Which Oil for Duramax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys: It's been quite a while since I've been on this forum, but I'm back, and I'd like to start off with a question and request for advice. I purchased a 2015 Silverado 2500 HD DA a little while back, and my free oil changes are about to expire. I believe that the dealer was using Delvac when changing the oil. In my previous Duramax Diesels I used Delo 400 which I could purchase at Costco at a fair price. Does any of you have an opinion as to which is a better oil for the Duramax - Delo 400 or Delvac?

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up some Delo yesterday the 15W30 for $13
If you had good luck with Delo- I'd stick with what you know.

I also noted that on the DELO 400 carton it no longer sates "Oil for Diesel Engine". It just states Heavy Duty Motor Oil. This made me skeptical that it meets the diesel requirements.

Originally Posted By: Jamn
I also noted that on the DELO 400 carton it no longer sates "Oil for Diesel Engine". It just states Heavy Duty Motor Oil. This made me skeptical that it meets the diesel requirements.

What specifications does it list?

You're saying that because they changed the tag line they may be lying about meeting listed specifications?

I'm just concerned that every other manufacturer (Delvac..you name it) states "oil for Diesel Engines" on the jug, and the carton. No where on the Delo 400 label does it state that its for Diesel Engines. It used to. I guess I'll have to check the specs...

Just so you know "DELO" stands for Diesel Engine Lubricating Oil. It has always been formulated primarily for diesel engine use. It has the latest CJ-4 diesel oil certification.

Thanks for that information. I'll probably switch from the Delvac that the dealer was using to DELO, mainly because the chart provided indicates that it's s good oil, and it readily available at Costco at a good price... Thanks everyone for all the help..

Thanks for that information. I'll probably switch from the Delvac that the dealer was using to DELO, mainly because the chart provided indicates that it's s good oil, and it readily available at Costco at a good price... Thanks everyone for all the help..

You're welcome. You can't go wrong with any of the popular diesel oils whether it be Mobil Delvac, Shell Rosella, or Chevron Delo. The Duramax is easy on oil and will not have any issues with those oils. I've always used either Delvac 1300 or Rotella in our family's 2007 Duramax. I tend to buy the 2.5 gallon bottle as this is exactly how much the Duramax takes.

The Duramax is not a picky engine about oil, any good HDEO that meets the required certification will work very well. I personally run Rotella T6 5w-40 because of the wildly fluctuating temperatures around here (-40 to 100) and I run a 10,000mi OCI.

10,0000NI OCI sounds like where I was at with my last 2 Duramax's. With this one, the information center drops oil life down to 50% in about 1000 miles. I'm not driving it as much as my last trucks, and the dealer tells me that when I start it up once or twice a week to move it (literally about 30 feet) the information center calculates that as a short trip and drives down the oil life. This sounds ridiculous and I'm now logging the % drop daily.

Seriously? Aye yie yie....

Delo, Delvac 1300 or the Rotella HDEO oils are as good as it gets and there probably isn't any difference over the life of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back