Trailer wiring connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the original wiring on my old trailer (no trailer brakes) had 5 wires that ran to a flat 4 prong plug. Wires were white, green, green/brown, yellow and yellow/brown. The yellow/brown wire broke off right at the plug. So I had an extra flat 4 prong plug but it was only 4 wire (white, brown, yellow and green). Am I correct that white is ground which is easy to figure out since it goes to a bolt on the trailer frame? Green is right signal, yellow is left signal and brown is parking/side marker lights?

So I ran white to white, green to green, yellow to yellow and both the yellow/brown and green/brown wires to the brown on the connector. I have brake lights but no parking or side marker lights. And when I turn either turn signal on they both flash. It's an old trailer I bought used pretty many years ago so not sure how they wired it but what should I try to get lights working properly again?

I ran into the same issue rewiring a trailer. What has happened is that the color coding is not universal and you have wires that are crossed between your vehicle and the trailer. Best solution is to take a test light, turn a blinker on for example, find which port is flashing on the vehicle and match that port to the wire you have on the trailer.

Does you towing vehicle have combo brake and turn or separate ligjts? That can be an issue. I would get a 12v battery, sit it next to the trailer and with alligator clip leads going battery to wiring connector, test the lights without the tow vehicle.

If it's an older trailer you probably have at least one light with a bad ground.

Disc brakes use a 5th wire for a solenoid to disable brakes when backing.

So they had the trailer wired different as suspected. The left turn signal was the green/brown and right signal was the yellow/brown. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back