'88 Caddy Brougham - dark oil + lifters noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I just purchased the car last month and has 66k miles. I changed the engine oil recently and I drove the car ~300ish miles. While the car was sitting in my mechanic garage to do a tune up, he changed the engine oil as well. He said the oil so dark. I told him that I just changed the oil and he was surprised. He also mentioned that the lifters are bit tired & old.

Anyway, I took the car for a drive today (2 days after the recent oil change) and the weather was a bit cold and there was a ticking noise coming from the engine. Once the car fully warmed up and the sound gone. However, I was driving up-hill then the ticking sound came back again.

The question now, what is the recommendation for (OCI, oil type and grade, & buildup cleaners (e.g., seafoam, berryman, MMO)?

Your input will be very helpful

Last edited:
A good plan for build up cleaning would start with cleaning the oil pan and cleaning the oil pump. Others will steer you to the right oil and cleaners.

BG109 in the oil. Change at short intervals for a while. Valvoline Maxlife (red-bottle) 10W-40 for a while and see if the issues clear up by the third change or so ...
smile.gif

Napa Gold filter - the largest one that will physically fit. Have them do a cross reference for gasket size and thread size.

No it should have an Oldsmobile 307 with a roller cam. The nylon timing gear could be coming apart and clogging up the oil pump but probably only if you were lied to about the mileage. My 87 Caprice I used to have had the 307 and I replaced the timing set at about 170k and it was just starting to have stress cracks.

Yeah, the Olds 307 was converted to roller lifters after 1984. I owned both versions of the engine, a 1984 model with flat lifters and a 1987 model with roller lifters; the roller model was much smoother. Due only to the lifters? I don't know, but it was a smooth little motor.

Two big questions: What is in there now? How much is in there? The noise returning when going up hill makes me wonder: Is that noise due to the engine working harder, or due to oil starvation at the front half of the engine?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Does that car have the 4.1L or 4.5l engine? If so those were garbage! They ate cams,lifters and head gaskets like they were chocolate

It has the more reliable engine olds 307

Originally Posted By: askani79705
I would put a high mileage synthetic in it and let the oil do all the work.

Any recommendation of high mileage oil?

Originally Posted By: typ901
It should have a 305 or 350 in it.

Olds 307

Originally Posted By: Indyvwhonda
Two big questions: What is in there now? How much is in there? The noise returning when going up hill makes me wonder: Is that noise due to the engine working harder, or due to oil starvation at the front half of the engine?

The oil is 5w30 (unknown brand) I will contact the mechanic for it. I just checked the oil and it is full.

Originally Posted By: momo
Does that car have the 4.1L or 4.5l engine? If so those were garbage! They ate cams,lifters and head gaskets like they were chocolate

good! No power but better than the 4.1,4.5 and 4.9 engines

good! No power but better than the 4.1,4.5 and 4.9 engines

What do you recommend in this case?

Mine didn't seem to care what oil I had in it. I ran 0w30 gc in the coldest part of the winter, and whatever 5w30 synthetic was on sale in the summer. But it was a well maintained good running engine. It's still sitting on a stand as a spare.

Is it 66.000 miles or 166,000 miles or 266,000 miles they wear very well and its very very hard to tell... Maybe do a car fax or a Motor vehicle mileage lookup year by year.
Those are great cars!

Driving uphill and the ticking sound came back? Are you sure its a ticking sound and not a knocking sound or maybe an exhaust leak? Those 5.0 307 v8 Oldsmobile engines are very very good engines, they don't have loads of power or a lot of horsepower but they run forever..

Originally Posted By: askani79705
I would put a high mileage synthetic in it and let the oil do all the work.

Any recommendation of high mileage oil?

Castrol Edge High Mileage but,I'm sure you wouldn't be wrong to use the Mobil 1 or Penzoil product either.They're all about $23 a 5 qt jug at WalMart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back