how the oil level on the dipstick actually changes.

Gokhan, I have done what you said many many times on many many different oil changes, including my current car. If I fill it a quart under, the dipstick reads low, if I add a 1/4 quart it rises about a quarter of the way up to the full mark...add some more...it rises more...more...it rises more. Until it's finally full. Simple. That's what a dipstick is for, to measure the amount of oil in your pan.

I've never heard of dipstick linearity on a car. I mean I suppose if we're talking about a couple ounces, it may not register on the dipstick, right? I guess I can understand that if that's what you're trying to say, but when I say that the oil level looks like it hasn't moved - stays on full - until I reach around 4,000-5,000 miles....I mean it is on the "full" mark that entire time. Then, after 4,000 miles or so, it's a different story for my car. Then when I check it every 500/700 miles, it loses 1/2-3/4 of quart. For the first 4,000 miles? Nothing. Like I said...perhaps the oil has sheared at that point...perhaps the NOACK values have dropped?

I'm sure there is minute usage of the oil for those first 4,000 miles, and perhaps it's not really registering on the dipstick, but after 4,000 miles that small amount of usage changes into a much larger amount of usage for some reason.

Last edited:
I like your reasoning doublebase, and I agree.

I would also guess NOACK percentage has 'risen'.

also, let us not forget it may have sheared and the oil film may not be as tough and gets 'chewed' up easier after the oil has been ran in.

A typical (sump) oil surface area at 'FULL' level is always the same surface area as at 'ADD' level.
There is always linearity in between 'FULL' and 'ADD' levels.
Though the same cannot be said of oil surface area at oil pump suction level, which is always smaller.
blush.gif

If the horizontal cross-sectional area of the oil reservoir increases upward, the dipstick reading will be nonlinear in the way you are seeing.

There may be other reasons, such as oil thinning over the OCI or rings sticking over the OCI, perhaps due to oil quality degrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back