Finding #1 Cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I took the plug wires loose on a 1993 Ram D150 with the Magnum 318 engine. I know the firing order but can I take the distributor cap off to find the #1 cylinder?

Thanks.

Odd #s on the driver's side,
Even #s down the passenger.

With the engine at TDC, the distributor should (SHOULD) point to #1. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Google usually finds drawings / diagrams for this easily.

Yes if you rotate the crankshaft to the TDC mark, the rotor will point either at #1 or the one 180 degrees away from it.

Sometimes the cap is marked, either with all the numbers or a mark next to #1.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I have the firing order and everything but when I hook the wires back up, it wont start. I thought I may have hooked them up wrong and taking off the distributor cap would show #1 cylinder.

I thought I had the #1 cylinder but if I can find the 180 from it, it will tell me the right one. I didn't take anything loose or anything just the plug wires.

Last edited:
IF you put #1 on the post that the rotor points to with the crank at TDC you have a 50/50 chance of being right. If it doesn't start, swap all the wires 180 degrees, i.e. move them directly across to the other side of the cap.

Also with the cap off you should confirm the direction of distributor rotation is what you think it is. Rotate the crank 90 degrees clockwise away from TDC-- the way it turns while running-- and the rotor should be over to #8.

Last edited:
What work was performed? Any chance you could have the timing off a tooth? Does it crank freely or does it seem labored?

I can't count the number of times I've fixed old Chevys by making sure the distributor was clocked correctly.

No work was done, just taking plug wires loose. Thats what I dont get. The rotor turns clockwise according to the Haynes manual and info from google.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the firing order also mean the order the plug wires connect to the distributor? The order being 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 going clockwise on the distributor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motorguy222
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the firing order also mean the order the plug wires connect to the distributor? The order being 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 going clockwise on the distributor.

That is correct, assuming the underlying information is correct.

Most diagrams online show #2 is the post most forward on the cap so #1 should be the next clockwise, but many things can happen over the years. (like someone putting the distributor in wrong and then rewiring it to make it work)

To verify where #1 is on the cap you need # 1 TDC on the Compression Stroke easiest way to find that is to pull the number one plug and manually rotate the engine with your finger over the plug hole (needless to say don't get your finger stuck in there) and feel for compression... when it is trying to blow your finger off the hole coming up on TDC that is the compression stroke.

In the future, it is easiest to do the wires one at a time and avoid this sort of thing.

Wrong, all wrong.

The #1 cylinder does not face the front, it faces the passenger side fender.

I was able to get the cap off and it has #1 on the cap, hooked the wires up starting there and it fired up.

I read on the internet that the Magnum engine comes from the factory set this way, it was right.

The Haynes manual and most other "info" got it wrong.

I had a 1990 Dodge van with a 3.8 v6. It was an actioned Bell Atlantic truck that I bought for $1400 with just about 100K miles. I assume the motor was never opened before I bought it. The cam and distributer were both rotated 180 degrees from what I was told was the factory positions. No problem but it really confused me when I went to try to time it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back