Found a good high zinc breakin oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had asked on here about a good high zinc oil for my new 406 flat tappet engine and got lots of ideas, but most suggestions seemed to be questionable on actual numbers. I was at my supply shop and saw a "Maxima" display which had a "2X Zinc" breaking oil. My machinist had already set me up with his favorite but I made a note of this brand to run it by you guys.

Maxima breaking oil for flat tappet cams

enginedone.jpg

Looks like you've spent some money in the aftermarket. Is there any reason why you didn't go with roller lifters?

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Looks like you've spent some money in the aftermarket. Is there any reason why you didn't go with roller lifters?

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Good morning Kruse. I can't believe how many people are up this early!
My original build was going to be a 350 roller block vertex into a 383. After all I wanted to do and cost comparisons, my machinist uncovered a never bored 4 bolt main 400. Adding the much better flowing aluminum heads, Scat crank and rods, Comp cam and on it went, the cost went WAY past where I hoped. I had to make a few tradeoffs. My cam is not aggressive enough to really need a set of roller lifters. I currently have a very strong 355 that has (a few left) roller rockers. They started spitting out the trunion pivot bearings at the worst time! LoL
I cut about $400 by going flat tappet and roller tip rockers instead of full roller, but I got 50 extra cubes in the deal. Every thing was carefully selected and I'm pretty meticulous when I'm building,,,,cause at 63 years old, its my turn to have some go-fast fun!!

If it's a mild hydraulic cam, likely all you need is the SuperTech 10W-30 or 20W-50 you're already using in your trucks - for break-in and everyday. If you want to get exotic, switch to M1 0W-40 or 15W-50 after the rings are well broken in -say 5-10k miles down the road.

I'm not a Comp Cams fan. But they have been having better luck lately that say two years ago keeping flat tappets alive. What's the pressure over the nose and on the seat? The big deal is the selection of lifters used. Howard's or Crower Cam Saver direct lube lifters seem to be the best at living in the modern world.

I would not run anyone's special break-in oil. They are not really proven to be reliable. IF you have good Crane Cams black lube paste on all the lobes and you really pre-oil the system and you have it timed right and the carb full so it lights right off, you will have much better luck
smile.gif

I'd go straight to Valvoline VR-1 SAE 30 (Silver Bottle) and break it in on that. All oil, high ZDDP and no VII's... Put a magnetic drain plug in it. Run a Napa Gold filter. Keep the R's up while breaking in. Keep it cool.

How did the lifters feel going in? Any stiff or not want to turn by finger going in ? I'd really like to know if all the push rods are spinning as they should when running in. Number one indicator of an issue. If they all are, you are good to go
laugh.gif

I'm really kind of surprised how many people recommend supertech I buy the 5-quart jug and it's just barely $2 a quart. But I've been running it for many many years and never had a problem. Where is the cam selection I've run crane iskenderian comp in my sons killer 400 that we built a few years ago. I had a crane that's in my current 3:55 doing this perfectly on Walmart oil. I personally have no issue at all with flat tappet cams even with today's oil I've only seen one can go bad in my entire life and the kid who drove the truck was an idiot I'd like to run it 3 quarts down. Spring pressures on the heads are not anything to get excited about these are basically an entry-level Edelbrock aluminum complete in the Box head. Hundred and 85 CC intake runner 202 intake valve no exhaust crossover just a good flowing modest set of heads that should complement everything we've done. I've built many many engines over my lifetime and a lot of thought went into this woman I'm hoping it'll be just as good as all the other ones. Biggest problem is it's so darn hot here in Phoenix it makes pulling an engine not particularly exciting. I've got a big giant bag around it right now sitting in the corner of my shop with the air conditioning on waiting for just the right time to come out and start tearing it apart. Anybody up for a road trip wants to help I cook a mean barbecue.

I just re-read my previous post I used my voice program on my cell phone I need to get inside on the computer and fix it quick Corrections it does not read too good sorry about that it's kind of funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back