brakes don't want to work on wet roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A small crack in the axle ABS tone ring(s) could give similar symptoms, though not just in wet weather. My 2002 Continental showed it mostly at slower speeds when coming towards a stop. You could pull the ABS fuse (ABS warning light comes on) and go out for a test run and see if the problem stays, or goes away. In my case I had to replace the left front axle as the tone ring comes with it.

Could the wet weather be causing a damaged ABS wheel sensor to fire off inadvertently? I'd check the sensors and the tone rings. And lousy low grip tires could be the culprit too.

Some tires (especially energy saving tires) are terrible on wet roads. What you describe is the ABS kicking in, and probably with tires that are terrible on wet roads.

It does not matter that the tires only have 10K miles on them. Tires that are terrible in the rain can be, and usually are terrible from the beginning of their life. It has to do with the formulation of the rubber. I'm not 100% sure but I think it has to do with including too much silicon in the rubber compound to reduce rolling resistance.

My sister and her husband bought a new Grand Marquis and the first time they drove it in the rain they ended up sliding through an intersection that the car should have been able to stop for. It was because the tires were terrible in the rain. They had to get a new set of tires for it, and after that it was fine in the rain.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
My 2000 town car would give the feeling of jumping sideways when applying the brakes on very wet roads. I never figured out why but it was scary. Some Google research suggested it was because of the left, right front back caliper arrangement of the rear axle but who knows.

It does sound like your abs is coming on early though.

Yes, yes, and yes!!!! Mine does jump sideways too on wet roads. Sometimes to the right, sometimes to the left. It sure is scary! You know the feeling.

So if this is the abs, then it definitely is coming on early. Too early. I'm not at the point of skidding yet. I'm pressing the brakes with some force but not slamming them.

Last edited:
Its possible then as another poster suggested that one of the sensors is not reading correctly. Its not uncommmon for them to get covered in iron filings from the brakes and have trouble reading the reluctor wheel as a result.

Thats interesting the theory about the rear caliper arrangement causing the pull. I have a different one.

The ABS on these cars is 3 channel, not 4 channel. So both rear brakes are in parallel. If one side gets to the point of locking up, the ABS is going to release both rear brakes to stop that from happening. The other side wouldve released early, so it might cause a pull like it had a stuck caliper for a split second.

They went 4 channel in 2003.

Originally Posted By: gallydif

So if this is the abs, then it definitely is coming on early. Too early. I'm not at the point of skidding yet. I'm pressing the brakes with some force but not slamming them.

Thats the point of ABS, to keep from skidding. Watch the video I posted above, especally the second part where the camera was watching the tire. No skid. Some noise, but no skid because the ABS reacts fast enough to release it before that happens.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with horrible wet weather traction on the OEM Goodyear tires that came with a new 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe I bought.

And, if you lightly step on the gas in the rain the tires would spin on the pavement a bit before hooking up.

Goodyear tires are really bad IMO.

Last edited:
Goodyear Integritys probably just aren't up to the task of stopping a 4,000 lb Panther.

Tirerack.com has 1,879 reviews with 2.5 stars average and 3.0/10.0 rating for "Would buy again".

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Thats interesting the theory about the rear caliper arrangement causing the pull. I have a different one.

The ABS on these cars is 3 channel, not 4 channel. So both rear brakes are in parallel. If one side gets to the point of locking up, the ABS is going to release both rear brakes to stop that from happening. The other side wouldve released early, so it might cause a pull like it had a stuck caliper for a split second.

They went 4 channel in 2003.

I never had abs activation when it happened with mine, and it would happen with a normal amount of brake pressure. It would only happen when it raining pretty hard and letting off the brake and re-applying them (during the same stop) would not repeat the problem.

I just had to remember to go easy on the brakes for the first split second in the rain.

I was always surprised that more people don't have this issue seeing that the platform/axle is so common.

It will do it in the dry if you do it hard enough. Find somewhere out in the open and stand on the pedal. You will feel the same pulsation.
What model goodyears?

I tried it on dry pavement. Absolutely NO abs! I just end up skidding. Also when I slam on the brakes, the 'door ajar' light comes on for a second then goes back off.

there is nothing better then slamming on your brakes all the time for no reason it loosens everything up another good thing is shifting it into "R" for racing at say about 50 mph that will really make it sing..
Sounds like either ABS is kicking in or you are just skidding.

Are they simply getting wet..
try lightly dragging the brakes for a few seconds then applying.

Wet soaked brakes take abit to dry off and work properly.

IE you are driving along highway in rain storm and havent touched them for a few mins.

Some pads are better than others.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Are they simply getting wet..
try lightly dragging the brakes for a few seconds then applying.

Wet soaked brakes take abit to dry off and work properly.

IE you are driving along highway in rain storm and havent touched them for a few mins.

Some pads are better than others.

I came in to say this same thing.

Also, pull the ABS fuse and see how driving goes.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
This is a 2000 lincoln town car. The tires have less than 10k on them. Basically new. Goodyear's. I've slammed on the brakes during dry weather and this doesn't happen fyi

No Goodyear tire I've ever been stuck with could stop in the wet. I wouldn't blame the Brakes until you try them with a different Tire. Goodyear + Rain = Surf Board

Last edited:
To isolate the problem, I would disconnect the ABS/traction control fuse and see how the car behaves. It totally does not sound like a tire problem. I'm not sure why people are bashing on the tires?
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
To isolate the problem, I would disconnect the ABS/traction control fuse and see how the car behaves. It totally does not sound like a tire problem. I'm not sure why people are bashing on the tires?
21.gif

Cause those particular ones are a known poor choice.
Some data from Tire Rack test.
Code:

Tire Line Wet (feet) % vs. Baseline

Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 105.2 +20.2%

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred 106.7 +19.0%

Michelin Energy Saver A/S 107.2 +18.7%

Yokohama dB Super E-Spec 107.6 +18.4%

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 108.7 +17.5%

Michelin HydroEdge w/ Green X 112.5 +14.6%

Goodyear Integrity 131.8 ---

Even other Energy Saving tires improve wet performance by 15-20%

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
21.gif

Cause those particular ones are a known poor choice.
Some data from Tire Rack test.

OP said the car "jumps" and that the pedal pushes back on him, nowhere does he say that he's skidding when taking turns or experiencing poor traction during rain in general. And what tire would cause the car to "jump" when pushing the brake pedal?
I'm sure he would notice poor traction in other situations if the tires were the culprit.

Pedal pushing back is normal ABS action. The jumping...I have no idea what hes trying to describe with that. One of those things where I'd have to ride/drive the car to see exactly what he means by that.

^ correct KrisZ. Has to do with the abs, or the pads not catching on the rotors, or something else. But not the tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back