Tie-Rod Brands? AcDelco, B&A, Mevotech, MOOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car needs new tie-rod ends. Not sure which brand to look at. Other than OEM, looking for a quality after market. Anybody try AcDelco, Beck&Arnley, MOOG, Mevotech joints on there cars and have any good luck with a particular one? All are within a $10 difference between them...not sure who to choose or who to avoid?

Last edited:
If I were you I would go OEM. Order online. Tie-rods are critical. Aftermarket isn't good enough for me. When my Silverado needed them I went OEM and got good piece of mind.

I have used Moog, AC Delco, and even duralast from autozone suspension parts. I have had no issues with any of the above. I used in GM vehicles. I just did my escalade w everything Moog and it runs / feels normal. I was considering mevotech but almost every review I read on them were no good.

If they are for your Accord you may want to check Autozone. Sometimes they rebox 555 brand parts that are Made in Japan. I've had good luck with tie rods from O'Reilly Auto Parts; their Import Direct steering parts that I've purchased for imports have been decent quality and were Made in Turkey.

Go Moog, but not only Moog,meet the Moog "Problem Solver". Those are the ones that are had good luck with them. I order most of my car parts on Amazon, but usually use Rock Auto for part numbers to double check.

Don't get Mevotech, cheap junk. I put a Mevotech track bar on my grandfather's 1996 Jeep Cherokee a few months ago. It's seen maybe 800-1,000 miles since then and the bushing is already toast, very very loose. I just ordered a Moog track bar for it a few days ago on Amazon. Also put on a cheap steering stabilizer 1-1/2 years ago (it might have been Mevotech, can't remember). It is making popping noises from where it bolts up, I crawled underneath and grabbed it and it pops bad. Ordered a new Moog at the same time as the track bar.

I put some Moog Problem Solvers on my Accord not too long ago. They're well-constructed & made in the USA. As long as I keep greasing them every oil change, they should last a good while.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
If I were you I would go OEM. Order online. Tie-rods are critical. Aftermarket isn't good enough for me. When my Silverado needed them I went OEM and got good piece of mind.

Going by his Signature it looks like it's for his SAAB so OEM is not a option.

Nothing wrong with moog. Yes you can get oem from places like eeuroparts, Jim Ellis saab and others. Personally, I would buy and have bought the ac delco.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I have used Moog, AC Delco, and even duralast from autozone suspension parts. I have had no issues with any of the above. I used in GM vehicles. I just did my escalade w everything Moog and it runs / feels normal. I was considering mevotech but almost every review I read on them were no good.
Originally Posted By: Kool1
If they are for your Accord you may want to check Autozone. Sometimes they rebox 555 brand parts that are Made in Japan. I've had good luck with tie rods from O'Reilly Auto Parts; their Import Direct steering parts that I've purchased for imports have been decent quality and were Made in Turkey.

Its for my SAAB93

I thought the same until they were close to $100/each but made in germany. Still a little too much for a 10+yr old car.

Originally Posted By: Tech819

Going by his Signature it looks like it's for his SAAB so OEM is not a option.

OEM parts are still available but close to a hundred bucks each.

I've always used Moog Problem Solver for Tie Rods, Control Arms & Swaybar Links with no problems. If the car is something like a Porsche, BMW or Mercedes the OEM might be better but for other applications the Moog will be jut as good and in some cases better ( certainly better than steering components from Chrysler, Hyundai, any Daewoo-sourced Chevy's & Suzukis and probably cheaper GM models as well)

02-05 Altimas have miserable OEM Tie Rods & Ball Joints and in no way worth the extra 30% cost. One time I got the OEM Tie Rod and it needed replacing again within 12 months. The Moog I put on the other side is still OK at 24 months - which is actually pretty good for where I live, the roads have been so horrible here the last dozen years it's not unusual to do at least one Tie Rod every 16-24 months.

I think the Moog Problem Solvers are still good parts, but I ran across a situation a couple of weeks ago that dropped my opinion of them, at least a little bit.
I ordered some upper and lower control arms for my kid's car from Rock Auto. The lower control arms I ordered were Moog Problem Solvers. When I get the parts, I noticed that the right lower control arm was a genuine "Problem Solver", but the left control arm was a TRW part. Thinking somebody had done a switcharoo on me, I got a hold of RockAuto and had them send me out another Problem Solver part and had them send me a return shipping label for the TRW part, all on their dime. I noticed the new part they sent me was also a TRW. (IMO, TRW is not a bad brand, it's just that the name has been discontinued for a few years and has usually been sold at a discounted price) I complained to them on their web site in their complaints section and didn't hear back from them. I called their 800 number to comment on the situation and they told me that the TRW brand has the same lifetime warranty as their Problem Solvers and that I should just live with it. In other words, we will sell you a part labeled as a Problem Solver, in reality we know it is not a Problem Solver, and we really don't care.
Since this isn't RockAuto's fault, I sent it back on my dime and installed an AC Delco lower control arm.

For decades TRW (Thompson Toledo before that)was a premier brand. Around 15 years ago the chassis parts business was sold to the Chinese (or production was moved to China) and the quality went down the tubes. There were thousands of defective parts made and 100's of lawsuits. TRW chassis parts went away.

Originally Posted By: Eddie Hudson
For decades TRW (Thompson Toledo before that)was a premier brand. Around 15 years ago the chassis parts business was sold to the Chinese (or production was moved to China) and the quality went down the tubes. There were thousands of defective parts made and 100's of lawsuits. TRW chassis parts went away.

Thirteen years as a member. Six posts. When Eddie Hudson posts, people listen. Nice....
(Just razzing ya, Eddie. Seriously, thanks for the input)

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
I thought the same until they were close to $100/each but made in germany. Still a little too much for a 10+yr old car.

Yeah, I didn't realize for the Saab. I can see where 100 bucks a pop would make you think twice. As others have said, Moog or high end NAPA.

Beck Arnley has really good customer service and if you email them with the part number they'll tell you the country of origin.

The last tie rod ends I bought were for a VW and the BA part was made in Germany and appeared good quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back